Moving from USA to Argentina....best option with phone?

IslandTime808

Registered
Hi, I'm moving to Argentina from the United States. I previously lived in Mexico where my phone plan with AT&T worked like it would in the US. Is there a best option? Apart from normal things I might also need my phone to log into websites like banks where it requires a pass code. Thank you.

Hi, I'm moving to Argentina from the United States. I previously lived in Mexico where my phone plan with AT&T worked like it would in the US. Is there a best option? Apart from normal things I might also need my phone to log into websites like banks where it requires a pass code. Thank you.
Recommend you look into a VOIP phone and account. I use Vonage. Excellent service, have used for 18 years. There is a monthly fee, now about U$36/month. Once you have their little box you can plug into the internet (modem) anywhere in the world and call and receive calls on a phone handset.

Recommend you look into a VOIP phone and account. I use Vonage. Excellent service, have used for 18 years. There is a monthly fee, now about U$36/month. Once you have their little box you can plug into the internet (modem) anywhere in the world and call and receive calls on a phone handset.
I also recommend the usage of a VOIP phone, but $36 dollars per month is extremely expensive. Many services are under $5 per month and you can have them ring a SIP app on your phone or buy "a little box" (ATA, one-time purchase) here or abroad for about $40 to plug into your internet modem and a traditional telephone. I have 3 telephones on my desk and pay under $5 per month.

Last edited:
I also recommend the usage of a VOIP phone, but $36 dollars per month is extremely expensive. Many services are under $5 per month and you can have them ring a SIP app on your phone or buy "a little box" (ATA, one-time purchase) here or abroad for about $40 to plug into your internet modem and a traditional telephone. I have 3 telephones on my desk and pay under $5 per month.
As expats we're living at the far end of the tether for communications of various sorts. As Vonage has been reliable and flawless in it's service and equipment whether in Europe, South America, Asia or the US I've considered it a minor expense for an invaluable service. Just cutting the cord with AT&T was a delicious moment in life. In addition Vonage supports Norumbo - an online service that allows you to report any unwanted callers (robots callers, spam fax, schools trying to steal your identity, the lot) and those numbers are automatically blocked. That said if there's any outfit in particular you'd like to recommend - all ears. Cheers

Google fi has worked just fine for me for the last 5 years

Are you using Fi as your daily phone? Awhile back there were reports that Google and other Cellular providers we're cancelling accounts that were used primarily outside the US.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Argentina making banking transactions far more complicated than they were for me in Peru means I'm having to come up with x-fer solutions that go beyond going to the nearest ATM with my Charles Schwab debit card and withdrawing US dollars. I'm not gonna whine about that - it is what it is.

So with Western Union I called the 800 # in the US to verify my first transaction because there was no online option to send the SMS Verification Code to an Argentine number. Now I'm trying to use my Schwab debit card to send US $ to a dollar bank account in Peru using Remitly. Same deal with the SMS code. Problem is I haven't had a US number in years and Argentina isn't on Remitly's list of authorized countries from which to send funds, so I'm thinking an online chat explaining my situation isn't going to work like it did with WU.

Instead of involving a friend in the US and trying to co-ordinate a good time for him to receive a code and then get it to me I'm thinking maybe I can use Google Voice, or something similar, so that I have a US number for just such occasions - which isn't that often.

Also eventually looking for an inexpensive solution so that (potential) clients in the US can call me at a US number that I can answer here. Wouldn't be high volume as far as incoming/outgoing calls.

Is Google Voice gonna help me out with my current need, and are there any suggestions for my longer term need?

Are you using Fi as your daily phone? Awhile back there were reports that Google and other Cellular providers we're cancelling accounts that were used primarily outside the US.
yep. been my daily phone since i moved here.

Back