Montserrat - good place to stay?

There was a great cartoon once about the Palermoisation of Buenos Aires . I have not seen it for a while but basically it was a parody of real estate talk of the Palermo trade mark.

I myself only divide Palermo into 4 sections, Palermo Viejo, Palermo Nuevo, Palermo Chico and Palermo Hollywood. Of course there are many others like Palermo Soho, Palermo Sensible, Palermo Queens, Palermo Bronx, and many many others,

I seriously considered relocating from Recoleta to Monserrat, but I have decided against it. I love the architecture there and could have a bigger apartment at a lower cost, but, as others have posted, it isn't as safe (or desirable) as the Barrios to the North.

If you are only here for a visit I would advise against it, too.

To discount all of Monserrat because some parts are Dangerous is also not a wise choice. There are some very safe streets in Monserrat and of course the cities best architeture.

These are the better streets Avenida Rivadavia, Avenida Belgrano, Sarandi , Ayacucho, Junin and Riobamba close to Rivadavia are all atractive safe neighbourhoods.

Pericles is right. It all depends on how long you are planning to stay and if you can really find a good location if you are shopping or a temporary rental on the internet.

I'm sure Pericles will steer you in the right direction if you ask about a specific address.

syngirl said:
There are a couple of options for good eats, but not the same spread you'd find elsewhere. If you do stay there, try the Centro Vasco Frances is on Moreno, a couple of blocks away, it is delicious, especially if you like paella, cazuela de mariscos, or black rice (rice with squid ink). You're also nearby to Nikkai (the Japanese Associacion's restaurant). Rey Castro is also fun, Museo (or Museum) the club is near there (I have no idea how old you are, so don't know if that interests), and there's a string of hotels along 9 de Julio. If you want more life or more restaurants I'd try closer to the tourist area of San Telmo or towards Plaza San Martin.

Villa Crespo or Almagro might be more appealing, and there is easy access to the centre via the subte, as well as to Palermo via bus or walking. Almagro it depends on the area, I lived there for a year and was on way too busy a street.

Almagro, it is true tends to be busy and noisy, but as my alta ego lives in Wales where it is very quiet the change suits me. If you are planning to live here, then the choice of shops is huge. The prices are also a lot lower than Palermo or Recoletta. OK if you want quality you do have to search a little more, but the quest is half the fun.
I can buy a lunch for two for about $15AR and sit in Plaza Almagro with the pigeons watching the children play. I have never come across the attitude, seen in tourist areas, that we can charge stupid extranjeros double, and everyone wants to help.
So some nights I need ear plugs, I can live with that.

RWS said:
Those are informal divisions, HDM, much as the conflation of "Barrio Norte" is unofficial, though common enough in everyday speech (at least, among foreigners!). And, as the boundaries of barrio norte, the limites of these Palerman neighborhoods move with the whim and desires of the speaker.

.... or real estate agent.

I think these four quotes are best read together.

stickattack said:
Hola todos...

I'm coming to bsas in May and am looking at a place to stay in Montserrat - Mexico and Pres Luis Saenz Pena.

I was in bsas a few years ago, in San Telmo and a bit in Palermo. I liked them both but have found a cheap place in Montserrat.

Can anyone tell me what this area is like? I'm going to be writing an article/book on street art.

gracias in advance

jc

pericles said:
Monserrat is a beautiful neighbourhood with some of the best architecture of Buenos Aires but this also comes with a warning sign . Crime is on the rise there and is drug use creating unsavoury situations for locals and expats alike.

For safety the best neighbourhoods are Colegiales, Belgrano, Barrio Norte, Recoleta and Puerto Madero. I would also recommend Caballito and some parts of Palermo especially Palermo Nuevo and Alto Palermo.

steveinbsas said:
I seriously considered relocating from Recoleta to Monserrat, but I have decided against it. I love the architecture there and could have a bigger apartment at a lower cost, but, as others have posted, it isn't as safe (or desirable) as the Barrios to the North.

If you are only here for a visit I would advise against it, too.

pericles said:
To discount all of Monserrat because some parts are Dangerous is also not a wise choice. There are some very safe streets in Monserrat and of course the cities best architeture.

These are the better streets Avenida Rivadavia, Avenida Belgrano, Sarandi , Ayacucho, Junin and Riobamba close to Rivadavia are all atractive safe neighbourhoods.

Pericles knows Monserrat very well. Perhaps he can provide information about the specific area in question.

RWS said:
Those are informal divisions, HDM, much as the conflation of "Barrio Norte" is unofficial, though common enough in everyday speech (at least, among foreigners!). And, as the boundaries of barrio norte, the limites of these Palerman neighborhoods move with the whim and desires of the speaker.

Clarín published an interesting article about names of neighbourhoods that only exist in the imagination of the people, check it: http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/10/23/laciudad/h-06015.htm

Barrio Norte as a reference to the neighbourhoods of Palermo, Recoleta and Retiro is very commonly used by porteños. It's not an expat-thing.

ReemsterCARP said:
. . . . Barrio Norte as a reference to the neighbourhoods of Palermo, Recoleta and Retiro is very commonly used by porteños. It's not an expat-thing.
You may be correct. I myself read it frequently here, hear it occasionally from porteños, and never, I think, have heard the expression from my Argentine cousins.

Back