Montserrat - good place to stay?

glitziy world of Palermo, what in the hell are you talking about?
Nancy

Palermo is Buenos Aires largest Barrio divided into many sections most who are working and middle class. To call it glitzy is an insult to most of its original inhabitants who have lived here for many generations. I suggest that you walk down Julian Alvarez, Araoz, Nicaragua, Malabia, Uriate and Thames and you will see a traditional barrio with some new restaurants and new buildings. The only sections that can be considered wealthy are Palermo Chico and some parts of Palermo Nuevo.

pericles said:
Palermo is Buenos Aires largest Barrio divided into many sections most who are working and middle class. To call it glitzy is an insult to most of its original inhabitants who have lived here for many generations. I suggest that you walk down Julian Alvarez, Araoz, Nicaragua, Malabia, Uriate and Thames and you will see a traditional barrio with some new restaurants and new buildings. The only sections that can be considered wealthy are Palermo Chico and some parts of Palermo Nuevo.

Can you tell me how to find the various secions of Palermo? Does anyone have a map? Where is Palermo Chico, Nuevo?
Thanks.

Here a general description, Mini. Palermo Chico is essentially the area where a bunch of embassies (and ambassadors' residences) are clumped together; it is on the river side of Libertador, with Plaza Rep de Chile on the south and Av. Jeronimo S. delineating the north, not quite reaching the train tracks at the Saldias station. Palermo Nuevo (which is where I live) is essentially between Libertador, Sarmiento, Santa Fe, and Bullrich. Palermo Hollywood is a section of Palermo Viejo, basically between S. Ortiz, Cordoba, the train tracks along Juan Justo, running into regular Palermo when heading toward Santa Fe. I walk these areas frequently, and this is how I delineate them when walking around. A map might be more detailed and accurate.

igor said:
Besides Plaza Mayor with several good restaurants (one is shown on the very first picture above), I am afraid there is nothing remarkable about the area

There are a couple of options for good eats, but not the same spread you'd find elsewhere. If you do stay there, try the Centro Vasco Frances is on Moreno, a couple of blocks away, it is delicious, especially if you like paella, cazuela de mariscos, or black rice (rice with squid ink). You're also nearby to Nikkai (the Japanese Associacion's restaurant). Rey Castro is also fun, Museo (or Museum) the club is near there (I have no idea how old you are, so don't know if that interests), and there's a string of hotels along 9 de Julio. If you want more life or more restaurants I'd try closer to the tourist area of San Telmo or towards Plaza San Martin.

Villa Crespo or Almagro might be more appealing, and there is easy access to the centre via the subte, as well as to Palermo via bus or walking. Almagro it depends on the area, I lived there for a year and was on way too busy a street.

What a great map! I had no idea Palermo was divided into a dozen parts. At least I was right that we do indeed live in Palermo Nuevo, but it's a good deal smaller than I thought it was.

Hi Stick

Have sent you a pm about street art. I have some friends working on a project covering street art and artists in buenos aires, and they would love to get in contact with you.

Cheers

j

HDM said:
What a great map! I had no idea Palermo was divided into a dozen parts. . . .
Those are informal divisions, HDM, much as the conflation of "Barrio Norte" is unofficial, though common enough in everyday speech (at least, among foreigners!). And, as the boundaries of barrio norte, the limites of these Palerman neighborhoods move with the whim and desires of the speaker.

Great map, I was unaware the process of Balkanisation had reached such levels in Palermo.

Back