Moving To Bsas In June!!!

another PhD pursuer here. Curious about choosing BA to study pastry - nothing I've tried here has been on par with a basic French boulangerie? All very doughy and sweet; not much variety in terms of flavours or textures.

I must be going to the wrong places. Any bakery suggestions?

Hello and welcome! When are you arriving to the city? You could let us try one of your pastry’s maybe you get your clients right here ;)
After I get to BA and when things settle down I shall organize a cake & pastry tasting event :D It might take a loooong time for things to settle down though :D

I'm also in the process of doing a PhD in (political) philosophy... at McGill in Montreal... and I just drag my books around with me. Good luck though! I think you are doing the right thing and wish I had thought of it earlier =)
I was considering applying to McGill, there are some very good scholars working on my topic there. But after months of working on applications for US universities I was just too tired and fed up to produce anything worth submitting. It's a great place for political philosophy from what I know and I suppose it gives you good career prospects. So at least in this respect there's no reason to regret doing the PhD, I think :) Good luck to you too!

I gave up investment banking to move here after spending a month or 2 a year here for 17 years. I've been here for 4 years now and love every moment of it! Also decided that food was my passion and am currently doing a 2 year chef course at the Instituto Argentino de Gastronomia.Very good (and very cheap) in terms of teaching techniques (flavours are another matter). They also run pure pastry making courses which are well respected and would vastly facilitate you getting work here. Give me a shout if you need further info.
WOW! It's encouraging to hear of other people who have done this successfully :)
I want to start a pastry chef course in August and I've been doing a bit of research on different schools. I understood the best are IAG, Mausi Sebess, Gato Dumas and the Bue Trainers. I still haven't decided which one to choose, but I've read in several places that IAG is particularly recommended for pastry. I'll PM you with more specific questions! Thank you and cheers!

G'luck with the move!
I'm also studying towards my PhD (enviro. policy)... the fallback plan might be ski instructing. Let's grab vino or dessert (or both) when you've settled
Where are you doing your PhD? In BsAs? Env Policy is a very exciting discipline, so good luck with that! Wine and dessert sounds nice :)

another PhD pursuer here. Curious about choosing BA to study pastry - nothing I've tried here has been on par with a basic French boulangerie? All very doughy and sweet; not much variety in terms of flavours or textures.

I must be going to the wrong places. Any bakery suggestions?
Deciding to study pastry came after choosing BA :D But from the research I've been doing, BA is a very good place to study pastry and confectionery (and gastronomy in general), comparable in quality with some European schools and much more affordable.
I've been in BA last year for three weeks and I think I was buying cakes/pastries almost every day from different places and I was very happy with all of them. I couldn't recommend any specific place because I wasn't paying attention to names and locations, but I know for sure there are great places.
I'm not in BA yet but I could guide you after I get there if you don't find a satisfying place in the meantime :) But you should ask some veterans around here, I bet they will know where to send you.
Cheers!

Back