Moving to BA in 2 weeks

AZBA

Registered
Hi all! I'm a 27 year old American girl moving to Buenos Aires in 2 weeks... I don't know anyone, I don't know exactly which neighborhood I'm moving to... Tips? Suggestions? I will definitely want to meet new people when I get there!! Thanks!

Welcome here!Most expats reside in Palermo, Belgrano(the Northern section of the city), some prefer San Telmo, an old colonial area somewhat run down.
But Caballito is very nice as wel as Devoto, Nuñez, etc.
Once you are here drive around and look.

AZBA said:
Hi all! I'm a 27 year old American girl moving to Buenos Aires in 2 weeks... I don't know anyone, I don't know exactly which neighborhood I'm moving to... Tips? Suggestions? I will definitely want to meet new people when I get there!! Thanks!
You must be a government planner.

AZBA said:
Hi all! I'm a 27 year old American girl moving to Buenos Aires in 2 weeks... I don't know anyone, I don't know exactly which neighborhood I'm moving to...

The virus continues to spread.:eek:

AZBA said:

good luck

stay away from: Barrio Once, Constitucion, Boca, Flores - be very careful around Palermo at night. its quite dark in certain areas. in fact, be careful everywhere you go.

keep your eye on your belongings at all times especially when you ride the bus/subte. try to keep all valuables at home incase you get robbed. just bring the necessary stuff

lock your door at night. even though my husband is from BA, he always tells me to always lock the door at night and windows because someone might come in and steal your stuff

dont act like a tourist

stay away from the Alamo bar :p

and just have fun in Baires. Its a beautiful city but you'll soon find out all the downfalls but other than that, you'll be fine.

:cool:

if you wanna meet new people and go to events/bars, check out this page: http://www.whatsupbuenosaires.com/wuba2/

Barrio Norte is a nice area to stay...if you wanna be in the center of everything

AZBA said:
I don't know anyone, I don't know exactly which neighborhood I'm moving to...

Im just curious...are you exaggerating this or do you seriously not know a soul or where your staying and you heading there in 2 weeks?

I have always wanted to go and I have nothing holding me back... though if you know of a place to stay, I'd love to hear, otherwise I'll be staying at a hostel until I can find a room.

I can recommend you a hostel, as the owner is a friend of a friend of mine. However, as this is the high season and the city is full of brazilians tourist, I am not sure the hostel will have an spot available for you. Hostel El Sol, at Avenida Lima 1169. This is almost the corner with Avenida San Juan, at San Telmo neigbourhood, very convinient to public transportation.
Someone told me about "el conventillo de lujo", which is kind of a hotel in Belgrano neighbourhood, at a good area to start up.
There are two hostel boutique on Costa Rica street, one between Armenia and Malabia street, the second on Costa Rica street, off Avenida Scalabrini Ortiz. Both places are at Palermo Soho, a trendy area with a lot of bars and night life. I dont know about your budget, interests, priorities.

Once you are here, you can search for a roomate or rent an studio for yourself.

There is a very well known real estate agency that rents tempoary fully furnished apartments in San Telmo. I remember it is across the street from Gibraltar Pub, on Peru street, and that the owner of the real estate agency is named Mercedes. Perhaps you can google, make a phone call and figure it out if you like an old style area like San Telmo (again, you can google to look for images of the area)

Thank you so much, Roxana! This is really helpful!!! I'm hoping to find an English teaching job (or several), but I'd also like to play, discover Buenos Aires, and meet people! I will look into your friend's hostel availability today...

You are welcome! I personally think that the hostel experience is cool as you have the chance to live with people from all over the world, who is most likely willing to give you tips and share experience about recent trips around town and the country.

Back