Moving to Bahia Blanca in 2 weeks

jdr7137

Registered
Hola! My husband and I are moving to Bahia Blanca in two weeks for an 11 month work assignment (we are american). Just wanted to see if I could get some advice on a few things!

Visas - I have a temporary visa already, my husband does not but my work will pay for him to get one in BA if we decide he needs it. Should he bother? He will have to go home to see his sick mother often as well as we plan to travel to Uruguay etc. Is it worth the hassle?

Bank accounts - I will have to receive part of my salary in peso from what I understand. How much of a hassle is opening a bank account? Which bank is the easiest for an American to get an account?

Argentina ID - when I got my visa in DC they gave me paperwork to get an argentine ID. Is this necessary? If not, is it worth it?

Anything we should pack with us that others would recommend? We are just planning on bring clothes etc. My husband likes cigars, he will bring some, but I assume that you can get them in Argentina from all over central america? Any advice on cigars would be great. Also, anything else would should bring with us? contact lenses? that kind of thing.

Airport arrival - we fly into the intl airport in BA and then have to switch to the local airport to get to Bahia Blanca. I'll have my visa, so I imagine that I'll try a little time with authorities going over that. My husband doesn't right now and will enter as a tourist. Is it better to pre pay the entry fee or to pay in cash at the airport?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for anyone that can offer advice! We are looking forward to the temporary assignment so much!

A little more about my husband and I - we currently live in Philadelphia PA and have been married one year. My name is Jenn and his is Ryan. He is also going to school online with Penn State and will continue to go to school online while we are down there. No kids yet, and we love to travel

jdr7137 said:
Visas - I have a temporary visa already, my husband does not but my work will pay for him to get one in BA if we decide he needs it. Should he bother? He will have to go home to see his sick mother often as well as we plan to travel to Uruguay etc. Is it worth the hassle?

Bank accounts - I will have to receive part of my salary in peso from what I understand. How much of a hassle is opening a bank account? Which bank is the easiest for an American to get an account?

Argentina ID - when I got my visa in DC they gave me paperwork to get an argentine ID. Is this necessary? If not, is it worth it?

Anything we should pack with us that others would recommend? We are just planning on bring clothes etc. My husband likes cigars, he will bring some, but I assume that you can get them in Argentina from all over central america? Any advice on cigars would be great. Also, anything else would should bring with us? contact lenses? that kind of thing.

Airport arrival - we fly into the intl airport in BA and then have to switch to the local airport to get to Bahia Blanca. I'll have my visa, so I imagine that I'll try a little time with authorities going over that. My husband doesn't right now and will enter as a tourist. Is it better to pre pay the entry fee or to pay in cash at the airport?

Hi Jenn and Ryan, I live 20 KM from Bahia Blanca.

You will need to pay the visa fee on line for Ryan before you go to the airport to fly to Argentina. He will need to present the receipt to be allowed to board.

If you are being paid in pesos in Argentina you will need the Argentine ID (DNI) and also a bank account in which to deposit your paychecks. Migraciones office is on Brown and it's best to go there and get in line (outside) before 8:30 AM. They open at 9 AM and they are usually very busy. You should do this as soon as possible after you arrive in Bahia Blanca.

If Ryan will be traveling at least once every 90 days there is no need for him to get a DNI. I suggest you go to Santander Rio on O'Higgins to open an account. If you don't yet have your DNI you may be able to open an account with a CDI, but you will need to go to the AFIP office to get it.
I'll be happy to answer any questions you have, either in this thread or by Private Message.

Is your employer providing medical insurance for you and Ryan? Private care here is very good...compared to public hospitals.

You probably should bring extra contacts.

steveinbsas said:
You will need to pay the visa fee on line for Ryan before you go to the airport to fly to Argentina. He will need to present the receipt to be allowed to board.

Steve - are you sure about that? From the article it said "The system will be effective as of 31st October 2012 for flights to Aeroparque and 28th December 2012 for Ezeiza "

If the OP is coming in the next 2 weeks, I don't know if she could pay online?

Thanks Steve! I only have my visa with DNM number right now, I have a company called LARM in BB that will take me to get my Argentina ID as well as open a bank account. I think they said we would do that right away, just wanted to know which banks are best. I'll get most of salary in USD with a small amount in peso to comply with my visa and laws so I know I'll need a bank account.

I think my husband is going to pay online if he can for the entry, its easier, just didn't know if that ends up being a longer wait at the airport than if you pay in cash. You never know about those things!

I will get private insurance through my employer, I'm told it is much better than the United States. This is good as I dislocated my shoulder last weekend and will need to follow up with doctors once we are down there. I'm told Bahia Blanca, with its basketball tradition, has great physios.

I'll order some extra contacts now, I think I only have a 3 month supply at the moment.

How difficult is it to import things from the States? If I have my family send me things, or for my husband to get his school books via Amazon or similar? He has everything for this semester coming but not for the next, and if that's an issue he'll have to make sure he gets his books and brings them back with him on one of his trips back to the states.

Other than that, I don't have many questions as I'm just trying to enjoy the experience in the moment and not over think! If you have any general advice to a newbie in Bahia Blanca and the surrounding area I'm all ears!

You can't import things as a rule. They will not arrive or if they do, you will pay OUTRAGEOUS taxes based on what they decide is the value of it. 100% not worth it. Books technically are exempt from that but if he's going back to the US, it's *much* easier for him to pick them up there.

Wouldn't worry about contacts. I just go to the local store, tell them my prescription and they order them for me. No doctor's scrip required. I did have to switch from my previous brand to Accuvue b/c the other brand wasn't sold in Argentina.

Thanks citygirl! I'll tell my husband to get his books back here, better safe than sorry. Or I think I might be able to have them shipped to my work. I guess we'll have to see how that works.

If you're coming down on a temporary work visa, I don't believe the "Argentine ID" that is being bandied about is the DNI, but rather a CDI, which is like a tax ID number for foreigners who don't have a DNI. You have to have residency to get a CUIL, at least a few years ago before I had mine, that's what ANSES told me. The company will probably have to set the bank account up so they can deposit money into your account.

I've heard the Banco de la Nacion is where companies usually set up employee deposit accounts, though the information I get on that is rather sketchy.

I may be missing something in this, for sure.

If Jenn has a temporary work visa (residencia temporaria) that is good for one year she can get a DNI and a CUIL. The CDI is available for individuals who have 90 day visas (residencia transitoria).

I have a one year temporary residence visa. So what are some of the sights you recommend I see around Bahia Blanca? I've heard Monte Hermoso is nice, as well as the mountains. Anything in the city itself, like restaurants etc, that would be good to see?

Back