Moving To Buenos Aires For Med School

quote name='Hybrid Ambassador' timestamp='1377285180' post='220605'
_She worked for Novartis in Argentina_ Hmmm, as to the reason why your wife can not find an employer there in the US may be due to the firm's reputaion

Please reread what you wrote, think about it for a second, and then determine whether you really believe that is the case. If you really believe what you wrote, I cannot help you. We live in two different worlds.

T
Oh, at first I thought that this:

Was in reference to Hybrid's post, which greatly confused me.

Now I think I understand. :)

Errr..had to do a little edit job there. I was referring to the original article posted. It was very well written in right on point. Hybrid is an idiot. lol

Its like brain drain! study in one country and go and use the knowledge gained in another. hate it.

Attorney and MD's, They offer their services when they sniff the dough, but no dinero, no honey...They love to defend you and treat you measured in amount of dollars available to them.

My wife is Argentine and has an MD in Psychiatry from UBA (check out our wedding picture from the San Nicolas de Bari off of Av. Santa Fe!:). We have since moved back to the US and since her license doesn't transfer, she cannot find a job to save her life. This girl is wicked smart, but due to the fact that her license doesn't transfer from Argentina, she has to resort to finding jobs in other areas (i.e. Pharma, CRA, etc...), however, those people require 2 years of experience in order to be considered so no one wants her. She worked for Novartis in Argentina for a year, but experience in Argentina also does not transfer over to the US. She's been looking for a job for 8 months now to no avail.

So she studied for 12 years, has her MD license in Argentina, however cannot get a job as a CRA because she didn't get the 2 years of US experience as a CRA or in the Pharma industry right out of school. They simply do not want her, which is a shame and is actually causing friction in our marriage.

Anyhow, on to you and your idea of attending UBA. If you plan on staying in Argentina or the EU for the rest of your life, go for it!! However, if you intend on returning back to the states or London, don't waste your time. Please PM with any questions you may have because we are living the nightmare right now and know everything about it..lol Take care and good luck!
I feel for you in a big way. My wife is an AR doctor. She passed the USMLE [US boards] the most dreaded exam on the planet. She passed the boards some years ago just as they threw in the infamous Step 3. Anyway after all of the bullshit and jerking around and doing the residency all over again your wife will not get her specialty license back. She will end up being a GP and she will not like it.. We were lucky. My income did not require that she actually earn any money so we could afford to keep playing the AMAs shitty game until she got what she wanted.
During this long process I met many other bright and talented foreign docs who didn't pass the exam and got to deliver pizzas for a living. Even if they wanted to they could not take lesser positions such as nurse practitioner, the system prevents this. The whole process sucks and you will gain a first hand vision of what a useless retrograde organization the AMA really is. Be supportive, she will need it.

The US accepts credential from Med studies in Canada,( I did not know Canada's med ed so reputable ) but say no to the advanced medicine doctrined recent graduates excelling in GB or Japan,or other locations, so the doctors to be, has to go for 4, 8, 12 years more in the US to be eligible to be accepted there.! What has Canada got to offer US that other advanced countries can not.?

Reciprocity. Nothing more. There are some rigged games and this is one of them and it's also the reason that the US is 250,000 doctors short.

sorry to ask however are you coming to Argentina to study Medicine since you are not qualified to do so in the USA ... where so many programs exist? If you feel Argentina will give you superior programs than the USA .. there must be some sub specialty being offered few others know about too. What might it be? Rascal Hunting perhaps? Seriously, I have no clue why you would risk your future on wasting six years in Argentina for a medical education. Where would you ever hope to practice such skills in the future. I do not wish to say anything negative about the highly qualified medical profession existing in Argentina yet many of them received advanced training in their specialties from the USA. Show us why you wish to spend 6 years studying in Argentina? Make sense of it for us.

Back