My experience extending tourist visitor visa - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

gomisha

Registered
I wanted to let people know how I recently (yesterday) extended my tourist visitor visa so others can benefit and have more information about the process.

I went to this office at around 9 am yesterday (Friday Feb 25):
Dirección Nacional De Migraciones
Av. Antártida Argentina 1355, C1104 CABA

I tried to go to another immigration office closer to my place but it was closed / not available for doing this extension, so not all immigration offices provide this service.

Once there, it's a bit of a mess to get in, as there is a security gate before you can even come into the building and there are a lot of people waiting outside in 2 general lines (but very unorganized with people everywhere). Go the Turnos line which is for people with appointments but since you won't have one, show the guard at the front of the line your passport stamp when you entered the country to prove you're within 10 days of expiration and say you need a "prorroga de permenencia".

You will need to go there within 10 days of your visitor visa expiring otherwise the guard won't let you in.

The guy will let you into the main building entrance which will have another line. You will need to wait at least two more times for different agents to process your extension. The whole process took about 2 hours and cost 4000 ARS (I paid in cash). You will need to provide your 1) passport 2) email 3) current address.

They will stamp your passport with the 90 day extension.

Thanks, very helpful.

I may need to ask for the extension in a few months. I appreciate the post, and good to hear you got the prorroga de permenencia with no problems.

I wanted to let people know how I recently (yesterday) extended my tourist visitor visa so others can benefit and have more information about the process.

They will stamp your passport with the 90 day extension.
Could you please confirm that the stamp in your passport actually has "90" days in it.

Another member recently received the prorroga de permanencia and reported that the stamp indicated that the extension was for "three months."

Three months can often be more than 90 days, so it makes a difference when calculating a departure date in order to avoid an overstay,

Just a note, when we extended my parents visa they didn’t get a stamp they just got a paper to show when they departed. This was in Bariloche.

Could you please confirm that the stamp in your passport actually has "90" days in it.

Another member recently received the prorroga de permanencia and reported that the stamp indicated that the extension was for "three months."

Three months can often be more than 90 days, so it makes a difference when calculating a departure date in order to avoid an overstay,
The passport stamp for the extension has an end date of June 2, 2022. I got the passport stamped (for the prorroga) on Feb 25, 2022. That's 98 days later which is 3.22 months. I originally came into the country on Dec 4, 2021 so from the original entry date it's 181 days to June 2, 2022.

Last edited:
I extended my toursit visa one time many years ago while in Mendoza. It was simple enough, though they were clear to explain it is only a one time thing. Not something you can do every 90 days.

My 90 days expires tomorrow. Am I able to go to migraciones tomorrow and extend or is that too late?

My 90 days expires tomorrow. Am I able to go to migraciones tomorrow and extend or is that too late?
If tomorrow is actually the 90th day (incudling the day you entered) and your tourist permit is good for excatly ninety days (as opposed to "three months"), you will be able to extend by paying the current fee ($4500?).

If tomorrow is the 91st day, you should be able to get the extension by paying 50% more, and you will have 30 more days to do so.

PS: Others will tell you to overstay and pay the overstay fine when you leave.

I had one extension just before my first and only 90 day visa expired and I never had an overstay, so I won't be one of them. 🤠

Back