Moving to Argentina how do I keep a US phone number?

https://freecarrierlookup.comAs @julia_en_ruta mentioned, I've been using Numberbarn and have been able to receive 2FA's through it. I use the cheapest plan, so I get texts as emails, but this doesn't bother me. I've been using the service for over a year and no issues.
Numberbarn numbers don't work with all the banks/websites. My guess, it is labelled as a VOIP number (check freecarrierlookup), and and you are getting similar results as you would with services like Google Voice. But it's great it works for you.

Numberbarn numbers don't work with all the banks/websites. My guess, it is labelled as a VOIP number, and you are getting the same results as with Google Voice, for example.
There may be issues if you are trying to set up a new 2FA service, but if you already have 2FA setup I don't think banks are re-checking whether it's VOIP if you port your number to a different provider. As I said, I've had no issues with it and use 2FA for many websites, including banks.

Many, but not all, iphones are "dual sim", which really means you get a US esim from your US carrier, then buy a movistar or claro sim in Argentina. You can switch back and forth with a toggle of one "switch" in settings. Pay your US bill, and it will still work. I keep my US side on wifi only in Argentina, no roaming charges, and it will send and receive sms over the wifi.

Openphone. I've used it for years. You pay 10 bucks a month and can receive 2FAs from your bank in the US. It's VOIP and has nothing to do with any sim card.

Hi Feather, I lived in PA over 30 years. I moved to Argentina a year ago. I still keep my cell phone from over there (Tmobil), besides the argentinian one I have here. I think it is easiest and worth it for me to do it this way. My monthly bill is not bad. And the one here is so cheap, that it makes up the difference.

Back