More Border Controls?

Whenever policy is announced through the press there is ALWAYS alterior motives... Laws like these are not usually designed to enforce their stated purpose but are almost always used in other (creative) ways... (in this Argentina is not unique) If you take this announcement and the latest ruling on deporting tourists for crimes without trial you can see that the OVERLAP in each case is that the 'offenders' do not have their papers in order. So most likely this has NOTHING to do with stemming the ebb and flow on the border but far more to do with a desperate Government attempting to get people registered for tax purposes. They want you to become legit so they can get into your 'business'... so they hope to scare the people living there 'undeclared' into appearing in the system. You should know that citizenship/residency have MAJOR tax implications in your home country as well as your 'adopted' one. This govt is painfully short on reserves, have a skyrocketing inflation rate and a runaway peso... They want your dollars.

I think you're over emphasising the importance and availabiliyt of expat dollars. This govt cares very little for a young person from Canada or the USA with little local earnings made via teaching English, they realise that offshore pensions are not accessible and do not represent an income stream for them.

Permatourists need to be aware that they represent a very small blip on the radar for potential income here. You don't move the dial.

I believe that I can...and I'll bet I am far from being the only one.

Before I applied for residency I got a prorroga de permanencia from migraciones (with three days to go on the 90 day tourist visa), even though the lawyer my Argentine girlfriend insisted I use said it wasn't necessary. My first and only tourist visa expired in early August and I knew that I wasn't going to go to migraciones until later in the month (at the earliest). The lawyer was probably correct, but I wasn't familiar enough with "the system" to take his work for it as he had no prior experience helping a foreigner apply for residency.

PS: At the time I was a member of the 40-60 crowd and I have no regrets.
emo32.gif

I mean we are all guilty of something. If it is not immigration, we forgot to declare everything through customs, accidentally lost a dollar only find it replaced by 12 pesos, neglected to report all foreign assets/income, or some other law we break out of ignorance. I try to do my best but I don't look at those breaking more rules than me as slackers or bad.

I think you're over emphasising the importance and availabiliyt of expat dollars. This govt cares very little for a young person from Canada or the USA with little local earnings made via teaching English, they realise that offshore pensions are not accessible and do not represent an income stream for them.

"This govt" may not care much about a young person from Canada or the USA with "little local income" that would flow into the govt coffers, but it may have a "greater" concern for the the "nation's" resources that could be necessary to "support" them with public services (including "free" medical care at public hospitals).

Permatourists need to be aware that they represent a very small blip on the radar for potential income here. You don't move the dial.

If you look at the recent experience of the few "pseudo-tourists" who have been denied reentry, it's impossible to say that the meter has not been recalibrated. It's clear that "this govt" has simply grown tired of having it's immigration laws ignored or circumvented by foreigners who commit crimes in Argentina. Perma-tourists from canada and the USA certainly aren't criminals compared to a motochorro from a nearby country, but they aren't "playing by the rules" either.

These controls are not directed at permatourists directly, more people who are coming to Argentina with bad intentions to commit crimes. Time will tell.

You mean crimes like exchanging usd on the black market? I don't know if you read the local news but to control the black usd market is apriority for this administration.
Please, don't be naive, once the rule is there, it can be used in any way.

You mean crimes like exchanging usd on the black market? I do'nt know if you read the local news but to control the black usd market is apriority for this administration.

Of course it's a priority. It's a market that they themselves created.

Landed yesterday @ EZE. Entered using European (non-EU) passport, as in the past 12 months, as no visa for ARG required for 90 days. I fly out every 90 days and have never overstayed the 90-day allowance. I was only asked on which flight am I arriving and if I have family in Argentina. No new form to fill out, no new questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Let's see how it evolves. I'll be in and out in Feb 2015.

In my state, I was able to call ahead to order my birth and marriage cert. We had to pay via check (credit/debit card) was not an option...arranged family to send payment.This included getting the apostilles...so it was all ready for us to pick up. (But it was only about 4-7 day turn around anyway). The FBI,we mailed in our final days so we weren't in the country when it was processed and had it sent down to us.

Thanks for this. I already called City hall, they said I can get the certified birth cert. same day and send it off to Sec. of State for the apostille; if I had had it sent remotely, I think I would have needed a notarized letter, which would have required an appointment at the embassy here (+$50USD charge) since it wouldn't have been in person and I'm already going in a few weeks now anyway. Unfortunately I don't have helpful family so can't call on anyone to arrange but the day after I arrive, I'm checking my storage (to see if I have the apostilled birth cert. from when I got my EU passport a few years back) and if not am going to the county office for the certified birth cert and sending it right away. They said that sometimes sec. of state gets backed up over the holidays but if not, 2-3 weeks should be a fine window.

Any tips on getting the FBI report? The lawyer said to order it while i'm over there but I read that it gets invalidated if you go to the states again from Arg so I was confused about ordering it while I was there...

Thanks for this. I already called City hall, they said I can get the certified birth cert. same day and send it off to Sec. of State for the apostille; if I had had it sent remotely, I think I would have needed a notarized letter, which would have required an appointment at the embassy here (+$50USD charge) since it wouldn't have been in person and I'm already going in a few weeks now anyway. Unfortunately I don't have helpful family so can't call on anyone to arrange but the day after I arrive, I'm checking my storage (to see if I have the apostilled birth cert. from when I got my EU passport a few years back) and if not am going to the county office for the certified birth cert and sending it right away. They said that sometimes sec. of state gets backed up over the holidays but if not, 2-3 weeks should be a fine window.

Any tips on getting the FBI report? The lawyer said to order it while i'm over there but I read that it gets invalidated if you go to the states again from Arg so I was confused about ordering it while I was there...
You can get the FBI cards from the US Embassy (get a couple of them). Go to your local poice station to have the prints done (free). Go to the FBI site (www.fbi.gov) and have them mailed to you. Takes about 7 or 8 weeks at a cost of about $18

You can get the FBI cards from the US Embassy (get a couple of them). Go to your local poice station to have the prints done (free). Go to the FBI site (www.fbi.gov) and have them mailed to you. Takes about 7 or 8 weeks at a cost of about $18

FBI cards? I was talking about the clearance report... same thing? OK so I go to the US embassy here with an appointment or no? And then I have to get prints done here and sent them to the FBI? Or just order it online from FBI website? Sorry, I'm confused. I know it's been discussed already ad nauseum. *sigh*

FBI cards? I was talking about the clearance report... same thing? OK so I go to the US embassy here with an appointment or no? And then I have to get prints done here and sent them to the FBI? Or just order it online from FBI website? Sorry, I'm confused. I know it's been discussed already ad nauseum. *sigh*
You have to get the actual fingerprints (ink UGH) and then send them for the clearance report. You can print the form online but it has to be transferred to standard white card stock so it would probably be easier to go to the consulate and pick them up. Did it a few months ago. The police took clear prints so the FBI accepted them without a problem.

Back