Milk

Gaucho Sam said:
Mini, you can do it with actual milk as well though, which is what I assume bajo_cero 2 means, since she talks about using milk to make it. You heat it up on the stove with some brown sugar or something, but I'll let BC2 explain because the one time I tried it (with some help from my Argentine then-girlfriend!) it got very, very messy indeed. A hint: if you don't get it just right, you may have to buy a new saucepan.

Yes, I know how to make dulce de leche in a sauce pan with "actual" milk. Condensed milk is milk BTW with the sugar already in it & as was said above you don't have to worry about the milk being watery as Bajo mentioned. If you do it in the can you don't have to stir anything or make sure it sticks to the pan or burns, etc. There is nothing easier than putting a can in a BIG pot of water, check every a few times that the water hasn't evaporated & done.

mini said:
Yes, I know how to make dulce de leche in a sauce pan with "actual" milk. Condensed milk is milk BTW with the sugar already in it & as was said above you don't have to worry about the milk being watery as Bajo mentioned. If you do it in the can you don't have to stir anything or make sure it sticks to the pan or burns, etc. There is nothing easier than putting a can in a BIG pot of water, check every a few times that the water hasn't evaporated & done.

Oh apologies then. I grew up in the English countryside and have never had condensed milk - I thought it was powder or something that one had to add water to in order to drink it.

I've just made myself look very stupid haven't I. But you learn something new every day!

Gaucho Sam: What you are thinking of is evaporated milk, which you just add water to make back to milk.. i think is like 60% of liquid (water) is taken out.
Condensed milk is sweetened, and is usually called sweeten condensed milk.. which should be just evaporated milk and sugar, but they put all sorts of things in it now. Nestle is still just milk and sugar.

The reason i know this, is i use it to make ice coffee (my coffee addiction), and have found that the cheaper brands in NZ and AU have either more sugar then milk, or oil (palm) added, which changes the taste.

Gaucho Sam said:
I've just made myself look very stupid haven't I. But you learn something new every day!

Totally not! I hope I was not being nasty.... I didn't mean that.

It's used mostly for desserts & sweets. You won't use it instead of milk, say in your coffee. Well you could but it would be REALLY sweet. It comes in a can, thus making dulce de leche by dropping the can into a pot of boiling water and letting it cook.

It looks like this: (first product listed)
http://www.nestle.co.uk/ourbrands/productrange/creamsanddesserts/carnation/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed_milk

ETA: opps! I see that davonz actully DOES use it in his coffee.... It's also noted in the wiki page that it is commonly used in sweet tea & coffe.... LOL. Sorry! :D

Thanks Davonz, and Mini - and no, I wasn't offended! - that makes far more sense now.

I find the dairy products here to be much better... When I go back to the US, the milk tastes awful. It seems so watery and some how bitter.. And I LOVE the plain yogurt here. I think sometimes when you are used to something one way, a change (even for the better) is intolerable. For example, I hate all ketchup except Heinz... from the US. And cream cheese from any other brand than Philadelphia. There is just something fundamentally wrong about other brands for me. And there is no way you could ever get me to change my mind. So although I understand where you are coming from, I don't think you really need to worry about your health when drinking milk in Argentina. (although eating Danica ketchup will likely kill you ; )

I find Finlandia and other similar cream cheeses are great for filling those cracks in the wall - their putty like texture is perfectly suited for the task at hand. Long love Philadephia - I will wrestle you for it Sr Mreno if you dare try to limit its import.

Funny you mention Finlandia... I would never eat Finlandia straight but I am trying to find a cheaper alternative for baking. I just made 2 batches of frosting... one with Finlandia the other with Philadelphia. We shall see how Finlandia stands up to a blind taste test... I don't have much hope... it has much more liquid so I had to add huge amounts of powdered sugar. And I think we will have to block 9 de Julio if they dare try to block the importation of Philadelphia.

frosting with icing sugar and a few drops of vailla essence works pretty good for me...so Finlandia has its purposes as you say. Let`s call of the manifestaciòn for now....if the pickles are banend though I´m out there with my capucha and stick!

Back