Moving to Argentina how do I keep a US phone number?

my pixel is one esim, and one physical sim.

I didn't think the Arg carriers worked with esim?

Are you connecting to local cell towers with your phone, or are you using Wi-Fi calling? How much does it cost?
I only use it to get bank text verifications...mint mobile is $15 a month...ultra mobile which doesn't work is $3 a month, lol...

I only use it to get bank text verifications...mint mobile is $15 a month...ultra mobile which doesn't work is $3 a month, lol...
Thanks, but is it connecting to the local cell towers? Does it say something like your Mint Mobile sim card is now connected to Movistar network?
Most USA MVNOs don't roam overseas.

I kept my current US AT&T plan and added the Latin-South America unlimited plan. No charges for roaming, data, text, or calls. I am working remotely and couldn't take a chance on my service not working correctly.

Thanks, but is it connecting to the local cell towers? Does it say something like your Mint Mobile sim card is now connected to Movistar network?
Most USA MVNOs don't have roaming overseas.
Does anyone have experience keeping a Mint Mobile subscription going while down here? I got one last time I Was in the US for work and I was hoping to keep it active here for things like bank texts, etc. Any thoughts?

I got a US number through TextNow, though I don't pay for data so I couldn't port my old number. It's been working for a year and a half a this point, and I can use it to call or text the US and Canada free ($10/yr to use the service at all). It works for most 2FA, though not Venmo/Paypal. @RecumbentRider was able to port his US number to NumberBarn, which is similarly inexpensive. He can speak to his feelings about using the service.

I ported my US number over to google voice. I have a local Argentine phone that I use for day to day stuff, but all my calls to US numbers are done through google voice - which I access through my laptop computer or through my phone (google voice uses internet/data not phone service)

Phone service, text message, voice mail, upload photos, etc

Its free. Its easy. never had a problem.

Last edited:
I ported my US number over to google voice. I have a local Argentine phone that I use for day to day stuff, but all my calls to US numbers are done through google voice - which I access through my laptop computer or through my phone (google voice uses internet/data not phone service)

Phone service, text message, voice mail, upload photos, etc

Its free. Its easy. never had a problem.
Can you receive 2FA’s

We just use Google Voice. Not everything will send to it (most banks do), but you can adjust your 2FA settings so you get email too or a call. We haven't hit any roadblocks.

Back