More robberies in Argentina than anywhere else in the Americas

Does it offend me? Personally? No. Nor do I have an agenda. As I said, I just find it..puzzling.

Every time we have this discussion, inevitably people chime in and say something to the effect of BA isn't dangerous, it's all in your head, it's much worse in... insert city here - Chicago, Detroit, Orlando, whatever.

This report came out in the paper and I thought it was in fact quite relevant to the crime discussion. Esp given the fact that since 2000 until now, Argentina has consistently been #1 or #2 in robberies. Hence my posting it.

I'm not trying to "convince" anyone. I do hope people take precautions and don't behave foolishly. Beyond that, there isn't much that can be done anyway.

Johnny said:
I'm often confused as to what this discussion/debate/argument is trying to accomplish. Given that pretty much everyone acknowledges that crime is an issue in BsAs, as it is in most heavily populated cities throughout the Americas, what's the rationale for the "popularity" of the debate. It seems everyone that gets involved has some sort of agenda. How important is it to "prove" that Buenos Aires is more "dangerous", or less so, than other cities, when it is clear that so many of the cities in question have significant levels of crime ?

I get the impression that some posters who live in Buenos Aires don't feel that they are being taken seriously when they complain about crime here. That offends them, and then we have this inane spiral of competing studies, statistics, anecdotes ad nauseum. All of which will end up proving nothing and convincing no one.

It is theater. There are no auditions.

FYI: the crime rate outside of Buenos Aires is also out of control. I know most expats, and the vast majority of the active members of this board, live in or very near Buenos Aires, however up here in the north robbaries and other violent crimes have skyrocketed over the last few years. I have so many stories, more than I can even remember, involving my immediate family, my in-laws, and our friends... Three years ago my wife's 15 year old nephew was misidentified by municipal policy in La Leonesa, Chaco. They beat him nearly to death, he was hospitalized for a few weeks. The cops involved were arrested, fired, not sure what happened at trial. My friend Enrique had his cellphone stolen off his belt 2 years ago. Enrique was robbed at gunpoint a few weeks ago, they cut the windshield out of his car using a boxcutter, ripped out his stereo, and took his cash. Wife's purse was stolen while she was stuck in traffic in a taxi last year. Our 5500 watt backup generator was stolen from our locked garage in January. There've been several bank robberies up here over the past year. A few home invasions. Carjackings. Many more stories from Chaco and Corrientes.

It sounds a lot safer where Steve lives, and I'm sure there are other areas safer than Chaco and Corrientes, but you'd be foolish if you assumed that the high crime rate is unique to our national capital.

citygirl said:
Sigh.. did you notice the "Y vos" and ;) after I wrote the first comment? Or my comment afterwards pointing out that I don't particularly care about the murder rate in the US and the only reason I mentioned it was people always bring up the US?

Defensive? Not really. Baffled by people's immediate deflection when discussing crime here.

These deflection techniques when discussing crime here are "xxxxxx" inspired. (fill in the blanks) it operates as follows in most local Forae.:rolleyes:

• Disqualify the Institutions producing the data as part of the Imperio
  • Disqualify the person heading the Institution, as a collaborator
  • Question the statistic criteria, or validity of the data
  • Finally Introduce the "Y Vos" smoke curtain:D

Johnny said:
I'm often confused as to what this discussion/debate/argument is trying to accomplish. Given that pretty much everyone acknowledges that crime is an issue in BsAs, as it is in most heavily populated cities throughout the Americas, what's the rationale for the "popularity" of the debate. It seems everyone that gets involved has some sort of agenda. How important is it to "prove" that Buenos Aires is more "dangerous", or less so, than other cities, when it is clear that so many of the cities in question have significant levels of crime ?

I get the impression that some posters who live in Buenos Aires don't feel that they are being taken seriously when they complain about crime here. That offends them, and then we have this inane spiral of competing studies, statistics, anecdotes ad nauseum. All of which will end up proving nothing and convincing no one.

I think, conversely, a lot of the posters who claim that Buenos Aires is virtually crime free feel offended when presented with facts or anecdotes that don't conform to their worldview on Buenos Aires.

This one swings both ways. And both extremes are idiotic.

nicoenarg said:
I think, conversely, a lot of the posters who claim that Buenos Aires is virtually crime free feel offended when presented with facts or anecdotes that don't conform to their worldview on Buenos Aires.

This one swings both ways. And both extremes are idiotic.

I agree. And never the twain shall meet.

I tell you what, this forum's thoughts and energy has shifted drastically within the past 2-3 years. You usually had AT LEAST one defender of the crime here being consistent with that of any other city. Now, there are none. Not one. Where did they all go??

I hear it's getting worse and worse down there, which makes me extremely fearful for my fiance, whom is still down there. Be safe down there guys...

I guess what is more worrisome is the feeling of indifference against robberies. This feeds organised crime. It is just a natural evolution that gangs will be replaced by more powerful gangs and if people cannot trust the government they will start trusting the gangs. This is what happened in Sicily, this is probably happening here. They only way to prevent it is to have the government act effectively and persistently against the robberies.

I told myself I wasn't going to join in this thread because I think everyone is sort of arguing from extremes whereas we all probably agree that crime exist in BsAs, it is better, equal to, or worse than other places in the world, and it may or may not be getting worse. I think we all agree that we don't trust statistics. Some of us don't trust perceptions either. Blah blah blah.

Anyway, I was waiting for the bus earlier this afternoon and a "patrullero" passed by and stopped at the light right in front of me. I looked in at the occupants and the PFA officer in the passenger seat was sound asleep. Literally, head cocked back, eyes rolled up, leaning against the passenger window. The window was up, but I am sure he was snoring. Buenos Aires' finest!

Oh, and now that Nico said it's ok to make comparisons in this thread ...... at least the PFA doesn't solicit "propinas" on the street like the Mexican (at least in Juarez) police.

:) <--- Note the smiley face.

Back