Moving From Los Angeles

I love all of this feedback.

To be honest my boyfriend and I are just tired. It's like why am I renting an apartment for $2,400usd a month, working my life away, and just constantly stressed and can't sleep because all we think about is work. That's not how it is everywhere else. I took a train from Milan to Paris once, and was talking to a guy who was trying to tell me how wonderful America is. he could not understand how I don't take breaks and sometimes don't even have time to eat lunch.

That is not how people should live. Everyone hates working, but your whole life shouldn't be working Tio you sis, living paycheck to paycheck.

I love all of this feedback.

To be honest my boyfriend and I are just tired. It's like why am I renting an apartment for $2,400usd a month, working my life away, and just constantly stressed and can't sleep because all we think about is work. That's not how it is everywhere else.

It's not much different here. People living in Argentina are constantly stressed because many spend their lives working and get nowhere, can't sleep because they're afraid their house will get broken into, are afraid someone with a gun will enter their building via a delivery guy, that they won't make enough to buy food next month due to an outrageously high inflation, or the daily struggle to get to work when the subway is always on strike. Just because they rhythm is much slower in Argentina and they take two hour coffee breaks with their friends doesn't mean it's less stressful or that people work less than they do in the U.S.

That's true. My boyfriends cousin who lives in Flores says you have to worry about break ins and theft. We will be making money online from Americans though, which I'm assuming will let us live a more relaxed lifestyle.

That's true. My boyfriends cousin who lives in Flores says you have to worry about break ins and theft. We will be making money online from Americans though, which I'm assuming will let us live a more relaxed lifestyle.
You have the the right attitude, inside connections and a good business plan. You just might do quite well.

I have to say - in the States (like pretty much anywhere) it all depends on where you live. There are a number of places where you can live a whole lot cheaper! I had a house in Houston, 3000 sf, and paid $800 a month mortgage. 3 car garage, corner lot, in a very nice neighborhood. There are other places, not suggesting only Texas.

Things are not easy here now, certainly not as easy as when I came 9 years ago. For example, I earn in the States, but it's a bitch getting my money down here. I spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about that. I'm fortunate in what i have set up now, but it's not easy, and not cheap, for the most part. Don't plan on using your ATM card (at least not right now - official rate around 9-1, blue rate around 12.5-1 and expected to rise in the future - you can use it, but you'll be losing around 30% of your value by using ATMs), and don't think you'll be able to open a bank account right away and wire money to your account here (you have to have a DNI to open an account and to transfer money you have to get permission, approved source, and get the official rate as well, and the central bank often holds up money, etc).

Also, not sure if you've seen how rents work here? You can rent temporarily fairly easily, with a maximum (by law) lease terms of 6 months, although you may find people who will rent longer with consecutive leases (won't go much more into that, a bit complicated). Temporaries are more expensive than long-term, and are furnished, but if you decide to stay, you need to find a long-term lease. Temporary leasing can have its own drawbacks in dealing with the owners, particularly those who inventory every little thing in their apartments, down to the number of knives and forks in the drawer.

The great majority of long term leases require a cosigner who puts up their owned property as a guarantee for your lease. The laws here allow people to occupy a dwelling without paying (particularly if children are in the dwelling), for quite awhile (using the legal system, someone may be able to get a squatter out after a couple of years of litigation, possibly more if children are involved as well), and the guarantee is a legal method that the owner can use against the guarantor to try to recuperate something out of the deal (ostensibly the owner could end up owning the guarantor's property). So it's not easy to find someone to guarantee your lease until you've been here awhile and have made enough contacts of the right kind.

And once you have a long-term lease, you then are responsible for pretty much all maintenance of everything, except the pipes in the concrete. Service here is horrible, appliances and furniture are expensive (often, very) and when you have to call someone out to fix something, you will find it may take many trips and even different contractors to get the problem fixed. I once had a refrigerator/freezer that stopped cooling the bottom refrigerator and it took me nearly 4 months, three different companies and 4 different techs to get it resolved - and it broke again a couple of months later. Fortunately, i was accustomed to such issues when this one happened and I had two refrigerator/freezers (we have 5 in our family, very necessary)

Then there are the import restrictions which often hinder things like getting spare parts for appliances. Or even medication.

I mention all of this for the reality of life here, not to scare you away. Things are more simple when you first come to visit, but ongoing life can be much more complicated. If you are looking to make things less complicated and cheaper, you may be in for a bit of a surprise, unless things change a lot after the elections (which most of us are hoping for).

But come experience an adventure, for sure!

The BF and his father are going down first to find us a place and I'm coming a few weeks later. We are prepared to pay a few months in advance to get around the garantia, and I know Argentines are notorious for horrible service haha.

As for the money transfer I was going to use Xoom and go to Uruguay often. Do I still need a DNI for zoom? My BF has one so its not that big of a problem, but just more transferring needs to be done.

You don't need a DNI for Xoom, I don't believe. You may have to go through some process to justify where your money comes from (at least after the first time). you guys should take turns getting the money (edit: well, maybe not. If he has a DNI he could have some issues with AFIP). And I believe that you can't send money to yourself. I've been fortunate enough to only have to use them once and didn't have to justify anything for that one, but there are many posts on here about the limits and all.

Paying a few months (in addition to the deposit) for a permanent lease may be possible, but it's not very common, at least for the type of property and in the neighborhoods I've been renting. The problem with cash in advance like that is that it doesn't help the owner if you're in there for a year or two without paying. My first non-temporary apartment here was actually assuming the rent of an expat who had to return to the US for work reasons and I paid directly to him for a year because he had to pay the entire two years' contract price up front to convince the owner, when he leased the place. That was an extreme case, but I've had offers of 12 months in advance when I was renting - I just don't have that kind of cash all at once. I've always had to find a garantia (and though most say they require a property from here in CABA, of the three garantias I've had, one was from CABA, the other form Mar del Plata and the first from Crodoba province!) and I hate the thought of moving as a result, so I find that I often must "put up" with what I can get into that meets my requirements, even if there are other issues (like the horrible plumbing our building has and has impacted us three times in the year we've lived here so far).

However, it's possible to get someone who will accept a garantia of cash shorter than a year. You being a foreigner from the US (could as easily be Europe, Australia, etc) is a big help, no doubt about it. you will have more probability of being trusted and it may be that your BF and his father could find a place for even a few months in advance.

It's all about hitting the pavement. Most real estate places won't even talk to you if you admit you don't have a garantia. Places like soloduenos.com.ar are mostly owners advertising and even most of them state that they require a garantia. However, you can always not mention it either way (or fib and say you have one) and go see the place. It's best to talk to the owner about not having a garantia, rather than the real estate people.

I have a friend who's never had to find or pay for a garantia. He's a bachelor, though and always has plenty of time to find his next place, though he doesn't move often. He walks the streets where he's interested in living and talks to the porteros of buildings he's interested in to see if there are places to rent, or talks to the portero of buildings that have rent signs out, etc. If you can make direct contact with an owner like that, your chances may be better.

But I have yet to be able to make a deal with someone without a garantia that didn't involve at least a year's rent in advance. However, I have some special considerations, in that I need an office, have three teenage girls and my wife, who all go to school and have needs for their own space, etc. Therefore I need a bigger place than many people, yourselves included it would seem. Bigger places in the city are hard to come by and the owners are surely more stringent as a result of the possibilities of someone squatting in their apartment no matter where they come from. so you guys may have some good luck on that score.

Hi guys.

I don't expect it to be like Los Angeles at all. I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel out of the States, and feel like I belong somewhere that has culture. Who knows, maybe I hate it in three months and want to come back or move somewhere else. I can always come back if I want, so I don't feel like I am taking a big risk.

After three months you will love it... give it three years and you'll understand the poor hormonal saps!!
The sooner you leave after arriving, the sooner you'll want to come back. That seems to be how it works for most.

You don't need a DNI for Xoom, I don't believe. You may have to go through some process to justify where your money comes from (at least after the first time). you guys should take turns getting the money (edit: well, maybe not. If he has a DNI he could have some issues with AFIP). And I believe that you can't send money to yourself. I've been fortunate enough to only have to use them once and didn't have to justify anything for that one, but there are many posts on here about the limits and all.

When you are here on a tourist visa you won't need a DNI to use XOOM and you will be able to send money to yourself while you are in Argentina. It is impossible to send money to yourself with RIA if you are picking up the money in person in Argentina.

While your BF is in BA and you are in LA you can send money to him using XOOM or RIA and he can pick up the money in person at one of their partners' branches.

I have a DNI and two Argentine bank accounts and I have NO issues with AFIP. I send just under $5000 per transfer per month with XOOM to one of my accounts. I keep the amount under $5000 to eliminate the need to do the paperwork every time. The same goes for the same amount of money my brother sends each month to my other bank account. Any month the amount of a RIA transfer exceeds $5000 they ask for a new declaration jurada.

I'm the infamous BF of stargatefix. Thank you very much for the responses. It is interesting reading, honestly, the range of reactions from people who accept the country for what it is, still love it, or are so bitter or negative about living in BA. Not to seem too crass, but I am honestly interesed in what makes you stay in a place you seem to despise.
As an exercise, I've been reading expat forums for people living in Los Angeles, and you get pretty much the same response: "Sprawling, congested, smog, traffic, not my cup of tea", "concrete, traffic, ghetto, noise, overrated"...etc are actual quotes. You can pretty much fill in the blank of American cities, and you will find the same sentiment.
Also, if you watch the news or listen to people speak, you would think we are in the middle of the Apocalypse...that things have never been as bad as they are in America. You would think that the sky has not only fallen, but laid out everything beneath it in fiery rage...Constant complaining and whining about the state of affairs.
My point is that if you pick any city or country from the world, you will have people that hate it (including Denmark, as mentioned above). Of course, it is human nature to be wowed and infatuated with a new place, and that will absolutely wear off with SG and I. I would assume that many of you loved Argentina when you first arrived; wide eyed and fancy free, but it has worn on you. Is that not the case had you moved to any city?
I understand that Argentina has more than its fair share of problems (being Argentine and raised in an Argie household, we are pretty much the most annoying yet passionate people around, with an excess of emotional range).
I'm interested in what brought people to Argentina (other than a boy/girl), what they liked about it, and what (if anything) went terribly wrong. Thanks for all your replies..they are all very insightful and help provide a well rounded picture.

Back