Moving A Family To Buenos Aires?

delancepants;
If you don't mind me asking ,what type of international contracting does your husband do? Maybe he could work for or in partnership with an Indian company in Argentina.Tata Consulting Services were clients of mine a few years ago and I knew several Indians living and working here.
i am also surprised that your friend put you off re: Canada .I'm from the U.S. but i hear a lot of good things about conditions there from Canadians on this forum and others.Besides,I would think the visa issue should be easier as it's part of the British Commonwealth.
Argentina should be starting to improve markedly in a year or two so don't totally discard it.I've been here 37 years and the coming years look the most promising I have seen yet.

Well I don't think I'll totally discard it, it could be a possibility for later in life when our kids have left home and we have a bit more flexibility (I love what I'm reading about the place so I'm definitely keeping it in mind for the future!).

My husband is currently Chief Technical Officer for a company here in Kolkata. His background is telecomms, internet and technology. The thing is that he is a little fussy when it comes to a permanent position and so that will limit his options, plus we want to maximise our income at the moment. For short term contracts he is willing to compromise and put up with things he wouldn't in a permanent position plus the income from short term contracts is very high. Neither can we wait around for the right permanent position to turn up as we have the worsening asthma situation and we need to just get out as soon as we can. Interesting to know re indian companies though, I'll get him to look into it.

citygirl - I have not had much success in getting a response from the schools in BA. I suppose right before xmas probably wasn't the best time to try to contact them. Anyway I wanted to double check something with you. You said that a good bilingual school is about 6000 upwards per month. I'm not terribly experienced at this expat stuff but I'm assuming bilingual means that some of the classes are taught in spanish? But my sons don't speak any spanish right now. So am I right in thinking that we actually need an international school or do the bilingual schools have some kind of special program for non-spanish speaking students? (My boys are aged 6 and 3, well nearly 7 and 4 now) And if bilingual schools are not an option for us are the international schools a lot more expensive? Thanks

Our child spoke a little Spanish before he started Belgrano Day School. Right away, they set him up with a private tutor during school hours, about three hours a week. Within a few months, his Spanish was strong enough that they cut the time in half. A few months before the end of the year, he stopped the private tutor. Your children are young enough that I truly would not worry about the language issue. Any good bilingual school is going to have support for the kids who don't speak Spanish. At BDS, there were a few kids in every class who were foreigners (3 from Asia in our child's class). One of the best things about moving your family to BA is learning Spanish, so I would strongly urge you not to do an American school.

Thanks mmoon. Gosh you guys are so helpful! That's really good to know. I think a bilingual school would probably provide a richer cultural experience, which is one of the things we would like for our kids so I'll definitely bear this in mind.

Back