My favourite Music of my youth

Bob I remember the Bump like yesterday and it was a huge hit in the young Greek cypriot community . I remember one of my aunts forgiving here daughter from doing the Bump as it was immoral :D

The hustle was also popular before the Bump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFz2WkVAk38

I was about 8 when I heard grunge but I didn't get it. I got the Pixies and the Breeders were what got me into music. I spent my early teenaged years listening to them then graduated to Joy Division, The Names, Sad Lovers and Giants, Comsat Angels etc.

Harleygirl said:
You made me go down memory lane today, Pericles. I listened to EVERYTHING!!! Played piano and clarinet too...lol Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis, Creedence Clearwater, Crosby, Stills & Nash; Led Zepellin, Greatful Dead, Barry Manilow, Sting, Michael Jackson...and on,,,,and on. I only have to hear one of the old songs and it takes me back to a moment in time: who I was with, what we were doing, etc..

BTW, her name was Minnie Riperton.

I have found three spellings of her name: Riperton, Ripperton, and Ripleton.

Anybody got an old album cover they can check?

Minnie Riperton. will be remembered as one of the best singers of the last century and her fame is growing.

Thank you all that have sent me emails about her.

The 1970s had the best music .
I think it depends which decade you were in the 15-21 age bracket. For many people (myself included) music was never more important than during those years. For me it was Ride which was an entry pass into shoegazing; Moose, Slowdive, MBV, JAMC etc... but there was plenty more besides - the early Mercury Rev albums, Pavement, and whatever particular incarnation of Palace that Will Oldham was releasing music under at the time. I never thought it would happen to me but now I've reached that age where I find it increasingly difficult to find any new music that I like and I find myself repeating phrases my father shouted when I had Slanted and Enchanted on 11 in my bedroom all those moons ago...

Back