My next door neighbor is caughing for six days

Is there a coronavirus SWAT team? What if the whole building were to get infected? The ship Diamond Princess all started with one guy who was on the previous Cruise.

But seriously, is there really a coronavirus away team here?
If you are concerned about the whole building's health, do something for your neighbors and wipe all entrance door handles, and the elevator's button panel, twenty times a day. That should keep you busy enough to stop interfering with that poor woman.

Crises like this can bring out the best or the worst in us. What became of empathy and charity?

Really are you serious ? You cannot catch a virus from another apartment unless its 1.5 metres from yourself . We need to treat this with intelligence and not treat victims of this like lepers .

In less than 2 years 70 percent of all of us will have this disease and most will not even know it Less than 20 percent have serious symptoms and most have just a slight cold and feeling of malaise . The world must go on as shutting the world to this only buys a little time at best but the economic effects of this destroys economies for generations .

Of course you can catch it from anyone I your building, you are all using the same elevators, door Handles etc...

There are millions of germs and some viruses floating around us at all times . A normal influenza kills millions per year worldwide as does car accidents etc etc . We need to embrace life and of course take precuations but being paranoid and locked up in your home only will cause the destruction of western society .

Social distancing has created a tremendous paranoia in some people. look at this video of a english woman shopping in a plastic bubble .

Agreed, to perform some basic hygiene measures and no need to kiss or shake hands as we often do here. But yesterday I went to Jumbo, Palermo and I really felt I was in a Science fiction movie. People were in bizarre outfits and some of the behaviours was very aggressive!

And when I was walking down with 6 bags full of grocery shopping from Jumbo to my building...I was carrying probably 50 kgs..I stopped to catch my breath and a woman from a window shouted at me..I have no business to stand there ( on the street!!) and then I moved away to another location to catch my breath ( and another woman shouted at me from another window.."be careful, lot of robbers looking for someone like you to loot". - it was 4 pm and in a very posh part of Capital.)

welcome to new life in BA ( and rest of the world)!

Agreed, to perform some basic hygiene measures and no need to kiss or shake hands as we often do here. But yesterday I went to Jumbo, Palermo and I really felt I was in a Science fiction movie. People were in bizarre outfits and some of the behaviours was very aggressive!

Please elaborate (as in describe the agresssive behavior)!

when I was walking down with 6 bags full of grocery shopping from Jumbo to my building...I was carrying probably 50 kgs..I stopped to catch my breath and a woman from a window shouted at me..I have no business to stand there ( on the street!!) and then I moved away to another location to catch my breath ( and another woman shouted at me from another window.."be careful, lot of robbers looking for someone like you to loot". - it was 4 pm and in a very posh part of Capital.)

welcome to new life in BA ( and rest of the world)!

This (looters in the stores and robbers in the streest) is what I predicted in late January when I warned CC not to move to Capital Federal in February.

So far this is not happening where I live and is far lesss likely to, as the community is very small (1500) compared to BA. The local shops are still well stocked and being resupplied on a regular basis from distibutors in Punta Alta and Bahia Blanca.

While I can imagine it´s possible that the central warehouses could be looted, they are likely to be guarded by the military if the need arrises.

As long as what BC2 has said is true (Argentina, with a population of 40 million, produces enough food to feed 400 million) and the food production process does not break down, neither should the social order, at least not where I live.

Nonetheless, I am prepared not to leave my community (access to which can easily be limited to supply trucks) for many months.

Last edited:
Crises like this can bring out the best or the worst in us. What became of empathy and charity?

They evaporate when people fear for their own survival...

Those who prepared in advance (and not just to "insure" their own survival) are the ones who will be in the best position to help those who did not...

...of this I am absolutley certain.

They evaporate when people fear for their own survival...

Those who prepared in advance (and not just to "insure" their own survival) are the ones who will be in the best position to help those who did not...

...of this I am absolutley certain.

I like to congratulate Steve for his sensible posts and adapting to this crisis better than most of us . I remember when you moved to your little peace of paradise near Bahia Blanca that you have tremendous foresight in your decision process and this will help you live through this crisis better than most . Living in a big city can be a blessing financially but in a crisis like this one it can seriously backfire as you are competing against millions in similar situations for limited resources . In my small village the mood is much more relaxed than Buenos Aires and people once they know you are accepting and kind . How long the good mood will last here if food becomes scarce and non existent I cannot predict but smaller villages do offer some protections that are not available in the ciudad de furia .

How long the good mood will last here if food becomes scarce and non existent I cannot predict but smaller villages do offer some protections that are not available in the ciudad de furia .

If you want to do some gardening after retirement, it is your choice. But if you are trying to present it as some kind of a solution to a serious crisis, you are delusional. Those "smaller villagers" will go after your supplies as soon as their children start crying of starvation.

Back