Morelli Stove?

Thanks for the further advice from everyone. Ries, your explanation of why its important to have a certified cocina is dead in - one of my sister-in-laws told me today that this just happened in her building - somebody called the gas company about an issue; they found out that the gas appliances weren't certified, and they have shut the gas to the building while they do inspections. I was going to risk it for the Morelli, but changed my mind - their are only 4 units in our building and I don't want to make enemies. The Franke's are nice - but we really only have space for a cocina, not the separate horno/anafe units. I went to the LuxorGas place at the Dot - nice cocinas, a bit expensive, and a month to deliver - but I think we will go with that unless anyone has another suggestion for a similar grade cocina?
I got my Luxorgas from todococinas, I think it was 1000 pesos more expensive, but they delivered the same day! Very good service and a few months ago they had Todo Pago 12 payments no interest.

Great, thanks again Nikad!! I'll call Todococinas tomorrow and see if they have it in stock and can deliver. When they delivered it, did they give you a reasonable delivery window - like a few hours? Or was it "sometime the day of"? Our apartment is unoccupied, so I really don't want to be hanging out all day.

It is nearly impossible to find parts when they break, and they use a LOT of energy. Apparently they are not very efficient. I was going to try going electric, but after some research I decided it was not a good idea here.

According to my gas bill, 1m3 of natural gas here produces 9200 kcal when burned and costs ~2.1 pesos. An oven burner uses about 4000kcal/hr so it costs aprox $.91 per hour. 4000kcal/hr is equivalent to 4.65 kw. According to my latest bill from Edenor 1 kWh costs $.58 so 4.65kw would be $2.69 per hour.

Which, if my calculations are correct, means an electric oven would cost almost 3x more to run than a gas oven.

Great, thanks again Nikad!! I'll call Todococinas tomorrow and see if they have it in stock and can deliver. When they delivered it, did they give you a reasonable delivery window - like a few hours? Or was it "sometime the day of"? Our apartment is unoccupied, so I really don't want to be hanging out all day.
If i remember correctly, they gave me a 3 hour window or so ( I was also waiting for the stove in an empty apartment ! ). They are very communicative, email them with any questions, etc. Hope it works for you! I love my Luxorgas baby ( being a foodie myself I really wanted a solid stove )

According to my gas bill, 1m3 of natural gas here produces 9200 kcal when burned and costs ~2.1 pesos. An oven burner uses about 4000kcal/hr so it costs aprox $.91 per hour. 4000kcal/hr is equivalent to 4.65 kw. According to my latest bill from Edenor 1 kWh costs $.58 so 4.65kw would be $2.69 per hour.

Which, if my calculations are correct, means an electric oven would cost almost 3x more to run than a gas oven.

But the results are quite different, especially with pastries and cakes. If you have to roast potatoes or bake bread, I agree that gas is better.

How about Electrolux? Anyone had any experience with these stoves?
They now have a double oven stove. Saw it a couple of days ago in a client's home.

http://www.electrolux.com.ar/Products/Cocina/Cocinas/

I think the issue with most of the gas ovens I have seen in BA is thermostat control - most don't seem to have this. Even with some of the more expensive brands, its hit or miss on whether they offer the feature. My sister in law has a nice, industrial grade gas cocina and it doesn't have thermostat control. You can essentially adjust the heat output of the gas burners in the oven using the knob, but the oven won't adjust the flames to maintain a constant temperature level in the oven - a huge flaw if you want to bake; not such a big deal if you are only trying to roast a chicken, or potatoes, etc.

It's such a good thing you're here Nikad, I never would have thought an important appliance shop could sell an uncertified oven! It wouldn't even have entered my head to check certification, because why would they sell something that isn't fit for the purpose they're selling it for?!? I am also about to start the hunt for a new gas oven so your post has been incredibly helpful! Thank you.

Back