Moving In Sept! Any Advice?

Here is my minimum budget of getting by ok in BsAs (to note, I spend more than this):
food per month, groceries: $900
pharmacy/hygene costs: $300
cleaning products: $100
clothing (this works out to one piece of clothing per month, like a pair of cheaper shoes, or a pair of jeans): $600
cel phone: $150
transport (2 subte rides perday): $270
transport (2 bus rides per day): $75
going out to eat once a week to some place cheap to eat, incaa film($200 each time you go out): $800
go to public hospitals if you get sick
extras that come up, like buying a newspaper, a book, emergency, taking a taxi: $500
I have $3695 pesos. I think this would be the minimum to get by without feeling dirt poor

El Niño - you aren't too far off, assuming you're not living in a posh neighborhood. Buenos Aires living expenses are incredibly low compared to North America (esp. rent).

Monthly expenses:
Groceries = AR$500/week (for vegetarians); so 250/person
Dining out = AR$100 (neighborhood place) to AR$200 (nicer place) - per person
Internet + home phone: AR$300; so 150/person
Basic Total: AR$2750/ US$250 [dining out twice a week and going to an event once a week for AR$100]

Add US$200 or 300 for local transport (super-cheap), cell phone, medical care, laundry service (AR$30 per load), and non-food shopping.
Somewhere between US$500 - 600 is safe.
Bottom line: you certainly can get by for very little here

I know that this board can really be sour grapes, we DO tend to have a habit of chasing off new posters who come on here all positive and looking forward to their new life in BA and we do just kind of crap all over it. So yes, take what we say with a grain of salt and remind yourself that while we bitch and whine, a lot of us are still here after all these years so there must be something (positive, or negative!) keeping us in the country.

The above paragraph reminded me of this thread (some "new posters" are already full of crap):

http://baexpats.org/...os/page__st__30

I realize that El Niño already has been to BA and will be living with his girlfriend (and perhaps two other Argentines who may or may not be her parents).

I think "survival" on $2600 pesos per month is possible if one does not have to pay rent, utilities, or household expenses.

I like Montauk_Projects's projected budget of $3695 ppm with a monthly cell phone cost of $150 instead of El Niño's $300, and if you eliminate going out to eat, cleaning products, extras, and clothes, the total is only $1695. A man can probably budget about $150 less for pharmacy/hygene costs and that brings the total down to $1545. El Niño can still pay for the cheapest Medicus plan and hit a sub-total of $1995. That leaves $600 pesos a month to buy that one piece of clothing or cheap shoes, or take everyone out to dinner once, or make a "contribution" to help pay for the cleaning supplies, cable TV, internet connection, utilities, etc...actions which would make anyone who is not paying rent a much more welcome house guest.

Nonetheless, by the planned arrival date in September, it may be necessary to spend half of that $600 peso "surplus" to buy the same groceries that $900 pesos will buy today. Unfortunately, the other $300 pesos will probably be eaten by inflation as well...possibly in less than six months...almost certainly within a year. Cutting some of Montauk_Project's allowance of $355 pesos per month for bus and subte rides might be possible, but not by much if it is necessary to get to "work" using public transportation.

PS: A few months ago I went shopping for shoes and socks in Bahia Blanca. The only "acceptable: casual shoes were $1100 pesos/$110 USD and the only socks I liked (crew style) were $105 pesos, so $600 pesos doesn't go very far these days. (I bought a pair of "acceptable" casual shoes in the same store in 2010 for $220 pesos/$50 USD).

I just noticed this in the OPs original post -that in a pinch he can live off his Canadian savings and head home to his parents if/when his savings run out That doesn't make me think he's committed to any girlfriend although he seems to know her parents. Worse, hasn't he seen the $CAD fall by 20% between October/12 and Dec/13? Nor read this week that the Bank of Canada wants interest rates lowered even further in the belief that this will spur exports? This keeps the $CAD low.

My newly retired husband is now working here in France part-time so that he can counter some of that 20% loss but he's not happy about needing to work again or cutting down our already modest 'entertainment' budget. He got work because we're proper residents here and his expertise and experience are rare here. He's a go-getter!

We're seeing our Canadian money look more like play money every month! Even so, we'll never return to Canada. (We couldn't afford to move back, anyway!) Struggling a bit here is definitely worth all the non-monetary benefits here of which some that count most to us are similar to Argentina's. (We chose where we live on that basis ) I'm glad we moved BEFORE the $CAD began and kept on diving. Its huge decrease in value gives the message that one should never leave Canada and just stay put there if one isn't wealthy. Being isolated from the rest of the world there is a thought that makes me shudder so I stomp on it fast, look around me and smile.

For how long does the OP think his savings will support his girlfriend and him?! Do they plan to marry in Argentina? If not, what happens to HER if she's still with him if and when he has to run off to Canada hoping his parents will still be willing and capable of supporting him? How would SHE live there if they married? I wouldn't opt for moving to a new country to live with the parents of the foreign guy I love!

On the other hand, it might not be so bad to have a poor foreign boyfriend if you've a chance of eventually marrying him. Poor or rich, he's still a national of a 'better' country where, theoretically at least he will still be able to make money again if he becomes broke in Arg and has to go home.

So why then did the OP mention moving back to Canada only in terms of spongeing off his parents there if he has to move back? That's odd.

I'm sorry if I'm, in fact, denigrating a bright, loving and committed couple. But since he's not disclosed much publicly and since decisions to move abroad are serious by nature and drag from one even the questions that are uncomfortable to address, or unless one's a kid for whom 'forever' means about 6 months, I'm within bounds to think of the not-so-great potential scenarios. Some people just don't like it when the thoughts in their heads aren't affirmed by a forum.

I appreciate all the factual information everyone's providing in this thread. It's so up-to-date and covers the bases. My husband and I still read and talk about Argentina almost daily. You guys helped guide our decision to not move there at what would have been the wrong time for us all circumstances considered. I hope The OP realizes the great way you're helping him. It would be nice if he filled us in more on how his decision is going. I wish him and her the best whatever they decide. .

OUCH.

Hi all!

Thanks for all the awesome advice on budgeting. You all gave me a lot to consider. I'll definitely be revisiting my budget and planning more realistically. I'll also make sure I update this thread in the months following my move to let you know how much I'm getting by on, and how!

There were some other areas of concern I had - I'd really like to get into teaching English. I know the pay is low, but I think if I'm able to stick it out I can work my way up towards something better.

My question is - will I need a DNI to teach at an institute? I'm reading a lot of conflicting info on this one - some say most institutes hire 'negra' but others are saying that all will ask for a DNI.

In the case that I'll need one (which I've been doing a lot of research on), I understand there's only three ways it's possible:

1 - investment visa (need to have foreign investment/pension of over 8000pesos per month)
2 - student visa (need to be enrolled full-time?)
3 - work visa (need to be hired by the institute and have them help before I can apply for the DNI)

Just wanting to know if someone can verify the above for me, or if there is another way I could get the DNI. Also - does the concept of residencia precaria still apply for me? Do I need to get residency before I can apply for any of the 3 above?

(I know about the criminal record check with apostille that needs to be translated as well as the certificado de antecedentes penales, certificado de domicilio, and copias autenticadas of everything)

Thanks!

My question is - will I need a DNI to teach at an institute? I'm reading a lot of conflicting info on this one - some say most institutes hire 'negra' but others are saying that all will ask for a DNI.

In the case that I'll need one (which I've been doing a lot of research on), I understand there's only three ways it's possible:

1 - investment visa (need to have foreign investment/pension of over 8000pesos per month)
2 - student visa (need to be enrolled full-time?)
3 - work visa (need to be hired by the institute and have them help before I can apply for the DNI)

Just wanting to know if someone can verify the above for me, or if there is another way I could get the DNI. Also - does the concept of residencia precaria still apply for me? Do I need to get residency before I can apply for any of the 3 above?

You may be able to work at an institute without a DNI. You will find out for sure when you start applying for work. A call center might actually help you get work visa and a DNI. Others have made unfavorable posts about working at a call center.

The "visas" you listed above actually confer temporary residency if and when they are granted. Then the DNI will be mailed to you in about 30 days.

Actually, the inversionista (investor) visa is "different" from the pensionado or visa rentista. The investor visa is based on investing in a business in Argentina and the latter two are based on passive foreign income received while you are living in Argentina. Of course the visa estudiantes is the student visa and you must enroll as a full time student in an approved university to qualify.

You will receive the residencia precaria after you submit the required paperwork to migraciones. It's only "vaild" for a limited time.

I talked to a friend who is musician, and has a very hippie life. He earns 5 thousands pesos, lives with his girlfriend in an appartment they own in Lugano, so they dont pay rent.
The two of them, I repeat, with a hippie way of life, spends 2,000 pesos per month. And they own an old car that demands lot of gas, and they travel from Lugano to Pilar at least twice a week.

You may be able to work at an institute without a DNI. You will find out for sure when you start applying for work. A call center might actually help you get work visa and a DNI. Others have made unfavorable posts about working at a call center.

The "visas" you listed above actually confer temporary residency if and when they are granted. Then the DNI will be mailed to you in about 30 days.

Actually, the inversionista (investor) visa is "different" from the pensionado or visa rentista. The investor visa is based on investing in a business in Argentina and the latter two are based on passive foreign income received while you are living in Argentina. Of course the visa estudiantes is the student visa and you must enroll as a full time student in an approved university to qualify.

You will receive the residencia precaria after you submit the required paperwork to migraciones. It's only "vaild" for a limited time.

Thanks Steve!

I did read a few negative posts about call centres - hopefully I won't have to go that route.

I suppose I'll know more once I arrive, as I'll start talking to the institutes. Should I need a DNI, my plan is to enroll at a college/university and apply for a student Visa that way.

Do you happen to know the rules surrounding the student Visa process? I know you need a 'inscripcion electronica' to prove you are enrolled - but how do they determine if it's an eligible college or institute, and what constitutes 'full-time'? I've also heard it's common to enroll at UBA (which would be free) just for the purposes of the Visa, and not actually attend classes. Is this actually possible? I would think the government would have some control over this?

Back