My Argentinian wife really dislikes the US. Typical of Argentinians?

Lol. I am referring to the general dislike of Trump by people who are not from the US.
I find literally all the people I've come in contact with here in Argentina either have no opinion of Trump or a favorable opinion of him. I do, however, appreciate your clarifying that comment!

I think this guy just makes dramatic posts to get a rise out of people.

But I'll play along.

Because he got the facts wrong. And as a capitalist pig from the United States — I'm quite offended.

Very few people in the US are "dying of pain in the streets without access to basic healthcare while the rich party a block away."

First off, the rich usually try to isolate themselves from poor people. If anything, they were partying AT LEAST a mile away — not a block away. It's hard to juggle a bottle of Cristal and a Russian supermodel on each arm while ALSO trying to avoid tripping over a homeless person as you enter your stretch limo.

Second, it's pretty rare for anyone in the US not to have access to basic healthcare. Most hospitals will treat you even if you don't have insurance (or have really bad insurance). They'll fix you right up, good as new, and then send you the $100,000+ bill in the mail. Your life may suck afterwards. You may have to eat ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Perhaps even declare bankruptcy. Heck, you may WISH you were "dying of pain in the streets." But for better or worse you'll probably still be alive.

Did someone from the US screw you over at some point in your life? You seem to have a real bone to pick.
Interesting argument. It seems to perfectly show how a statement that sounds true can be false, and seems tobrebut a true statement that sounds false.
I think this guy just makes dramatic posts to get a rise out of people.

But I'll play along.

Because he got the facts wrong. And as a capitalist pig from the United States — I'm quite offended.

Very few people in the US are "dying of pain in the streets without access to basic healthcare while the rich party a block away."

First off, the rich usually try to isolate themselves from poor people. If anything, they were partying AT LEAST a mile away — not a block away. It's hard to juggle a bottle of Cristal and a Russian supermodel on each arm while ALSO trying to avoid tripping over a homeless person as you enter your stretch limo.

Second, it's pretty rare for anyone in the US not to have access to basic healthcare. Most hospitals will treat you even if you don't have insurance (or have really bad insurance). They'll fix you right up, good as new, and then send you the $100,000+ bill in the mail. Your life may suck afterwards. You may have to eat ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Perhaps even declare bankruptcy. Heck, you may WISH you were "dying of pain in the streets." But for better or worse you'll probably still be alive.

Did someone from the US screw you over at some point in your life? You seem to have a real bone to pick.
The fact is that the homeless typically live in camps under overpasses in city centers, which have been gentrified. Every loft and studio apartment that rents for 5k in SF SOMA is 1 to 4 blocks from those living on the street under the Bayshore freeway. Mr Facebook' oft is a block and a half. The hospitals - UCSF and Keiser - they in theory can get to are miles away up on the hill tops in SF. There is no way the average homeless person can get to emergency room without their tent or cardboard being taken, assuming they can walk the miles there.
But your argument cleverly missed the point - it was not a literal point about the numbers dying without healthcare. It was figurative: and simply claimed that healthcare in the USA is without humanity, immoral, by comparison with almost every other country. Are you in denial perhaps.

Still your argument was clever, it states a single true fact - anyone can get care in an emergency room - and attaches a series of false foksy claims to it. I've read somewhere about places that have Masters programs in writing this kind of PR.
Nicely done.

It seems to me that MatameBA was actually being ironically critical of US healthcare, saying that you can easily fall through the cracks and end up with some huge bill. Sometimes I think that is more true for those you have insurance but are underinsured than those who have no insurance at all.

I admire your concern for the homeless but lots of those folks on the streets are addicts who have been in and out of both tax and privately-funded rehab, and they want to be on the streets. So it's not as if there is no help for those folks, that they are completely forgotten. In the States I met a guy who was an addict and living on the streets. He said that he wanted to go to rehab and get off the streets, and asked me to call a free rehab center for him. I did and the woman I spoke to almost scolded me for calling, saying until the addict takes the initiative to get clean, nothing will happen, no matter how many free and good programs there are and no matter how many people try to help them.

It seems to me that MatameBA was actually being ironically critical of US healthcare, saying that you can easily fall through the cracks and end up with some huge bill. Sometimes I think that is more true for those you have insurance but are underinsured than those who have no insurance at all.

Indeed I was.

Personally, I think the US healthcare system is a disaster. But that's besides the point. It's simply my opinion that rhetoric like "people dying of pain in the streets" is unnecessary and ineffective at changing anyone's mind. It doesn't matter if it's meant literally or not. Nobody takes a drama queen seriously.

The fact is that the homeless typically live in camps under overpasses in city centers, which have been gentrified. Every loft and studio apartment that rents for 5k in SF SOMA is 1 to 4 blocks from those living on the street under the Bayshore freeway. Mr Facebook' oft is a block and a half. The hospitals - UCSF and Keiser - they in theory can get to are miles away up on the hill tops in SF. There is no way the average homeless person can get to emergency room without their tent or cardboard being taken, assuming they can walk the miles there.

Is SF really a good representation of most US cities? SF is pretty different culturally and much more gentrified. I'd say SF is an outlier when it comes to the number of homeless people you see living in or near wealthy areas. You'll spot homeless in the downtown area of most major cities... but I've never seen anything quite like the sheer numbers of homeless in SF. Of course, I could be wrong. I haven't been to every US city.

I've read somewhere about places that have Masters programs in writing this kind of PR. Nicely done.

Appreciate it! I don't have a Masters degree in PR... so I must be a natural. :)

I find literally all the people I've come in contact with here in Argentina either have no opinion of Trump or a favorable opinion of him. I do, however, appreciate your clarifying that comment!
I am a local and can assure you that if they have no opinion on him is just because they don't have a clue.

I am a local and can assure you that if they have no opinion on him is just because they don't have a clue.
That is such a contrast from cerca 2003 when locals would tell me voluntarily they thought W. Bush was a dangerous, war mongerer and perhaps insane.

I talk to people every day in BsAs who ask me the equivalent of "what the fuck?" about Trump- and I am talking everybody from teenagers to nonagerians, from the lowest class to the highest. If you only find Argentines who like Trump, you sure live in a different city than I do. And I have probably had 2 dozen people in the last week who are fearful of the upcoming election results in Brazil, too.

I talk to people every day in BsAs who ask me the equivalent of "what the fuck?" about Trump- and I am talking everybody from teenagers to nonagerians, from the lowest class to the highest. If you only find Argentines who like Trump, you sure live in a different city than I do. And I have probably had 2 dozen people in the last week who are fearful of the upcoming election results in Brazil, too.
You need to get out more....watching TV all day can distort the happenings in the real world. I find literally all the Argentines I come in contact with are concerned with their personal safety and the economy here. Only busybodies who love to flap their gums (like those that watch the putas on the local gossip shows) generally venture a not-too-intelligent opinion of politics in the USA and/or the world.

You need to get out more....watching TV all day can distort the happenings in the real world. I find literally all the Argentines I come in contact with are concerned with their personal safety and the economy here. Only busybodies who love to flap their gums (like those that watch the putas on the local gossip shows) generally venture a not-too-intelligent opinion of politics in the USA and/or the world.

I agree with you on this one many Argentinians support Trump especially in wealthy neighbourhoods.

Wealthy people in Argentina are very cliché driven.

If most people in their circle do it/like it, they follow along, often times without even knowing why.

I asked a friend of mine who is the VP of a major bank here about Trump and he responded something along the lines of ‘well, financially and economically we are supposed to like him, but his ways leave much to be desired, but he’s a business man.....’. And so on and so forth.

This is same argument some wealthy folks still give for defending Macri. Of course, Macri and Trump are friends so that adds even more to their defense.

Back