My experience extending tourist visitor visa - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

just overstay, and pay the fine when you leave. don't border hop, you are asking for problems doing that.

just overstay, and pay the fine when you leave. don't border hop, you are asking for problems doing that.
Hey thank you for your response! My plan is to stay another 6 months, what does that mean if I wanted to take a trip to a different country and come back? Is that just something you have to avoid once you overstay? For example I definitely wanted to take a trip to Brazil at some point, but if I can't re-enter upon return because I've overstayed it's an issue.

That's a question I've been wondering too. Everybody says that overstays are okay & legal, but is the assumption that overstays are best for people who:

1. You'll be here for a long time (eg. 6 months longer or a year)
2. Or, you want to overstay for 2-3 years until you become a citizen
3. If you leave, you don't plan on coming back anytime soon (eg. exiting the country for at least 3 months.)

Would an overstay adversely affect somebody's application for a temporary residence visa or other type of legit visa? Does it adversely affect future tourist visas?

In my case, I am in the process for applying for a Financier's visa (gathering paperwork) but my tourist visa will end before all the paperwork is ready (specifically the background check). So, the decision for me is whether to overstay and hope the Financier's visa works or to leave the country and wait for approval / denial

Hey thank you for your response! My plan is to stay another 6 months, what does that mean if I wanted to take a trip to a different country and come back? Is that just something you have to avoid once you overstay? For example I definitely wanted to take a trip to Brazil at some point, but if I can't re-enter upon return because I've overstayed it's an issue.
there is no such thing as a free lunch...

if you are just wanting to stay here in the country then overstaying makes sense and i understand is essentially legal to do. if you left for brazil after being "overdue" then you would pay the fine to go to brazil, and trying to come back might be a problem unless you were gone say, a month (wild guess of time frame).

if you want to be down here long term and travel the world then you ought to look at permanent solutions.

My experience with overstay: I went to the immigration at the airport. The fee was 12500 pesos regardless of the duration. Paid the fee at the bank and went back to the immigration and got the printout. Checked in and went to the customs. The lady was a little confused and asking questions about the overstay and wondered if I had Argentinian passport. She got up to go ask someone but I handed her the printout I got from the immigration office. She was happy to see it. I guess the lesson is I should have given it to her together with the passport and not wait for her to ask. Lesson learned. She was very nice though. So overall it all went smoothly.

My experience with overstay: I went to the immigration at the airport. The fee was 12500 pesos regardless of the duration. Paid the fee at the bank and went back to the immigration and got the printout. Checked in and went to the customs. The lady was a little confused and asking questions about the overstay and wondered if I had Argentinian passport. She got up to go ask someone but I handed her the printout I got from the immigration office. She was happy to see it. I guess the lesson is I should have given it to her together with the passport and not wait for her to ask. Lesson learned. She was very nice though. So overall it all went smoothly.

Thanks for the information!

Was there any difficulty with immigration to pay the overstay? Also why did you not just pay in cash?

No difficulty at all at the immigration office at the airport. I paid in cash at the bank. Immigration first gives you the paper to take to the bank. Then you return to the immigration with the receipt to get another printout. Then you need to show that paper at the check-in and then at the customs you need to present the paper with your passport.

No difficulty at all at the immigration office at the airport. I paid in cash at the bank. Immigration first gives you the paper to take to the bank. Then you return to the immigration with the receipt to get another printout. Then you need to show that paper at the check-in and then at the customs you need to present the paper with your passport.

Wonder why they can't do the transaction at the immigration office. Or is the bank also at the airport?

Does the paper give you 10 days to exit Arg? I would most likely do this in the future but not on the same day.

Wonder why they can't do the transaction at the immigration office. Or is the bank also at the airport?

Does the paper give you 10 days to exit Arg? I would most likely do this in the future but not on the same day.
Yes the bank is at the airport and both the bank and the immigration office are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week at Ezeiza. There were no lines.

Just an update on this for anyone who is planning to do this. It is still largely the same as mentioned in the original post.

I went this morning (Thursday December 22) - arrived around 8am. Took the commuter train from the Mitre Station in Palermo to Retiro - quicker and cheaper than Subte if you are close to the station.

Two lines out front. I went to the "Citas Turnos" line which was the one on the right. I did not have to say anything to get in when I walked to the front, but the person at gate was checking many who did. Once inside, you walk through one of two security portals to another line. In this one, the person at the front asked what I was there for. I showed my US passport and said "prorroga". He asked if I had the 4000 pesos in cash and checked the date of expiration on my visa (must be within 10 days of the end date) before letting me through.

At the next window on the right, they did some initial processing for my extension and gave me a ticket for the booth section on the other side of the room that does the actual extensions. I waited at a seat before someone came to get me.

At the booth, I completed a form with my passport info and my residential address in Argentina. The person asked for my profession, my home city, and my marital status. She took my photo and also my fingerprints for both hands. I signed a number of forms. I was given a form to take to the Caja window in the next room/building to pay the 4000 pesos. I returned with the receipt. After some more processing including scanning every page of my passport with any information, I was given the receipt back, my passport back (nothing was stamped inside), and given a piece of paper with instruction on getting the "Prorroga Turista" online at their website.

The whole process took less than an hour at that time of the day.

Back