Mujeres Con Pelotas The Film

My big problem with futbol is that I don't understand the game, other than in the most general terms. It's hard to get excited when you don't really know WTF is going on. And I'm not much of a sports fan even in the USA.

off to get tickets now

OK, got my ticket for Sunday at 1445, and that was an adventure. I stood in the wrong line for a good 15 minutes, only to discover it was to get into a movie showing now. Then I went to the right where it said BAFICI and waited in that line only to be told you don't buy the tickets there, then I was waved waaaaaayyy off further to the right, off in some dank corner where you buy the tickets. Oh well, it was worth it for the people watching.

And that mall, what a tourist trap! Shops full of grossly overpriced "designer" trash, two McCafe and two McDonalds, (both full of people happily munching food-shaped plastic), and the official money booth was changing/transferring money at 7.8 pesos to the dollar. I've barely been here three weeks and I already know that's a ripoff. Oh yes, and as the crowning insult, a TGI Fridays.

Fuff! I came back to my hotel and found a little shop down the street selling baked empanadas in a jillion different varieties for 6 pesos each. Muy rico!

Thanks Redpossum for fighting to get a ticket! Sorry I didn´t organize the festival, LOL!
See you all tomorrow, enjoy the English subtitles.

Thanks Redpossum for fighting to get a ticket! Sorry I didn´t organize the festival, LOL!
See you all tomorrow, enjoy the English subtitles.

Oh hell, I wasn't blaming you. That was just general purpose kvetching, sorry if it sounded like it was aimed at you :)

no worries, understood that it wasn´t directed at me, but I myself am not happy with the organization of the festival.
See you there!

Well, that was an interesting documentary.

I thought it was well-paced, with a nice mix of talk and action. I like the way you focused mostly on the players themselves, that and the lack of narration gave it a real "direct cinema" feel that I particularly enjoyed.

The camera work was very good overall, which only made the shakycam bit at the very start stand out by comparison. Was that deliberate?

I noted the one comment that women's football would never exhibit the speed of the men's game, but that the technical play is or would be superior. I had to wonder about the speed comment. If you look at the world marathon records, the current records are 2hrs 3m for men and 2hrs 15m for women. If you go back to 1963, 2:15 was the men's record, and the women's record was 2:19. tables here Over a 27 mile course, and 2+ hours, it doesn't seem like that much of a difference. Granted, a football game isn't a marathon, but the endurance required would seem to be at least roughly similar.

It made me cringe to hear the young women talk about the names they had been called. I'll avoid repeating them here to (hopefully) avoid triggering moderation. But that was rude, especially the racial slurs.

If I had any faintest criticism at all, it would just be that the yellow letters with black outlines of the English subtitles were at times difficult to read for lack of contrast. Then again, with the wide variation in backgrounds, perhaps that yellow/black was the best possible overall compromise.

Oh, and when the lights came up, I was a bit disappointed to observe that roughly 85-90% of the audience was female. It would have been nice if more men had showed up to watch it.

Overall, excellent work. Congratulations on a fine film, and an artistic success.

Thanks for the comments! It would be good if more men could see the film, though most of the "enforcers" are mothers. About camera work--filming in the villa on low budget was hard, so we did the best we could. More than deliberate decision it was what was possible (I don´t like shaky camera, but because it is like that for just a few minutes it doesn´t bother me). I actually did 95% of the camera on the doc and in the doc I did now was able to get a good camerawoman to do it, and there is a big difference.
The discrimination the girls face is amazing, and one reason whey most people who live in the Villa don´t leave is because it is dangerous. We went with them to the movies a few times (we actually did a whole video workshop) and police would ALWAYS follow us. They are young girls, and already pegged as criminals. It is very sad.
Yes, there isn´t much of a difference between women and mens times--we actually thought about putting those charts in, but it became a bit too academic. But football isn´t just about strength--Maradona is a small guy, so is Messi, and they both play well.
Glad you liked it!

Yes, I did like it, a lot!

Another question that occurred to me since I wrote that post, why was Monica getting on her players so hard about fighting? If I understood correctly, she told them they wouldn't be allowed to play if there are any more fights like the last one. Don't male football players fight all the time? Again, I don't really know the game well enough to say, perhaps I'm talking out my *** here, but is it really that big a deal? I've been trying to learn more about football, and I was told yesterday that if a player draws a red flag, it's not just that they are thrown out of the game, but also that their team must play with one player less on the field for the rest of the game. So, do male coaches jump all over their players for fighting, for fear of the red flag?

I don't even know enough about the game to say how much the free penalty shot on a yellow flag really means, or how often those result in a point.

Heh, I've got a lot to learn.

But it was interesting to hear the interviewees say that it is the mothers more then the fathers, who do not want their daughters to play football. In California the whole Soccer-Mom-in-a-Minivan thing is so common it's become a cliche.

I guess I had a mistaken idea, because Argentina had its first female President back in the 1970's, when women in the USA couldn't even get the Equal Rights Amendment passed, that society here was more progressive as far as women's rights. Now I've been here a few weeks, I'm starting to think that it's not as simple as more or less, but rather a case of different, with comparisons very hard to make.

Back