Moving To Ba In July.....looking For Friends And Housing

DawnP

Registered
Hi all.

I am moving to BA in 6 months and am curious about how others made the leap to move to another country. What books, blogs are out there for someone who is about to make a giant leap of faith?

I am 40 and currently work in the Engineering and Environmental Sciences field. I am moving to BA to teach English (in the San Telmo barrio)but would also like to find work in the sewer/water infrastructure area which is what I do here in Portland. Can anyone recommend a website that posts jobs or recommend businesses that I can send my resume to?

Does anyone know or can send me links for a room for rent in the San Telmo barrio or somewhere near there?

I am looking forward to connecting with people in BA ;)

Cheers.
Dawn

Hi all.

I am moving to BA in 6 months and am curious about how others made the leap to move to another country. What books, blogs are out there for someone who is about to make a giant leap of faith?

I am 40 and currently work in the Engineering and Environmental Sciences field. I am moving to BA to teach English (in the San Telmo barrio)but would also like to find work in the sewer/water infrastructure area which is what I do here in Portland. Can anyone recommend a website that posts jobs or recommend businesses that I can send my resume to?

Does anyone know or can send me links for a room for rent in the San Telmo barrio or somewhere near there?

I am looking forward to connecting with people in BA ;)

Cheers,
Dawn

Are you fluent? The buenos aires sewer system is a disaster and is a big political point at the moment. There is probably going to be some serious infrastructure work in the near future and someone who has lots experience in municipal water systems could be in demand. If you're not fluent maybe you could get together with some friends or coworkers and put together a group to bid on upcoming contracts.

I booked an apartment through them and was happy: http://www.casasantelmo.com.ar/

Also there are a lot of hostels in San Telmo that are cheap if you're on a tight budget.

Of all the time I spent in Argentina (BA, Bariloche, Mardel) ~2 years - 3 months in San Telmo - I only had incidents in San Telmo (bird poop scam - twice).

I recommend you read up on the common scams. I did, and because of that, I was prepared and unscathed (other than having to clean my jacket)!

I found two different San Telmo rooms for rent on Craigslist Argentina. Both places were fantastic. My favorite restaurant is called Abuela Pan 707 Bolivar, only open during the day and they deliver. If you don't already dance tango, start taking lessons and you will make lots of friends in Buenos Aires from every country you can imagine.

Back