My Argentinian wife really dislikes the US. Typical of Argentinians?

Visiting the US and seeing people dying of pain in the streets without access to basic healthcare while the rich partied a block away certainly didn't do it any favours for me.

I think this guy just makes dramatic posts to get a rise out of people.

But I'll play along.

Because he got the facts wrong. And as a capitalist pig from the United States — I'm quite offended.

Very few people in the US are "dying of pain in the streets without access to basic healthcare while the rich party a block away."

First off, the rich usually try to isolate themselves from poor people. If anything, they were partying AT LEAST a mile away — not a block away. It's hard to juggle a bottle of Cristal and a Russian supermodel on each arm while ALSO trying to avoid tripping over a homeless person as you enter your stretch limo.

Second, it's pretty rare for anyone in the US not to have access to basic healthcare. Most hospitals will treat you even if you don't have insurance (or have really bad insurance). They'll fix you right up, good as new, and then send you the $100,000+ bill in the mail. Your life may suck afterwards. You may have to eat ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Perhaps even declare bankruptcy. Heck, you may WISH you were "dying of pain in the streets." But for better or worse you'll probably still be alive.

Did someone from the US screw you over at some point in your life? You seem to have a real bone to pick.

Visiting the US and seeing people dying of pain in the streets without access to basic healthcare while the rich partied a block away certainly didn't do it any favours for me.

But if you are talking about homeless people who are slowly dying, there are shelters for those people, but some refuse to go to the shelters, and they can't be forced.

Right...as opposed to the people living (or dying) on the streets in BsAs who have free health care for life.

It's pretty shameful that people rush to defend even US healthcare, which turns the most basic of human needs into the pure pursuit of profit. You really couldn't display the reason you're so disliked the world over any better than your denial of even the most basic and well known facts about your country.

Let's get some facts straight:
- Nobody here rushed to "defend even US healthcare" blindly, nor did anyone give an excuse about the cost of health care in the US.
- People simply pointed out the facts that were untrue.

Leave your own emotions behind, read the comments carefully one more time and you will perhaps learn something about the access to the basic health care in the US. I know that learning something new can be painful because it challenges your current knowledge, but, it is good for you in a long run. This way you would eventually give up the need of going around propagating myths in order to feel better about yourself.

It's pretty shameful that people rush to defend even US healthcare, which turns the most basic of human needs into the pure pursuit of profit. You really couldn't display the reason you're so disliked the world over any better than your denial of even the most basic and well known facts about your country.

View attachment 5259

Since you hate the west and capitalism so much why do you not move to Venezuela or Cuba? There you could live a glorious life on US 20 dollars a month and if you are hungry you can rummage through a garbage can to get more calories. For medical care most medicines are not available in Venezuela and you will have to accept this due to being such a repressed country even though the worlds most abundant oil supplies are present there also paid in your hated us dollars

My wife dislikes being away from her family and friends (not much I can do about that). But she also complains about US society being overly materialistic, obsessed with work (and working long hours) and generally being cooler and less family-focused. When I travel to Argentina, I often here the same criticisms from family and friends, and they are not shy in the slightest about critiquing my country. Just curious if anyone else has a similar experience, and if it is a common view among Argentinians.
My wife dislikes being away from her family and friends (not much I can do about that). But she also complains about US society being overly materialistic, obsessed with work (and working long hours) and generally being cooler and less family-focused. When I travel to Argentina, I often here the same criticisms from family and friends, and they are not shy in the slightest about critiquing my country. Just curious if anyone else has a similar experience, and if it is a common view among Argentinians.
Sociologists have long written about these traits and values in US culture. And they have been concerned about the corrosive anti-social outcomes that they predict will result. For example Phillip Slater's classic "the pursuit of loneliness" paints a bleak picture of the disconnectedness of life in the US. my view is that the culture self-selects behaviors that express selfish acts over social acts, and so rewards individuals who perform selfishly.

lol..."the general dislike"....unless you are a general with an opinion unlike most Americans, you'll find Trump in the White House until noon, Jan 20, 2025.
Lol. I am referring to the general dislike of Trump by people who are not from the US.

Back