Moving In Sept! Any Advice?

a hippie way of life is not caring of material things in general, or luxury stuff, eating nothing fancy, like fideos con tuco, or something easy to cook, never on a restaurant, never having extra expenses, just living for the moment, like no planification on anything, like realising you have to eat at 8 o clock so you ll cook something.
Living hippie is living with 2 pesos, walking in stead of using public transport, or using bike, avoid huge expenses....

You can live well with 1000 pesos per person if you dont have ambitions, or you dont like to please yourself very much, or dont care eating out and stuff like that. Hippie.

It's living with two pesos because anything better would require work and effort.

y'all are really giving hippies a bad name. sure, that may be true in a lot of cases, but there are lots of people who live simply just because they don't need "stuff" to live a happy life, and it's a conscious decision, even though they could do more and have more. it's not the case that everyone who lives like this is doing it because they don't want to be bothered to do anything more.

Wow, you must have the full "plastic surgery at your option" medical plan for that price. Mine costs me about 600 pesos with Medicus, includes dentistry, and so far the treatment I have received has been top quality. Doctors excellent, facilities excellent, diagnostics so thorough that they even sent me for an MRI for my ankle problem, something for which I would have had to pay a fortune or wait years for in the UK. I took it out through some expat group scheme and even my Argentine girlfriend has changed to it as her's was twice the price.

Do you have to go to the medcal head quarters all the time to get permission to see a doctor/dentist/whatever all the time with that plan?

Do they change the list of who they work with every 2 weeks so you end up seeing different people all the time?

If not i might have to change medical plans!

Do you have to go to the medcal head quarters all the time to get permission to see a doctor/dentist/whatever all the time with that plan?

Do they change the list of who they work with every 2 weeks so you end up seeing different people all the time?

If not i might have to change medical plans!
No, all seems perfectly normal and very easy.

You've been here for the past 2 years and you thought you could get by on $1500 pesos per month excluding rent?

I've been visiting every 4 months or so, spending generally 3-4 weeks at a time in Bs.As.

If you read my original post I said between 1500 and 2500 pesos, which didn't include money for entertainment and other expenses that people in this thread have warned me might arise.

I've been visiting every 4 months or so, spending generally 3-4 weeks at a time in Bs.As.

If you read my original post I said between 1500 and 2500 pesos, which didn't include money for entertainment and other expenses that people in this thread have warned me might arise.

Iron Law of the Forums Number Two - Nobody bothers to actually read what you wrote.

y'all are really giving hippies a bad name. sure, that may be true in a lot of cases, but there are lots of people who live simply just because they don't need "stuff" to live a happy life, and it's a conscious decision, even though they could do more and have more. it's not the case that everyone who lives like this is doing it because they don't want to be bothered to do anything more.

If I gave that impression, I probably expressed myself wrong. I dont judge hippies in no way. In fact, I admire them. I said I could not live like that, but thats me, I am a lot more complicated, for example to eat, that people that live like this. I repeat, I feel some kind of admiration for these people.

I like a lot their Hobbesian State of Nature, and their deep anti systemic feeling that put into parctice 24 hours a day. I found it all very romantic (in the wide sense of the word)!

http://en.wikipedia....State_of_nature

Iron Law of the Forums Number Two - Nobody bothers to actually read what you wrote.

I believe it has taken until now to reveal that they have spent almost a month every four months the last two years.

El Niño stated this thread by asking about living costs and work in Argentina. How much time he has spent with his girlfriend in the past shouldn't make any difference. Neither should the fact that he can return (possibly) to live with his family in Canada.

He made it clear in his first post that he would not have to pay rent. I think he's received good info about "other" living costs and teaching jobs in this thread.

I'm happy for him that he and his girlfriend have a place to live without paying rent and without living with her parents, but that really isn't any of my business.

I do think he may be one of the best prepared young men to move to BA that ever posted about it in the forum.

And perhaps the best prepared young man ever to move to BA without already having a job. :)

I'm not giving hippies a bad name. But this new bohemian way of life here is about being lazy and has nothing to do with hippies. Back in the 60s it wasn't just a way of life. The original authentic hippies started a powerful movement in order to change society. My Uncle was kicked out of Yale for protesting against Vietnam, and when he was sent there to fight he refused to pick up a gun and was found drunk living inside a Vietnamese dump truck in order to make a point. These new bohemian kids aren't contributing to society by spending as little as possible in order to avoid working and claim that they're against a materialistic lifestyle. There are no more hippies. I respect the original hippies, but this new generation can't claim that they're hippies.

Back