Most liveable barrios in BA not named Recoleta or Palermo?

starlucia said:
I really like Belgrano; it reminds me a little bit of Philadelphia. On warm nights, we occasionally like to have dinner in Chinatown and then walk through Belgrano, checking out all of the embassies and old mansions.

And Barracas is kind of cool. I wouldn't want to live there (unless I had kids and wanted them to have some space and greenery), but it's a nice change of pace and has some decent neighborhood restaurants.

And Belgrano is home to River.....
a deifinate plus.

San Cristobal isn't too bad for singles. Centrally located, less expensive, lots of bars and boliches, dominican food. I drank beer in a barber shop there once which was refreshing. Don't wander too close to Constitution though.

Almagro will be my first choice when I return to BA. I won't say why because there is already a thread about the barrio. Belgrano is great but it needs better subway access and more bars.

bsas said:
I second Caballito. Barracas is a good choice also, but quite far from the usual night spots in Palermo. If that's your thing, you'd need a car or plenty of cash for cabs. The area around Montes de Oca and Martin Garcia is the safest.

sorry, but Barracas is nowhere CLOSE to being a good choice. There are def worse neighborhoods, but it's not a good place for foreigners, in my humble opinion.

to each their own though, I just value my life.

consituticion isnt THAT bad...you wouldnt wanna live there for life but ive had to spend a few days / nights there on my way to places and im still alive

I second the "Belgrano" motion. Belgrano and Palermo are def the most liveable places to live here, whether you are an expat or a local.

dr__dawggy said:
Any thoughts about Congresso? Love the architecture in the area but I have been leery re: safety.

I live in Congreso, and wouldn't recommend it. The main advantage is its location -- a zillion colectivos stop right outside my door, and when the weather's nice, I can walk anywhere: Recoleta, Centro, Puerto Madero, San Telmo. I like the many movie and music shops and used bookstores that line Corrientes, and I'm a few blocks away from decent food shopping: La Esquina de las Flores, New Garden Villares, good verdulerias, and a cute little olive/cheese/wine shop. The only English I ever hear is from a random tourist or two staying at a nearby hostel. Overall, though, the area is just too sketchy for words. Lots of homeless and/or strung-out types hanging out at night -- more than once, I've exited on a weekend morning to find some kid passed out cold on the front step. On weekends, the streets are packed with B&T types, and I'm often woken at 6am by a couple of leftover drunk morons shouting/screaming/fighting/what-have-you. Dining options are very limited, unless you like overpriced, Theater District fare.

Caballito neighborhood is becoming a spot for for some foreigners now. There are two new Centers for Spanish as a second language, one is the CUI (Centro Universitario De Idiomas) close to Acoyte y Rivadavia at the Colegio Santa Rosa on Rosario Street. There are a few Old Bilingual High Schools such as Ciaran's School (Colegio San Cirano) There is plenty of shopping at AvAcoyte y Rivadavia and Av. Jose Maria Moreno and Av. Rivadavia with a zillion "colectivos" that go everywhere and the subway A Station. Also, the area of Av. Pedro Goyena is really nice. This area is by far much nicer than the Caballito area on the Parque Centenario side.
I was born at the Barrio Ingles but unfortunately there are way too many apartment rises being built in the neighborhood.

polostar88 said:
Almagro.

(filler...)

I second that, Great transport (B subte right to the middle).

Bargain prices on the property.

Close enough to town, you can walk to Palermo and Cabllito even Villa Crespo.

Lots of artisanal furniture makers, Wood yards, ferreterias, Pastelerias, supermarkets (Jumbo, Disco, Coto all walkable).

And finally, if you can stand the noise,every Collectivo seems to run through the middle.

The most liveable barrios are in Order Barrio Norte, Palermo Nuevo and Palermo Soho, Belgrano, and Almagro.

Remember that in all these neighbourhoods there are pockets that are recommendable . Barrio Norte has some incredible sections and others that are dowdy . I love the part of Barrio Norte from Laprida to Las Heras . French to Puerrydon, Salguero from Las Heras to Cervino.

In Palermo Soho I like the most Armenia from Santa Fe to Cabrera, Malabia from Santa fe to Cabrera, Honduras from Borges to Scalabrini Ortiz, Nicaragua from Malabia to Borges .

Almagro can be downright funky around Rivadavia and Medrano and the laneways of Lezica and Angel Pelufo. Also the streets of Tres Orientales and Gascon between Rivadavia and Diaz Velez are attractive and close to all services.

I love, love, love where I live - right on the border of Canitas and Belgrano. I have access to a huge number of bus lines to get me everywhere within 2 minute walk (on LM Campos), the subway is only about 10 minutes away, it's very much a neighborhood and it's not overrun with tourists (not that I'm against tourists of any nationality but it's nice not to be overwhelmed with people). Super easy to get out of the city and yet really easy to get into the heart of the city (you can walk to Canitas and Palermo All is a 10 min cab or bus ride away) if you want that. Lots of good restaurants around, Solar is a few blocks away if I need shopping, there's 4 or 5 supermarkets within 3 blocks of me, two Starbucks ;) within 5 minutes, 2 gyms within 2 blocks - what's not to love?

It's also quiet which is key for me.

I don't think I'll ever leave this neighborhood as long as I'm living in Cap Fed.

Back