Moving to BA

squirrel

Registered
Hi, We're thinking about moving to BA and are down here on a fact finding mission. We would appreciate it if any one could direct us to a real estate agent that could help us find a long term (1yr), furnished 2 bedroom apt in the Palermo, Recoleta or Retiro area. Thanks in advance, Squirrel

Hey Squirrel, have you been to Argentina before? Are you only restricted to those areas?

Hi Trennod, Thanks for responding. First time and these are the areas we've been told that are nice to live in. Would you recommend other areas?

not so sure about retiro....can be a bit sketchy.

location really depends what you are looking for. age, lifestyle, kids? want to be in the heart of the action or more peaceful areas?

Yeah Canick makes a good point about what lifestyle you are looking for and also Retiro. Personally I think for the prices you pay in Retiro its not worth it for the fact its so close to Villa 31 (one of the shantytowns). But then, there are posters that live in Retiro and like it.

So what brings you to Buenos Aires? Planning to work or just for a holiday?

We're a family of 4. I would be retiring and looking for opportunities to volunteer. I was a hospital radiology administrator for over 30 years. My wife would also be looking for volunteer opportunities. My daughter, a master prepared school teacher and her middle school daughter would be accompanying us. She would be looking for opportunities to teach. So I guess we would be looking for a family neighbor that's quite and safe.

Plenty of other nice areas. Depends what you are looking for it terms of location, price, etc. Colegiales, Belgrano, Nuñez, Villa Crespo, Almagro and, of course, Puerto Madero are all nice areas.

We're looking to rent a two bedroom for about $4,500 pesos per month and thanks to all that have responded!

I live in Retiro. It's one of the safest places, as far as I'm concerned, around the Micro Centro/Recoleta/Tribunales area.

It depends on where you are looking in Retiro (more about that below). It's no different from Recoleta - the same distance from the Villa (and the beginning of Palermo's on the outskirts damn near), but there is a police station with a good police presence in the area and a lot of political stuff (not so much Argentine, but international). The MercoSur headquarters, the Foreign Relations building (in Palacio San Martin), the French consulate, the site of the Israel consulate that was bombed, etc. A lot of chic art galleries. It's actually quite an affluent area.

There are two parts to the official Retiro neighborhood. Our side is on the other side of Alem from the Retiro train station and the villa. It's bordered by Libertador/Alem, Santa Fe and Peligrini/9 de Julio. On the other side of Alem and the train station is the really, really dodgy part of Retiro, but it's a different world.

There was the French tourist that was killed in broad daylight in Plaza San Martin some months ago. That happened on the Micro Centro side of Plaza San Martin, near Alem, which is getting close to dodginess anyway and is literally one edge of the barrio.

You need to look more at renting here though - it will not be easy for you to find a "1 year contract." There are either temporary or long term contracts. Temporary contract terms are limited by law to 6 months. Doesn't mean someone won't rent a place for a year, but they're not supposed to.

But possibly the biggest hurdle to renting for a year is the temporary market here. Apartments are sometimes booked a year in advance, though they may not be full up. They are almost certain to have some booking, at some point during that year, which makes it difficult to make that kind of deal in advance.

Long term contracts are by law two years and give a LOT of rights to occupants. So much so that the vast majority of owners require some form of guarantee. Most commonly it is the deed to another property in Capital Federal, but sometimes (still difficult to find) people can work out something like paying half the entire lease, or the entire lease, in advance, in addition to security deposit and such.

Living here is not easy. Make sure you get all the facts on your fact-finding tour! :) There's a lot to think about, particularly right now.

Back