Mixing Teenagers from Different Countries?

ElQueso

Registered
As many may have seen in my various posts before, I have a 16 year-old sister-in-law that lives with my wife and I and goes to school here.

She's extremely bright, highly imaginative, and is an all-around nice person.

She is immersed in Argentine culture, which is a good thing to an extent (no matter what I may write about it at times). Particularly given where she's come from - two room school with dirt floors, "grammar" school in one room, the older kids in another, many kids going to school barefoot with ragged clothes. Teachers telling the kids mermaids are real and Mars has an atmosphere with flora and fauna (yeah, really!).

She's learned a lot about life and the outside word in her last three years here.

I'd like her to get more experience of other cultures as well. She'll almost certainly be going to college here in Buenos Aires when she graduates collegio in two years, but I want to encourage her to be able to study abroad at some point as well.

Before she gets to that point, I'd like her to have more knowledge about people from other cultures. Unfortunately, none of my expat friends have any kids.

I'm looking for something that goes on among expats that mixes kids of her relative age.

She never had an English class in her life until she came here, but after three years of school here, she and I can carry on simple conversations in English. My first idea was a get-together where people practice speaking other languages. I've seen a post about something like that somewhere before, but couldn't find it again; however, I seem to recall that it was targeted more toward adults anyway.

I don't know how many expats here have kids her age, how many of those kids speak some Spanish as well to help out. In fact, I just don't know enough about any of that to know if there's even a possibility of her mixing with an expat group of teenagers here.

Any one have any ideas or suggestions?

There is a website, collegeconfidential.com, where teens from all over the world discuss high school issues and applying to college,. It's an extremely active booard with tens of thousands of hits per day and a great place to practice English and to see what teens in the US, Europe and Asia (mostly) are doing and thinking.

Why not encourage her to apply for scholarships to study in the States or Europe? I know a couple of Argentines who did that and they seem to be some of the best culturally rounded people I've met down here

PhilipDT said:
Why not encourage her to apply for scholarships to study in the States or Europe? I know a couple of Argentines who did that and they seem to be some of the best culturally rounded people I've met down here

I agree with PhilipDT. I manage a reasonable number of young professionals here and have done so in two other countries. Those that have studied abroad, even if only for a semester, generally outperform their peers in the workplace and have a positive cultural outlook on life.

Guys, I appreciate the suggestions, and particularly the scholarship suggestions to study outside of the country I will eventually use.

The UWC suggestion looks interesting - I want to look further into that as a possibility for her future. I'm not sure how many foreigners actually attend those schools here in Argentina, but the fact that they offer an international diploma is very nice and could cut her time down that she would have to spend at a university here before she would be able to go to a university abroad. I also notice that they have "short courses" which may be very interesting int he short term.

However, what I am looking for right now are foreigners her age in Buenos Aires with whom she can mix and get to know while she's in her last two years in "high school."

Send her to one of the intentional school. Lincoln is a place to start.

There are the Spanglish language exchanges...which I think are directed more towards adults in their 20s/30s. I haven't heard about anything like this for younger people but it sounds like a great idea...

Hi! just to clarify about UWC -- there are 10 schools throughout the world, each with students from many different countries. there's not one in argentina. mine was in new mexico, with 200 students from 80 different countries (where I met my first argentine!). it's a two year program, for the last two years of high school. just an interesting option to you and anyone else who knows someone who might be interested.

Now that I think of it, I have not really read any posts about teenage expats in the city. There are a lot of people who seem to come with younger kids, but none (or not many) come with teenagers. I have seen the occasional post where someone is thinking about it, but then they are no longer active on the forum shortly after that.

I would suggest contacting Lincoln Academy in La Lucila and seeing if they have any programs that she might be able to take part in. Or possibly even consider enrolling her there. I know that they accept Argentine students as well as foreign ones.

Back