Moving To B.a. In January. Is Part-Time Work Easy For Expat?

jkarsant

Registered
My friend and I am moving to Buenos Aires for about 4 months starting in January. We are looking for part-time or possibly full-time jobs to keep us afloat. Is it an easy or hard thing to be employed as an English speaking expat? We have never been to Buenos Aires, let alone South America and some type of direction would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
John

When posting questions like this (for you and the many who've done so in the last few months), PLEASE mention what you are looking for and what your skills/background is? Otherwise, you're asking others to take the trouble to ask you about your skills if they want to help you. If you don't offer such info, it can be disrespecting of others who take the time to read your vague post.

Is part-time work easy to find? Yes, I often see locals on the train selling candy part-time. However, I am guessing that is not the kind of part-time work that you are looking for.

Make it easy for others to help. Remember that nobody (yet) owes you a favor ;-)

My friend and I am moving to Buenos Aires for about 4 months starting in January. We are looking for part-time or possibly full-time jobs to keep us afloat. Is it an easy or hard thing to be employed as an English speaking expat? We have never been to Buenos Aires, let alone South America and some type of direction would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
John
Welcome to Buenos Aires and this forum. A lot of bull shit you have to wade through so get your boots out. My sincere apologies.

Finding full or even part-time work without a visa and much less only speaking English will make it near impossible to find a job in an Argentine company. You can teach English but you probably won't make enough to live off.

Welcome to Buenos Aires and this forum. A lot of bull shit you have to wade through so get your boots out. My sincere apologies.

You can apologize all you want but I unequivocally disagree. The OP asked an extremely vague question and one that has been covered hundreds of times for previous first-timers coming to Buenos Aires. Where's the bull shit in Wongjoh's response?

This forum is populated by many members who are very, very helpful. Further, the search bar works.

Are you volunteering to be the Official First Time To Buenos Aires Question Responder?

Working in Bars and English teaching jobs are a plenty (no visa required)- but you will not get paid much but it is doable if you can arrange a long term stay in a hostel (many offer cheaper rates for long term rentals) Don't compare the wages to the UK or US and accept BA for what it is and isn't and you will have a great time. Look on craigslist Buenos Aires for employment.

Hahaha wow! Harsh start to this website, I can take it though. Taking the time to respond to my question is much appreciated as I am still learning about B.A. I did a little research online, but thought it would be nice to see some dialogue. My original question definitely should have been more detailed, so I hope this helps narrow it down a little...

I will be in B.A. for a few months starting in January and depending on how things go, I could stay a little longer if I want. Being a DJ at a night club or a bar would be my #1 choice, but I don't know anyone or what that scene is like in Buenos Aires. Teaching Tennis is what I am best at and would consider doing, but not on the top of my list (would love to play in a tennis league though if anyone wants a ringer on their team!). Working at a bar or teaching English sounds like it could be fun if that is a common route. Due to some of the posts above, it sounds as though most part-time jobs won't pay much....and I just found out it is Illegal :)

All responses are appreciated and it will be nice to connect with some of you.

Thanks,
John

Hi jkarsant, your second post is definitely a lot more informative than the first! Use the search function and you will find lots of good info. As others have said, many people start out teaching English or other foreign languages, and as they say, it does not pay well at all. Some people are able to get full time jobs at schools, which provide more stability. The thing with teaching here, whether a language or tennis, is that you usually have to put together a schedule of lots of different people, and it is quite an administrative task - constantly juggling schedules and making sure people pay even if they cancel etc. I see this even with friends who teach at the universities - lots of small contracts, no paid prep time etc. Teaching is basically never lucrative here from what I understand.

The DJ/bar scene might work, but there are lots of people who do this kind of work or who aspire to do it, so as a newcomer you will make very little.

If you have any possibility of some contractual work with your home country, that is your best bet. An income of even just a few hundred dollars a month would make a difference. As a DJ, is there any freelance work you can do for the music industry in the US, for instance?

Oh, and get cracking on the Spanish if you don't already know it! More people speak English here than other Latin American countries I have lived in, but it will make everything easier if you can communicate with people. Suerte!!

Back