Moving From Los Angeles

Hi everyone!

I am from Los Angeles, and will be moving to BA in August. I have never been, but I am really excited to be living some place where the people are so passionate about where they live.

Can't wait to get there, and hope I make a few friends on this site.

Anyways just thought I would come and say hello and introduce myself.

Welcome! my advice to you is to not read this forum as it's a giant ball of negativity as you can already see.

Yes Welcome Stargatefix ! The forum maybe somewhat straightforward but not entirely negative..Argentina used to be known as the "2nd Chance Country- " El Pais de La Segunda Oportunidad".I hope that whatever your reasons are for coming,they will be satisfied.I hope to meet you at future Coffee Chats when you arrive.

Dont listen to the grumps here.
There are two kinds of expats in BA.
The first kind are here due to their hormones- they fell in love, and ended up here. They are perpetual whiners.
The second kind CHOSE Buenos Aires, after having travelled and lived in cities all over the world. They mostly have a life, and dont spend their time complaining about the government, no matter where they live.
I know many of the second kind, virtually none of em post here.
But they are, indeed, passionate about Buenos Aires, and many have businesses here, are doing great creative work, and having fun.

Dont expect it to be like LA. Enjoy it for what it is. Eat local, go see music, make friends, and dont carry a lot of valuable electronics on your person, and you will have a great time.

The first kind are here due to their hormones- they fell in love, and ended up here. They are perpetual whiners.
The second kind CHOSE Buenos Aires, after having travelled and lived in cities all over the world. They mostly have a life, and dont spend their time complaining about the government, no matter where they live.
But they are, indeed, passionate about Buenos Aires, and many have businesses here, are doing great creative work, and having fun.

Dont expect it to be like LA. Enjoy it for what it is. Eat local, go see music, make friends, and dont carry a lot of valuable electronics on your person, and you will have a great time.

So glad you wrote this. Something similar has been rattling around in my head, but you said it much better.

Hi guys.

I don't expect it to be like Los Angeles at all. I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel out of the States, and feel like I belong somewhere that has culture. Who knows, maybe I hate it in three months and want to come back or move somewhere else. I can always come back if I want, so I don't feel like I am taking a big risk.

I'm passionate about Buenos Aires (this is my 4th trip back in 15 months), just glad I no longer earn in pesos. I was markedly less passionate about it when I did.

Its important to be realistic. Argentines complain about Argentina Danes dont complain about Denmark afaik. Its tough being an expat. Lifes what you make it but its not just a question of turning up with a positive attitude and it all will all work out great! If you have money if you have your own property here, a savvy well educated Argentine spouse, have the ability to return to your native country at the drop of a hat and earn income in a strong currency its very different to just turning up with a positive attitude, hoping to wing it..

Stargatefix, don't worry about the grumps or listen too much to the folk who wear rose-colored glasses. As you seem to be aware, reality lies somewhere in between.

Not too long ago, I was a grump about BA, and at one time in the beginning of my trip you might have been able to call me starry-eyed - though I never quite wore rose-colored glasses. Different people have different odysseys. Some find the sirens, others the one-eyed brutes, and some find their Penelope.

You're right, if you can come down here and return if you realize that BA isn't the place to be, you're risking nothing but time, and time is what it takes to create a real experience.

I think a lot of the "grumps" are not really so much, they are most likely trying to warn people who have never been here, or who have been here for a few visits, and decide to come down and risk quite a bit on a wing without much of a prayer. I know personally a couple of people who have done that and didn't like it, and had real problems getting back. There have been a few examples on the forum as well.

At the end of the day, if you have an escape plan, you'll be just fine. And you may be one who Buenos Aires, or other parts of Argentina, suits perfectly. I admit I probably wouldn't be living here (after 9 years) if I didn't have family obligations and a few very close friends who I would miss very much, but it ain't all bad, and there's enough good to make things reasonably cheerful in a bad case - as long as you are not stuck.

And I can guarantee it sure beats the hell out of Venezuela! hehe.

Back