My Argentinian wife really dislikes the US. Typical of Argentinians?

I don't think it's "jealousy" per say. I'd say it's more a sense of superiority — which both Argentines and Americans share.

"Somos los mejores del mundo. Estos yanquis/bolivianos/chilenos/gallegos no saben nada."

Bingo!

Could it be that Argentines are concerned about the IMF currently, which they associate with the US ? I also wonder whether the general dislike of President Trump is a factor (though I don`t know of Trump insulting Argentines yet) ?
lol..."the general dislike"....unless you are a general with an opinion unlike most Americans, you'll find Trump in the White House until noon, Jan 20, 2025.

Joe, just mark that up to two pelotudas talking, not because they are Argentines or because they are criticizing the US, but because they are young and think they know it all. A teacher at my school had a bumper sticker on his classroom door that said "Hire a teenager while he still knows everything." Have truer words ever been spoken. Those girls are not teenagers and should know better, but they are probably still teenagers in their maturity level. That kind of thing does piss one off, though, because it's just inappropriate for the context and the sense of superiority that's lies behind it. There are many legitimate criticisms of the US and ways in which Argentina is superior to the US, but their intent was not to inform, but to try to be arrogant and superior. You should have finished your conversation with them with the question, "Nacieron pelotudas o las educaron así?"

Stantucker, I just laughed at them and pointed out that what they were saying about the US sounded a lot like Argentina, in its own special way, if you know what I mean. When I gave them particular details, neither could defend the facts. Immediately they turned the conversation in a different direction and gradually drifted off to another part of the room..

And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that neither had ever visited the US.

Visiting the US and seeing people dying of pain in the streets without access to basic healthcare while the rich partied a block away certainly didn't do it any favours for me.

Visiting the US and seeing people dying of pain in the streets without access to basic healthcare while the rich partied a block away certainly didn't do it any favours for me.

And this does not happen in your beloved Venezuela where people live on Us 30 dollars a month and there is no health care at all. At least in the USA people do not die of hunger like they have done in your communistics paradises of Venezuela. Cambodia under Pol Pot and Ukraine under communism

Hospitals in the US cannot turn away people from the ER (Guardia). They will be treated and if they are indigent the hospital absorbs the loss. This in turn pushes health insurance rates up.

What are you talking about, people dying of pain in the streets? There are public, completely free hospitals in American cities. There are also free public clinics. Private hospitals cannot turn away injured or dying people. The US may not have the best health insurance but there are options for poor, uninsured folks. You greatly overexaggerate to try to prove your point.

Unfotunately, Silvie, that sense of superiority is alive and kicking. I was subjected to this attitude just six weeks or so ago at a birthday party, with two young women (both in their late 20s) vociferously telling me just how bad is US society/culture in comparison with Argentine society/culture.

What do they know when they are 20? Don't even bother paying attention to them.

Back