Moving To Ba From Texas In January!

I haven't had the experience of being black here. I truly can't speak to that. You hear some racism here, from time to time from low-class idiots and taxi drivers, but I've encountered that level and worse in New Zealand and Australia. I'm not sure it's much more than in America... and it's of a different type. I think people here tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. There are so few black people in Argentina that generally I think they're treated as more of a curiosity. Most Argentines I know are completely non-racist, and most of them also hate the taxi drivers in this country (on the basis of the same). However, if you don't want to feel different, that could be a concern. I spent a year in Vietnam living in an area outside HCMC where I was the only Caucasian, and children would chase me down the street and people would stare at me like I had two heads, because apparently to them Caucasians look like we have two heads. And that I would say is an eye-opening experience. I also dated a black girl in Los Angeles for a few months, and never before did I realize what it's like to have everyone turn and stare at you (and not just because you're walking next to a beautiful girl). I don't think it's anywhere near that bad here. I don't know anyone on a personal level here who is racist at all. I wouldn't let it put you off from checking the place out. This is not, like, Montenegro where skinheads go on rampages against anyone who isn't a Serb. People here are very cool and accepting and it would be a shame if you let what someone says on this forum put you off of coming here on the basis of your skin color.

Every country has its share of ignorants. Argentina, if it's not better than most countries when it comes to racism, is definitely no worse. If racism and xenofobic moods are what you're afraid of, then by all means avoid Europe at this particular time in history. Europe is getting tense and explosive recently, with the refugee crisis. Increasingly dangerous for everyone.

I was very happy with the initial research I did on Argentina. I originally was moving to Paris and got tied up in visa red tape. I have been wanting to teach English abroad for a while. I decided against Paris for geographical and visa reasons and wanted to find somewhere that offered the things that i would enjoy. 1. Good food, 2. Good wine 3. Relaxed people 4.Culture and history 5. A different way of life.
I am not afraid of being transplanted somewhere new, and having to adjust to new language and culture. I just don't want to have a terrible shock to where I am socially isolated or in a place that does not welcome American black people. I am not not trying to become rich, it is more the experience for me. I am a fairly happy person day to day, and I don't need to make thousands.
I quit my well paying job to do something totally different, and that in and of itself is scary.

It sounds like you have a great attitude and outlook. I think you'll do great in BA, and if it doesn't work out the way you want, you'll find someplace else. Don't let people discourage you from coming and giving this crazy and amazing country a try! If we all didn't feel passionately about Argentina, we wouldn't bother babbling away on this forum.

I wasn't trying to discourage you (or anyone else) from coming here. But I've also seen how much fluff is available on the internet that talks about what a paradise Argentina is without talking about anything else. I was trying to make sure that there was some offset in expectation, that's all. Over the last 9 years that I've lived here permanently (and the last 6 years that I've been a member on this forum) I can't count the number of people who have come down from the States intending to teach English as means to live, thinking that because it's Argentina they will simply have a great time and not have to worry about anything. I've seen a large percentage of them pick up and leave.

But I'm still here. Obviously, I bitch about things, but I bitched about things in the States too. I try to be realistic wherever I am. I'm certainly not bitter, though - I just don't try to tell everyone "oh, you'll love it, everything is so perfect, there's no place better" without some reality to mix in.

My most important point in all of what I wrote was - don't make a permanent move until you are comfortable with it. Come down with the intention of staying a year or so and find out how things are. Just make sure you have some cash to get back or move to somewhere else, just in case. I could regale you all with the story of an acquaintance of mine who found himself begging for the overstay visa money in the airport itself (I'm not exaggerating!) because he'd spent his very last dime in the world on his ticket back home and the taxi ride out to the airport (actually, he borrowed that from a friend of mine)...he was so desperate to leave.

I didn't even consider your race as an issue - in that, I agree completely, no reservations, with TwentyThousandRoads (maybe I should start using TTR to shorten your name :) ) and others who have made similar comments, that you shouldn't worry about being black as a reason not to come here.

Regards racism, and I saw the other thread too - Camberiu made some very good points, as well as a comment that EJLarson made. Racism is easy to say, but it's not always racism here but rather some xenophobia mixed with elitism and containing a healthy dose of low self esteem as a country and trying to make up for it too much sometimes.

I was surprised at what Camberiu said about black folk - most women I know here like black men, at least from the States - they find them exotic. I'd never thought about black men from Africa though, maybe there is a difference. I've never heard Ceviche talk about having problems dating Argentine women, either, but maybe he simply doesn't talk about it or I've missed it. I have a couple of black friends who come down often from the States and have enjoyed their visits immensely. One of them got fairly serious with one of my wife's cousins, in fact (although, OK, she is Paraguayan - they're the best in the world anyway ;) ), but he couldn't stay and she wasn't interested in a long-distance relationship. They still keep in touch, in fact, as friends. Maybe it is indeed because my friends are American and that does often trump all (definitely more of an advantage, but I've had some run-ins simply because I was American as well, though I can count the number of times on both hands, which ain't bad for 9 years). It could also well be that Argentine men feel differently about black women than Argentine women feel about black men, I could see that.

I wonder if Camberiu's experience as a mixed race male may have something to do with being Brasilian as well, though - I know many, many Argentinos who have very little good to say about Brasilians, particularly because Brasil has become (or at least was!) a regional powerhouse who was eclipsing Argentina in economic terms, which wouldn't settle well with many Argentinos. Also, some Brasilians here stick out when they speak, like some Americans do - often loud and boisterous.

A few months ago I met one of our oldest's friends who is going to UADE. She's from the States, black, about 20, and doesn't seem to have any problems getting along here with Argentine males. Don't anyone take that wrong, she seems like a nice young lady - they were getting ready to go dancing and I couldn't help but overhear some comparisons while they were styling their hair and putting on makeup.

Indeed, our girls are from Paraguay and they have encountered all kinds of xenophobia here. Some of it is certainly kidding around, but some of it is some of the most mean-spirited crap I've ever heard. My wife has encountered some pretty crappy stuff as well. It hasn't stopped them (our girls, not my wife!) from enjoying themselves here with people of all nationalities, Argentinos included. Although they often prefer guys from other countries, most notably the US and Europe, because they find them to be more gentlemanly, at least at first (I mean come on, all guys, no matter where they're from, want pretty much the same thing!). Their biggest complaint about Argentine guys seems to be that they all expect to leave the bar within a short time after they've met and go hop in the sack, and that's not what our girls are after.

As far as one of the poster's (TTR was it?) comments about Paraguay being the same in terms of service and such as here - you're right, but you're missing a large part of the point (which I may not have explained in my post :) I'm lazy sometimes and didn't bother to go back read what I wrote to see how detailed I was). I can move to Paraguay, open a bank account, get money wired to my bank account (as I've experienced, having a bank account in Paraguay), pull USD out of ATMs, the exchange rate is not a crazy thing with a number of different rates (although hopefully that will change here soon) and I can live for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price as I live here, in as good housing as I have here or better, and I can rent a house with nothing more than a deposit and first month's rent, long term, without a property guarantee. It wasn't a case of the grass being greener, but rather a knowledge of the difference, as I've spent a lot of time in Paraguay. It may be there are even better places in South America, I'm just talking about my experience.

The biggest reason we haven't done that is that my wife grew up very poor in Paraguay and lived in hell in relation to the rich people there, many of whom treat the poor as slaves every chance they get (in some cases not so different than some experiences we've had here with some rich folk). Then there is school for our three young ladies (my wife's younger sisters), which, as much as I think poorly of Argentine schools, many (most?) of the Paraguayan schools are worse - at least where they're from. And our oldest is studying international business here and there is no comparable university there that has as good a program as where she studies here. Of course, there isn't nearly as big an American/European/Australian presence there either which does mean something to me (though not the most important of things, to be sure) - I'm not interested in completely giving up my native culture and I share many more things in common with that group than I do with Paraguayans or Argentinos, although I have good friends from both countries.

All of the insight and feedback is much appreciated!! I definitely still would like to see how I like things. I think Veteran made a good point about being realistic, wherever you are. No place is perfect. You just have to weight the pros and cons vs what you personally can get out of it. I personally would like to experience it for myself , so that I shall!

I know I probably sound schizophrenic on this forum, but every day I wake up with a new thought. I think its just excitement and my own personal fear of unknown.

I know I probably sound schizophrenic on this forum, but every day I wake up with a new thought. I think its just excitement and my own personal fear of unknown.
I'll take a guess here - you're a human being, right? ( See! I knew I was psychic!)

Well, you can get a flu shot, but fear of the unknown? I think that's still in the "no cure yet" column.

I lived in Argentina for a couple of years with work and return frequently as my GF is Argentine.

If you want to teach English for a bit and have an adventure, I would say Buenos Aires is your place. It won't always be smooth sailing but just bring plenty of cash - so you can live an upper middle class (Arg standards) life while you are here and you will have a great time.

Welcome! Many great things here :) however, I'll tell you right now, if you're addicted to hummus, almond milk, or Kraft Mac n Cheese, you better learn to live without it...I'm still a bit bitter, as you can tell lol

Hummus is actually pretty easy to make, and in a few kosher markets in palermo you can buy it in jars. The Kraft and Almond Milk are a problem though... I dream of that beautiful neon orange "cheese" quite often haha.

Back