Moving In 3 Weeks

timcostello

Registered
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tim Costello and I'll be moving to BA in a couple weeks. I've never visited but decided to make a life move. I just turned 33 and will be moving from Atlanta GA. Any advice on finding a place to live work etc is all helpful. Thanks.

Welcome! Tim.

There are many good people here will defo help you... good luck!

Welcome Tim!

My studio flat will be available as from the 1st of August, PM if you'd like more details about it.
Good luck with the search!
Cheers,
Ve

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tim Costello and I'll be moving to BA in a couple weeks. I've never visited but decided to make a life move. I just turned 33 and will be moving from Atlanta GA. Any advice on finding a place to live work etc is all helpful. Thanks.

Really? I have to ask b/c I never understand this - why would you move to a place you haven't been ever and have no idea if you like it? Or by "move" do you mean come and visit for 6 months? If the latter, welcome and enjoy. If the former - huh... buckle up as it's going to be a bumpy ride. I suggest you do some reading on this forum to start.

I always follow Twain's advice :D
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

I dunno, if I came down here without ever seeing it to live, expecting the Paris of South America, couldn't find a job or local friends or get involved in the culture and blew 15k in a few months, then headed back home because I was dry $ wise, I would be pretty disappointed I had ever done it!! (its a possibility isn't it?).

But, hey Tim as long as you realise this aint Paris and it isn't that cheap and that finding a job mighn't be easy, nor might Argentine Spanish I think you'll be fine. There is lots to love and lots of fun to be had. Bring plenty of USD cold hard cash here to change on Florida, if your spanish is crappy enrol in a Spanish school (see recommendations on this site, for eg) to get the ball rolling on Spanish and a social life.

But man, please don't just close yourself to BA, there is so much to see out of the CF bubble, both in this country and the continent that it would be a shame to blow all of your money within a 5km radius! If you don't have a job or money getting in the way (mind you, the interior of the country is usually cheaper, bar some of the south) then why not spend a good amount of time in Cordoba, Mendoza, Tucumán, Salta etc. The people are entirely different (well note entirely even though they might tell you :p, but quite different), the life is often another rhythm (with la siesta) and you will get a better taste of more traditional Argentine culture which often is watered down in CF.

Good luck!

Jaja, I love that quote, it gets me into all sorts of trouble.

Hey Tim, my son is 30, currently living in Atlanta and has spent enough time here in Buenos Aires to give you a realistic picture of the place, down to details. If you want to contact him, PM me and I'll give you his email and phone.

Come on guys.... if the guy feels like he should pack and come over here to live.... let him be! it doesn't matter whether he's been here before or not... I mean... That's the magic.. .If You got a feelling that something might be right for you, you go for it! Life is one! and the "Unknown" is what makes the existence interesting.

let it beeee let it be....Let it be...

I did something quite similar a few year ago - but with Chile. After a couple of years I ended up here in Argentina. So glad I took the risk. I agree with trennod about no limiting yourself to Buenos Aires: Take a couple of weeks to travel around and see other parts of the country and then decide.

Back