Milk

When I lived in the US I met Argentines who talked about the local food just like broccoliandtea talks about Arg. food.

Some of them were stationed there for five or ten years, but they never got to learn anything about the country, or enjoyed the good things it had to offer. They closed their minds and rejected the whole package, choosing to exist in a state of suspended animation, so to speak. So, they returned to Argentina having learned nothing. A pity.

It would be nice for broccoli to open her mind a bit, and try focusing on what's good, instead of harping on what's bad. There are positive and negative things in every country - what we see depends on our attitude.

The market in El Galpón has milk from supposedly local dairies, and I think it is even organic. If you ask quietly you can have them bring you a liter of raw milk the following Wednesday or Saturday (the only two days the market is open, I think), which is actually illegal to sell for human consumption, just like in the states. I haven't tried it yet only because I can't guarantee I'll be back at the market the next time to pick up the milk!

I don't have any complaints about the milk especially (albeit I'm not really a milk drinker), but I have found that when I drink milk at friends' houses (usually in coffee) a lot of people buy the "larga vida" kind, and I find it terribly suspicious that milk should ever last for 3 months or whatever it is, and outside of a refrigerator to boot! Maybe you should check to see if you are buying this type of milk? Another suggestion, I'm a Sancor brand fan, maybe you'll have better luck with them? Good luck.

And I don't think we should gang up on broccoliandtea and accuse her of being close-minded, she (he?) was just stating an opinion.

And as for the milk prices, isn't milk quite heavily subsidized in the US? Or maybe it is that the milk is subsidized to keep the prices up, that might be it...

One thing that's certainly different from the US is that we don't have the ultra-pasteurized perma-milk that they do in Argentina (and, it seems, just about every other place other than the US). Does this affect the taste?

yups, also figured probably broccoliandtea mistakenly bought soy milk or even the larga vida milk which tasts different and is not as good as the regular one. (in brazil i once bought salt thinking it was sugar hehe, the packaging of the salt there is the same as the packaging we use here for the sugar. Made my self a smoothie with tons of "sugar" as i like it and started chugging it heehehhe. needless to say what happend next :x ) Anyway, I dont believe it was anybody´s intention to attack him/her, but the truth is that the original post ending with "...Things are always a bit shady here. Can we trust the milk?..." may suggest that the person is at least being kinda close minded or very negative, at least here in BA (do not know broccoliandtea so I cannot really be sure he/she is always like this or not)
Sancor and LaSerenisima are the best dairy brands quality wise (though a bit more expensive than the others) and about the high prices im not really sure but 10 years ago there were 10 times as many tambos (where they milk the cows...dont know the english word for it :) than today (kirchners being responsible for the most part). I guess this, plus inflation and whatnot contributes to the high prices.

-Juan

From what I know, the milk industry was the first to be gutted by the Ks. Friends of mine who had a long-established dairy farm had to liquidate their herd, because what they got for the milk would not pay expenses. It was heartbreaking, as it takes years to raise and improve a dairy herd and set up a good tambo.

Really sad, that happend to countless people in the industry (and other industries as well)

It is happening in North America also and it is really sad no matter where in the world it is. Thanks for the info.

Though this isn't about milk, it IS about how nice so many "Argies" are ... I was taking an unfamiliar bus today and the driver said he'd let me know when he got to my stop. It being rush hour, the bus filled up and I got pushed back to the middle of the bus.

When the bus was approaching my stop, the driver relayed through three different English speaking Argies, that the next stop was mine. It was so cool! It was like the "pass it on" game of childhood, the message being passed on to the middle of the bus where I was standing rather anxiously.

I was really touched about everyone's concern that I not miss my stop.

Back