My Argentinian wife really dislikes the US. Typical of Argentinians?

I'd love to hear your other explanations, because it's not like anyone is really "jealous" of the US. There's dozens of countries that are better off than the US in practically every area relevant to standard of living, but it's not like Argentines hate Australians, or Japanese, or Koreans, or Norwegians, or even feel an ounce of animosity towards them at all. It's clear that the dislike is influenced by the US' status as the continental/global hegemon which has directly influenced its affairs in recent history.

Or maybe it's also partly due to the famed arrogance of Americans: for example, if you tell them that their country is actually only 25th on inequality-adjusted standard of living worldwide, I bet most would have had no idea, and many would flat out try to deny it, because it challenges their belief in US exceptionalism.

Much like Argentina, the US is not quite what it used to be back in the 1930s.

Some of it may be because of arrogance on the part of Americans, but I think you are more on track when you say that it's because of our intervention in many different events, conflicts around the world. I am thinking of the CIA's involvement in the coup to overthrow Allende in '73, our involvement in Vietnam, the entire cold war (of which Vietnam was a part, of course), etc. I don't, though, think most Argentines see the US as responsible for the last military dictatorship here. Also, this are many leftist here that don't like capitalism, and the US is probably what they most associate with that. Some of it may be just good, old fashioned jealousy; nobody like the top dog, and many see the US as the top dog in terms of the power we wield around the world.

Last edited:
I lived in the US twice, having the possibility to stay legally (my step mother is a native US citizen, my fiance was American), but I decided to come back.
I feel like the slavery culture is too strong there and even they do not realize it, this produce rejection to argentines which Preamble of the Bill of Rights stablishes that the benefit from freedom are for us, for our children and for all the men of the world who desire to live here, even if this is not working properly in reality, common argentines does not realize it.
Argentine perception of the Us is that they have an enslave culture.

Last edited:
I lived in the US twice, having the possibility to stay legally (my step mother is a native US citizen, my fiance was American), but I decided to come back.
I feel like the slavery culture is too strong there and even they do not realize it, this produce rejection to argentines which Preamble of the Bill of Rights stablishes that the benefit from freedom are for us, for our children and for all the men of the world who desire to live here, even if this is not working properly in reality, common argentines does not realize it.I
Argentine perception of the Us is that they have an enslave culture.

I feel this way about Australia a country that I was born in . Of all the countries I have found it a very hipocritical society ( the lucky country they call it) but in reallity its a country that enslaves its people with gambling and drugs . In NSW 20% of the worlds poker machines are there on every corner to entice and addict people and they call this a democracy . Drugs are worse in Australia than Argentina with statistics showing that amphetamine usage is the highest in the world . Sydney people who are not very rich work tremendously long hours and weekends are not even sacred . Argentina when I first visited in 2004 was a much better society than today . I vastly preferred Argentina to Australia .
People in 2004 were more cultured, worked less hours, and human relationships were stronger .
In 2004 I remember the passion of couples on the streets and parks. I felt this was a very romantic city ! Nowadays I see a fragmented society with little romance and stressed robotic people

I feel this way about Australia a country that I was born in . Of all the countries I have found it a very hipocritical society ( the lucky country they call it) but in reallity its a country that enslaves its people with gambling and drugs . In NSW 20% of the worlds poker machines are there on every corner to entice and addict people and they call this a democracy . Drugs are worse in Australia than Argentina with statistics showing that amphetamine usage is the highest in the world . Sydney people who are not very rich work tremendously long hours and weekends are not even sacred .

Argentina when I first visited in 2004 was a much better society than today . I vastly preferred it to Australia . People were more cultured, worked less hours, and human relationships were stronger . Nowadays I see a fragmented society with little romance and stressed people . In 2004 I remember the passion of couples on the streets and parks. I felt this was a very romantic city ! Nowadays Buenos Aires is much more sterile and people are more robotic .

I'm from the US and I agree that Americans can be annoyingly arrogant and nationalistic.

But after over 12 years of living on and off in Buenos Aires and being married to an Argentine... I can say the same for too many porteños.

I'd agree the anti-US sentiment in Argentina is part politics. But I'd argue ego plays a bigger role.

I don't think it's "jealousy" per say. I'd say it's more a sense of superiority — which both Argentines and Americans share.

"Somos los mejores del mundo. Estos yanquis/bolivianos/chilenos/gallegos no saben nada."

I recently read a great joke about people of England and France, and if we substitute those countries with USA and Argentina, the implication is similar:

De Gaulle said: English people only care about money, while we the French, care about dignity and morality. To which Churchill replied: all people care about what they lack!!!!

In my opinion, Argentine's are "fachas". They love to show off. Unfortunately, they cannot be more materialistic, not because of lack of desire, but because of lack of opportunity.

I'm from the US and I agree that Americans can be annoyingly arrogant and nationalistic.

But after over 12 years of living on and off in Buenos Aires and being married to an Argentine... I can say the same for too many porteños.

I'd agree the anti-US sentiment in Argentina is part politics. But I'd argue ego plays a bigger role.

I don't think it's "jealousy" per say. I'd say it's more a sense of superiority — which both Argentines and Americans share.

"Somos los mejores del mundo. Estos yanquis/bolivianos/chilenos/gallegos no saben nada."
I am under the impression that this sense of superiority died around 2001.

I am under the impression that this sense of superiority died around 2001.

Unfotunately, Silvie, that sense of superiority is alive and kicking. I was subjected to this attitude just six weeks or so ago at a birthday party, with two young women (both in their late 20s) vociferously telling me just how bad is US society/culture in comparison with Argentine society/culture.

Unfotunately, Silvie, that sense of superiority is alive and kicking. I was subjected to this attitude just six weeks or so ago at a birthday party, with two young women (both in their late 20s) vociferously telling me just how bad is US society/culture in comparison with Argentine society/culture.

Joe, just mark that up to two pelotudas talking, not because they are Argentines or because they are criticizing the US, but because they are young and think they know it all. A teacher at my school had a bumper sticker on his classroom door that said "Hire a teenager while he still knows everything." Have truer words ever been spoken. Those girls are not teenagers and should know better, but they are probably still teenagers in their maturity level. That kind of thing does piss one off, though, because it's just inappropriate for the context and the sense of superiority that's lies behind it. There are many legitimate criticisms of the US and ways in which Argentina is superior to the US, but their intent was not to inform, but to try to be arrogant and superior. You should have finished your conversation with them with the question, "Nacieron pelotudas o las educaron así?"

Last edited:

And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that neither had ever visited the US.

Back