Moneygram transfer

Usually use with Brubank and pesos are credited within 2 hours. This last time decided to send to BBVA and it's now been 8 days, money is stuck "in tranisit", MG said they opened an investigation that would take as much as 2 months (thou I suspect it would be much faster). Also opened a case with BBVA. Transfer cannot be canceled while the investigation is in process as money has been send thou not credited by BBVA. Obviously my US debit card has been charged already.

Anyone had to go thru a similar situation?

Usually use with Brubank and pesos are credited within 2 hours. This last time decided to send to BBVA and it's now been 8 days, money is stuck "in tranisit", MG said they opened an investigation that would take as much as 2 months (thou I suspect it would be much faster). Also opened a case with BBVA. Transfer cannot be canceled while the investigation is in process as money has been send thou not credited by BBVA. Obviously my US debit card has been charged already.

yes, you can read mine one page before,
they opened case for me too, and after 3 days of opening the case, the transaction was cancelled and money refund was initiated (they said its going to take 3-10 days to get the money back),

I have now initiated another transaction, lets hope this one works with 30 minutes, and I dont have to wait 10 days just to get refunded.

I can confirm the new transaction succeeded in 40 minutes, to the same santander bank account, they must have had some kind of glitch in the system, as long as I get refunded my other transaction, everything is ok

just got canceled.

I did my first MG x-fer (pickup from an agent) yesterday and all was easy peasy except for the fact that the day before the agent (Megatone) didn't have sufficient funds an hour before closing, but I have a question about x-fers to bank accounts (where it shows a better exchange rate).

I want to x-fer to my brother-in-law's Santander Rio account, but he's telling me he wants cash instead because he would have to go to the bank to get something he called a 'special permission' to receive a x-fer from a foreigner, the bank will charge him for accepting these x-fers, and he'll wind up losing money.

After recently reading through this entire thread I don't recall anyone mentioning anything like that so I'm wondering if there's any merit to what he's saying or if he's just being his usual fastidious self - he can be very particular when it comes to how things are done. I don't want him to lose money on a x-fer, but obviously I'd prefer getting the better x-fer rate as well as the ease and convenience of making what would be a monthly x-fer directly into his account.

I might do a small test x-fer to another relative's Santander account, but I was curious if anyone here had an opinion or experience.

He would need "special permission" if it was a bank to bank international wire transfer.

Moneygram isn't doing an international wire transfer, it's something else....

I'm sure the small test will allay his fears.

He would need "special permission" if it was a bank to bank international wire transfer.

Moneygram isn't doing an international wire transfer, it's something else....

I'm sure the small test will allay his fears.
You are assuming that wherever this ''lands'' at the bank, the person involved will be up-to-speed, knowledgeable, and give a damn ......highly unlikely

Two of my MG transfers was cancelled almost immediately but I sent it to me (vs my hubs) to the exact same BBVA bank account, during the day and it went through. We have different CUILs per BBVA so that maybe it. Weird. I will try a small one to him again today,

I am trying to pay my daughter's school fees to the school bank account (Banco Galicia) which I've done every month for the past 7 months through moneygram and I am getting a "transaction failed" "we've encountered an error invalid transaction. Please try again" message every day for the past week. I just tried sending money to my bank account and it worked. Anyone experience this ever? Any advice?

Last edited:
I tried searching for this topic but could not find it. Does anyone know, if I am sending money to my mother's caretaker in BA, does she or will she eventually have to pay taxes on the money she receives from me? I have used Western Union in the past but since I cannot find any working promo codes I have switched to MoneyGram. Thank you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Expat Life 16
Artur Expat Life 0
A Expat Life 0
P Expat Life 4
Y Expat Life 14
Back