Most liveable barrios in BA not named Recoleta or Palermo?

perry said:
The most liveable barrios are in Order Barrio Norte, Palermo Nuevo and Palermo Soho, Belgrano, and Almagro.

Remember that in all these neighbourhoods there are pockets that are recommendable . Barrio Norte has some incredible sections and others that are dowdy . I love the part of Barrio Norte from Laprida to Las Heras . French to Puerrydon, Salguero from Las Heras to Cervino.

In Palermo Soho I like the most Armenia from Santa Fe to Cabrera, Malabia from Santa fe to Cabrera, Honduras from Borges to Scalabrini Ortiz, Nicaragua from Malabia to Borges .

Almagro can be downright funky around Rivadavia and Medrano and the laneways of Lezica and Angel Pelufo. Also the streets of Tres Orientales and Gascon between Rivadavia and Diaz Velez are attractive and close to all services.

I agree with your point that there are more desirable pockets within neighborhoods. I spend part of the year in Buenos Aires and part of the year in the United States. I have leased apartments on Libertad and Posadas and more recently Salguero y Cervino. I have enjoyed both locations, Salguero more than Libertad, but there are sections of both neighborhoods that are far less appealing.

I need to decide soon whether to stay in the same area or lease/buy in another neighborhood. I started this thread to gather ideas about livable options outside of areas where I have lived myself or where I have spent a lot of time. The comments have been very helpful although your post and most others seem to favor the areas I already know instead of helping me uncover "hidden gems." But I needed a realistic perspective from those of you who live in BA full time....

There are other livable neighborhoods that yet are not money making for businesses and yet very nice. Palermo Soho has become a foreign trap with rates that are not justified other than for realtors and with more petty crime than other places if we check stats. Then again, if someone will miss "home" and is in need of others foreigners and is not fluent in the language it might be totally justifiable. as I mentioned previously I tell my students to avoid Palermo Soho, but I am sure they go there to pArty. There is nothing at PS other than restUrants and shops, definitely not very cultural neither nice buildings. Two very nice good Argentine neighborhoods now are Puerto Madero and Palermo Chico one with greAt view and the other with some history at least. A lot of us have to do research and document places where our students live and thus the " opinion."

Postmodernchild said:
There are other livable neighborhoods that yet are not money making for businesses and yet very nice. Palermo Soho has become a foreign trap with rates that are not justified other than for realtors and with more petty crime than other places if we check stats. Then again, if someone will miss "home" and is in need of others foreigners and is not fluent in the language it might be totally justifiable. as I mentioned previously I tell my students to avoid Palermo Soho, but I am sure they go there to pArty. there is nothing there other than restUrants and shops, definitely not very cultural. Two very nice good Argentine neighborhoods now are Puerto Madero and Palermo Chico one with greAt view and the other with some history at least.

Palermo Soho is not called Gringolandia for nuthin. I have friends who have lived on Borges foreve (before it was called Borges)....I used to enjoy visiting them....now, not so much. El Preferido is still worth a visit though....like stepping back in time.

And an added bonus for Palermo Chico is the possibility of scoring autographs of the rich and famous. :)

I find Puerto Madero sterile. And expensive. Maybe it is just me.

Postmodernchild said:
Caballito neighborhood is becoming a spot for for some foreigners now. There are two new Centers for Spanish as a second language, one is the CUI (Centro Universitario De Idiomas) close to Acoyte y Rivadavia at the Colegio Santa Rosa on Rosario Street. There are a few Old Bilingual High Schools such as Ciaran's School (Colegio San Cirano) There is plenty of shopping at AvAcoyte y Rivadavia and Av. Jose Maria Moreno and Av. Rivadavia with a zillion "colectivos" that go everywhere and the subway A Station. Also, the area of Av. Pedro Goyena is really nice. This area is by far much nicer than the Caballito area on the Parque Centenario side.
I was born at the Barrio Ingles but unfortunately there are way too many apartment rises being built in the neighborhood.

Thank you for being so specific...

starlucia said:
I live in Congreso, and wouldn't recommend it. The main advantage is its location -- a zillion colectivos stop right outside my door, and when the weather's nice, I can walk anywhere: Recoleta, Centro, Puerto Madero, San Telmo. I like the many movie and music shops and used bookstores that line Corrientes, and I'm a few blocks away from decent food shopping: La Esquina de las Flores, New Garden Villares, good verdulerias, and a cute little olive/cheese/wine shop. The only English I ever hear is from a random tourist or two staying at a nearby hostel. Overall, though, the area is just too sketchy for words. Lots of homeless and/or strung-out types hanging out at night -- more than once, I've exited on a weekend morning to find some kid passed out cold on the front step. On weekends, the streets are packed with B&T types, and I'm often woken at 6am by a couple of leftover drunk morons shouting/screaming/fighting/what-have-you. Dining options are very limited, unless you like overpriced, Theater District fare.

I appreciate the feedback. Not what I wanted to hear...but exactly what I needed to hear.

dr__dawggy said:
....what are the most livable areas of BA apart from these usual expat haunts?

A matter of personal priorities of course.
I am currently renting a place in Palermo Hollywood. I really like the place I'm staying in. The neighborhood is full of restaurants, night clubs, cafes etc but they are of no use to me. I would much prefer the local businesses were artesanal shops, panaderias, granjas, etc. A few local chinos, but at least once a week I have to get on a colectivo to do my marketing.
I would prefer a 'regular' middle-class neighborhood, like Caballitos.

The more expensive the neighborhood, the more dog shit there is on the sidewalk.

I think Villa Devoto needs to be thrown in here, even though I know most expats will be pulling out their guia Ts to see where I'm talking about.

Devoto is really nice. It is centered on the huge plaza arenales which is 4 square blocks. Around the plaza are many nice restaurants to eat at, all of which tend to be more affordable than restaurants in Palermo, Recoleta or Belgrano.

Its a quiet but lively neighborhood. There are a lot of young families in the area and not to many tall buildings around. Safety is a non issue here. I've never even seen a shady person in Devoto.

The only drawback is the only real form of transport is to take long bus trips or a combination of buses to get to most places or use the train.

va2ba said:
I think Villa Devoto needs to be thrown in here, even though I know most expats will be pulling out their guia Ts to see where I'm talking about.

Devoto is really nice. It is centered on the huge plaza arenales which is 4 square blocks. Around the plaza are many nice restaurants to each at, all of which tend to be more affordable than restaurants in Palermo, Recoleta or Belgrano.

Its a quiet but lively neighborhood. There are a lot of young families in the area and not to many tall buildings around. Safety is a non issue here. I've never even seen a shady person in Devoto.

The only drawback is the only real form of transport is to take long bus trips or a combination of buses to get to most places or use the train.

It was my trip to Villa Devoto that first prompted me to wonder what I might be missing. I met a group of friends at one of the restaurants on the square. The whole experience was very pleasant and I kept thinking to myself...so there is life outside of Palermo....

Villa Crespo is pretty good, and is close to Palermo without being Palermo. Almagro is nice as well.

Back