My Argentinian wife really dislikes the US. Typical of Argentinians?

If you look at this list Argentina by a long shot hates the USA more than any latin american country . I believe this has to do with our history as Argentina in its days of glory was equal if not superior to the USA for its standard of living for the middle and upple class . To come from such lofty heights and to lose this is a great blow to the ego that Argentinians are famous for and they blame the USA for meddling in its affairs and were complices in the dictatorship of the 1970s.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-countries-that-love-and-hate-america-the-most-2015-6

Perhaps a broad generalization here, but my experience with Argentines is that they hate to see anyone doing better than them. They relish in the failure of the other and have yet to realize that being a "vivo" is the wrong way to get ahead.

The problem with these types of threads is that it is really not valid to make such broad generalizations about people and cultures. My wife is Argentine - we currently live in the US but have property in BA, where some if her family lives. I know both Argentines and Americans (and British) who cut across all of these generalizations. That said, I do think there is a cultural lens that can result in different perspectives. For example, the current (and past) economic crisis in Argentina would scare many of my American friends and family - they have had, relatively speaking, longer periods if economic stability. So when Americans don’t see Argentines completely freaked out by the current crisis as they would be, they tend to generalize that its because Argentines are more grounded in family, and lets concerned about work and economy. But I think its more that Argentines have just learned to deal better (pyschologically that is) with shorter periods of economic stability - and Americans are more frightened by it.

If you look at this list Argentina by a long shot hates the USA more than any latin american country . I believe this has to do with our history as Argentina in its days of glory was equal if not superior to the USA for its standard of living for the middle and upple class . To come from such lofty heights and to lose this is a great blow to the ego that Argentinians are famous for and they blame the USA for meddling in its affairs and were complices in the dictatorship of the 1970s.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-countries-that-love-and-hate-america-the-most-2015-6

Orrrr maybe it has much more to do with the fairly recent US-backed dictatorship? It's not like living Argentines remember when Argentina had a strong economy back in the 1930s, but they do remember when their friends were being disappeared in the name of opening up the economy to US capital. Not only did the US Government support it, but US companies greatly benefitted from collaborating with it - for example, factory owners would report troublesome unionist workers to the dictatorship, who would then politely disappear them, and these companies took full advantage of the repeal of worker's rights at the barrel of a gun to make a quick buck.

Their economy has also been ravaged 3 times by the 'International" but actually American IMF, one of which was directly after said dictatorship.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I have often thought that the "countries" (gated communities) around the city are replicas of upper middle class US suburbs: nice or even extravagant free standing homes, clean and safe streets but unlike the US in Argentina there is a huge network of private security to keep out intruders. The police can't be trusted to do it, so people have to pay privately. In addition to their artificial gated neighborhoods, private schools have sprung up to serve the residents who can't use the state schools, quite unlike the US where public schools in affluent areas are usually good or even competitive with good private schools. I also fail to see where there is any moral superiority among Argentines for supposedly being less materialistic. I see materialism all over the place along with a strong focus on outward appearances (clothes, brands, etc) that is less true in the US (in fact I wish US citizens took a little more interest in how they dressed!). I quite agree that Americans work too much and do NOT have enough vacation time. They have a hard time relaxing which is why you don't see cafes all over the place in US cities as in Argentina. Americans get nervous sitting around chatting for an hour or two. It's a pity but that may also be what built a strong economy over the years. I also agree that the family has greatly deteriorated in the US but this is a social phenomenon all over the world, just more pronounced in some places. Argentina also has a high divorce rate and, as has been discussed here before, there is an extremely high abortion rate. Abortion has to be considered just one more sign of the decay of the family. In the end I find that what matters is not a kiss on the cheek but whether you can rely on someone when you need that help. My closest friend is Argentine, someone in whom I have total confidence. I have other Argentine friends whom I can rely on. It's not about hugs and kisses but about sincere human relationships. There are Americans who are just as reliable. I know some. The relationships we form depend on ourselves, not the nationality or even the culture of the person. I know people from many different countries but despite cultural differences, I can distinguish between those of good character and those less so. It annoys me to hear Argentines who have never even been to the US make judgments but they often persist in doing so. In another post on this site I talked about the friend in Ohio who invited her Argentine woman friend and husband to visit. The husband is an academic and virulently anti American. When they got to Ohio they were overwhelmed by the kindness of the neighbors. They got invitations to dinner, to barbecues, to the swim club etc. The husband didn't know how to react because it destroyed his negative image of the "cold" Americans. I'd also add that I find a lot of Americans generous with their money, not only with charity which is widespread in the US but with friends. I know that Argentines have much less money to give and there is mistrust in charitable organizations because or corruption but what has created the corruption? Why is there more transparency in the US?

Sergio, As you say so well, I think so much of it is come down to the individual person, not the country, culture or race/ethnic group that person is from. I think that Portenos are rude in general (they almost never say thank you after you let them pass first on the a sidewalk where construction is being done; parents block the entire sidewalk, waiting to pick up their children at school; cars cut you off when you are crossing the street legally, etc.), but my porteno friends are not like that, they are some of the nicest, politest, most helpful people I have ever met. And, you know, maybe most

Argentines were never taught to say thank you on the street, or most Argentines do not think it is rude to block the entire sidewalk when you are waiting for your children. They also don't seem to mind when taxis cut them off in a crosswalk. Sometimes when we let someone pass on the sidewalk and he/she doesn't say anything, my wife will say "you're welcome" or "de nada." Sometimes they look totally confused by what she's said. That is the problem with negative stereotypes, not only do they overgeneralize, but the perspective behind them is also culturally bound. What I mean by that is that different people may have different perspectives on whether those behaviors are rude, based on their cultural values.

Concerning materialism, as you say and others have said, the whole world has become more materialistic, or the part of it whose incomes have increased significantly over the last few decades. I think of all the McMansions in the States, and I am not talking about even large, upper middle class houses, but houses that are enormous and are built only to impress. And yet, most Americans do not live in those houses; it's a very small percentage of folks. But we do seem to spend some much of our time shopping and we are so commerce focused- in the sense of spending hours trying to get the best deal, so that we will have more to spend on more things later?

I think it's nice that lots of stores are closed on Sunday here, the way it used to be in the States, but when you go to the malls here on Sundays, they are packed with Argentines. And all those Argentines going to Miami in part to buy things. They could buy those things (clothes, electronics, etc.) in Argentina, but they wouldn't be able to buy as much, or as many, or the lastest and the greatest. And they are not just buying necessities; they want more and more stuff, just like the rest of the world. And some of us may not buy lots of things, but we love to accumulate experiences, like travel. I don't see a real difference there.

And you say, but travel is educational. Yes, but most of already have lots of education, but we want more experiences, just like some people want more clothes, electronics, a bigger house, etc. It's all the same. Maybe Argentines see Americans as materialistic because they see us with more stuff we don't really need. For them the more stuff you have, the more materialistic you are, regardless, even though you may not be spending a large percentage of your income on that stuff than they are on their stuff.

Orrrr maybe it has much more to do with the fairly recent US-backed dictatorship? It's not like living Argentines remember when Argentina had a strong economy back in the 1930s, but they do remember when their friends were being disappeared in the name of opening up the economy to US capital. Not only did the US Government support it, but US companies greatly benefitted from collaborating with it - for example, factory owners would report troublesome unionist workers to the dictatorship, who would then politely disappear them, and these companies took full advantage of the repeal of worker's rights at the barrel of a gun to make a quick buck.

Their economy has also been ravaged 3 times by the 'International" but actually American IMF, one of which was directly after said dictatorship.

The Argentine economy has been ravaged by corrupt and inefficient leaders, many of them populist leaders, voted into power by the Argentine people. The IMF came later, to try to clean up the mess, even though the IMF did not always help. Don't get the cart before the horse. To blame the IMF for all of Argentina's problems is absurd.

I personally have met a group of "refugiados" in the city where I live in the US who escaped Argentina during the last dictatorship and received aid to establish themselves there. Most want nothing to do with Argentina now and only travel there begrudgingly and are thankful to be alive in part due to the US government's help. I'm not saying that the US didn't meddle in Argentina, but the group I know holds no animosity toward the US.
Argentina would have likely done what it did without outside influences and they realize that.

Not only did the US Government support it, but US companies greatly benefitted from collaborating with it - for example, factory owners would report troublesome unionist workers to the dictatorship, who would then politely disappear them, and these companies took full advantage of the repeal of worker's rights at the barrel of a gun to make a quick buck.

And Argentine factory owners didn't do the same thing?

My Argentine friends (and they span the entire political spectrum from Macristas to Kirchneristas to Cuba-loving leftists) have never mentioned the role of US in the last military dictatorship, and these folks have no problem whatsoever criticizing the US in my presence. I am not denying the truth of what you are saying but you greatly over exaggerate the US's role in that.

I'd love to hear your other explanations, because it's not like anyone is really "jealous" of the US. There's dozens of countries that are better off than the US in practically every area relevant to standard of living, but it's not like Argentines hate Australians, or Japanese, or Koreans, or Norwegians, or even feel an ounce of animosity towards them at all. It's clear that the dislike is influenced by the US' status as the continental/global hegemon which has directly influenced its affairs in recent history.

Or maybe it's also partly due to the famed arrogance of Americans: for example, if you tell them that their country is actually only 25th on inequality-adjusted standard of living worldwide, I bet most would have had no idea, and many would flat out try to deny it, because it challenges their belief in US exceptionalism.

Much like Argentina, the US is not quite what it used to be back in the 1930s.

Back