Motochorro Caught In Recoleta ... Gets A Beating !!!

Violence is just never the answer. In the long run, violence does not solve your problems. It's distressing to get robbed, and the robber is a great coward, but if you use violence to confront the issue, things will never change, only escalate. Sometimes, acting on impulse is not the answer. I hate the Argentine justice system, and I won't justify any robber, but we do not want the Wild Wild West. A real sort of justice system would help thieves get out of the lifestyle or lock them away if they refuse to change. Too bad here in Argentina, things just go on as if nothing had happened at all.

Mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, if you're not ready to pay, then don't play. To be noted is the age of the victim too, and in some countries, bullies tend to not attack too weak people (not mentioning that breaking a bone at this age is not the same stuff as in your 20's). Beating was not that strong neither.

On another hand, it has always fascinated me what an "angry mob" (fascination, in a negative sense, for the kind of bestiality people can show when acting in groups, with frustration & violence in their minds) can do. This reveals the frustration & the violence of the Argentinian society. When I read reader's comments on LaNacion or Clarin, I often find them as sick as the violent info they are related to. Is it really a "Victory" of Justice, or rather a defeat?

On a side note, I'm damn sure that an efficient policy about security could buy years of worries against inflation. It's really not that difficult to improve Arg. security policy without new laws, etc. Funny the opposition didn't prove anything worthwile regarding security (elections in october, primaries in 3 months... lol).

It may or may not be a reflection of the frustration of the Argentinian people.
Its well documented that people acting as a group or mob will be more likely to act impulsively and more violently.

Come on, what if he'd ended up in a wheelchair? For petty theft. Why not just cut off his hand like the old days?

Either one of those options would mean one less thief terrorizing law abiding residents.

Yes for GS-dirtboy. Reading about hitting him in the spine with a hammer while others held him down seems to me over the line. That's the problem with crowds I think. Not all will have good sense. But I think a good beating is in order. But not with a hammer. (Just my opinion, maybe that's wrong, it certainly could dehabilitate a thief for LONG time, maybe forever). When my wallet was stolen on the subway I went to the police. They refused to report it as a theft but insisted that I "lost" it. i left the police not feeling very happy!

Since then I've had several attempts to get into my purse but so far they didn't succeed. I'm more alert now, watching my own stuff but watching around me as well in case I see someone with their hand in someone else's pocket.

Right! My landlady's mother was robbed twice in one month. Last month to be exact. Once with the traditional motorscooter on the sidewalk and grabbed her purse. I do not think that beating these guys up is going to cause them to bring a gun. I think it would make most a little more hesitant to commit such brazen crime, with some exceptions no doubt but with a gun they can't grab and run, They have to confront. I think that takes a different type of criminal. But what other options are there? Sit them down on the curb and recite the Golden Rule to them? REASON with them? Or just let them be in charge and take what they want? Not very many good choices there.

I do agree that the rule of law is best, but the reality is we do not have a rule of law. Sadly we have to deal with reality.

Reactions: Joe
For a good insight into the rule of law, human nature, group think, and morality I suggest William Golding's Lord of the Flies.

Lord of the Flies is on "Daddy's Required Reading List" when each of my kids turns 15, along with To Kill a Mockingbird and The Great Santini.

IMO the public in the video was doing the right thing. The thing with the hammer, not so much.

A friend of mine was driving in Palermo 1 weeks ago and was stopped at a red light, had his windows down
and his cellphone and smokes on the dash. 2 guys came up to the vehicle, one on each side of the door,
and threatened him and his kid sister if he didn't turn over everything he had. He tried to delay them until the light change
(he was boxed in from trafic) but they just reached in and took a few pesos, his cell phone and smokes. He said this sort of
stuff happens often :(

I've only been pick pocketed once, in the tubes at Oxford Circus. 3 Gypsies, one slipped her hand in my pocket to steal my wallet
at the same time 2 BTP Officers were watching them and stopped the train and arrested them for attempted theft of wait for it....

£1.50! A Health Benefits Card and some used Scott Rail tickets! (I had spent my money for the day and use two wallets when I travel)

Got an email from the BTP, 3 months later, 3 were in fact Gypsies from Romania, and were sentenced all to various 30-60 day jail terms/deported!
I was very impressed, though it sounds like it from you guys and gals that I shouldn't expect the same in Bs As to say the least...

Back