Moving to BA in July 09

Paid well compared to who?

Compared to teachers in private schools and about every single other worker. And then you don't even talk about the benefits you have and dont have in most private institutes

They earn a scratch over minimum wage. How is that well paid?

If I were you I would check out what's the average pay for a single turno(4 hours) is and then respond again

Hello, I send my daughters to a public primary school. Normal 1 is one of the best schools in Buenos Aires near from Cordoba and Callao, and I am taking them from Palermo.
If you want to send your children there, you have to go to check if they have vacant to take an exam in the end of the year in order to enter from the next year, but as you are going to stay here for very short term I am not sure that you can and indeed some paper works, but it will be good to talk with the director
http://ens1de1.buenosaires.edu.ar/inicial_inicio.html#inicial_inscripcion (For primary school)
http://ens1de1.buenosaires.edu.ar/medio_inscripci%F3n.html#medio_inscripcion
(Form Secondary School)
If you can provide a little more information (exact ages and girl or boy with or without Spanish, I can ask them on Tuesday if you want.
and for your reference, I pay $100 pesos by child by year as volounty fund (meanwhile if you want to pay more or less you can )
and they have clasees in the mornig, or all the day or in the afternoon,
and off couse all of the classes in Spanish, they have one hour English or French class by day but not is the Bilingual Educational System.
In Palermo, I know a good private school called Langeley School (bilingual English and Spanish), has any levels
http://www.langeley.esc.edu.ar/
As for a department house a friend of mine has a good furnished one in Palermo, if you want I can ask it to him.

Tomokoar said:
Hello, I send my daughters to a public primary school. Normal 1 is one of the best schools in Buenos Aires near from Cordoba and Callao, and I am taking them from Palermo.
If you want to send your children there, you have to go to check if they have vacant to take an exam in the end of the year in order to enter from the next year, but as you are going to stay here for very short term I am not sure that you can and indeed some paper works, but it will be good to talk with the director
http://ens1de1.buenosaires.edu.ar/inicial_inicio.html#inicial_inscripcion (For primary school)
http://ens1de1.buenosaires.edu.ar/medio_inscripci%F3n.html#medio_inscripcion
(Form Secondary School)
If you can provide a little more information (exact ages and girl or boy with or without Spanish, I can ask them on Tuesday if you want.
and for your reference, I pay $100 pesos by child by year as volounty fund (meanwhile if you want to pay more or less you can )
and they have clasees in the mornig, or all the day or in the afternoon,
and off couse all of the classes in Spanish, they have one hour English or French class by day but not is the Bilingual Educational System.
In Palermo, I know a good private school called Langeley School (bilingual English and Spanish), has any levels
http://www.langeley.esc.edu.ar/
As for a department house a friend of mine has a good furnished one in Palermo, if you want I can ask it to him.
Thank you for the information. We will look into Langeley School. Yes, please ask your friend about his apartment in Palermo. We will arrive July 29th and depart at the end of November/beginning of December.
Gracias!

I think it's going to be hard to get your kids into any school for just four months. I can assure you that you will NOT be permitted to enroll your children in a state school. There is a lot of bureaucracy involved in private schools. Since your four months will overlap the summer period in the US, why even bother with school enrollment? You can home school. They'll only miss two months of school. You can find teachers to instruct them. Other than that, BAICA (Buenos Aires International Christian Academy) and Lincoln School might be able to make special arrangements. They are the only US style schools in the country.

I agree that academically it's probably not worth putting the kids in school. But school is not just about the academics it's also about socializing, being exposed to a different system, different teachers, probably different subjects, being exposed to Spanish & having a routine, etc, etc. The experience is invaluable. If I had children & they were put in this same situation, I would definitely send them to school, even if they didn't get an "credit" for it.

Our 13 year old wants to go to school in BA even though we have made arrangements for home study. We also think the social aspects of school would be a great exerience (even if it's a little tough). Having said that, what about catholic schools? Which neighborhood(s) has/have good/affordable catholic schools?
Thanks!

I an American living in BsAs and can handle your airport transfer (and more) if you don't have a crazy amount of luggage. I'm doing Lincoln Town Car service here, and it will be hard to find anything safer or roomier than a Town Car, and I don't drive aggressively (no tailgating, nor weaving in and out on the highway) Reasonable rates for the type of car, etc. Good luck with the move!
www.silverstarcar.com

Hi -- we are in the same boat! We have 3 kids ages 5, 9, and 10 and we are moving to BA in August. We have had no luck contacting private schools -- they all seem full or not interested in taking kids mid-year. We definitely want to send the kids to school and we don't care, public or private. We are living in Palermo too. I would love to learn anything you find out!! Thanks.

Micheleandtom.com Their blog talks a lot about living in BA with 2 young kids.
Probably a good info source for you.
Nancy

Hello, I asked today to the Director of Argentinian Spanish - Japanese- English Shool, said that do not have problem in having your kids for months, even if you want to enter official and definitly for long term, you have to do all of paper works.
In any case, today was the last day until winter vacation, because of the Influ A, 2 weeks before as they programed, and will start from Aug, 3rd.

Back