My next door neighbor is caughing for six days

,,,, smaller villages do offer some protections that are not available in the ciudad de furia .

Smaller villages are fine as long as you are healthy. But what about if, in spite of your preparations, you do get the virus?

I have the ultimate hideout place in the countryside, with the nearest neighbor two miles away. But the ciudad de furia (love that!) has better hospitals, so I've choosen to ride the virus here.

Apart from that, for those with a large network of relatives and lifelong friends, being close to them trumps it all. I haven't stepped out in over two weeks - someone always does my shopping and drops it in the front yard, bless their generous hearts...!

However, I can see how Steve and Perry's option can be great for individuals without family or close ties. Here's hoping you keep safe and well....!

The future will be interesting. If you cough on a bus in Buenos Aires, Europe will go into lockdown just in case.

The hysteria of this virus is proving almost as dangerous as the virus itself. I say this as someone who back in early February was arguing with those who compared covid-19 to car accidents and influenza. It's turning society into a bunch of paranoid people that are ready to report and attack.

I read another example of this on the FB expat board today -

So yes, I eventually managed to move - as I had previously mentioned on this group BY applying for a permit and with the contract in my hands.
I had to do two different trips as I had too much stuff to carry.
Trip 1: perfect. Met the owner, got the keyes. BYE
Trip 2: it was a disaster. As I was trying to enter the building I had a this man (resident of the bld) standing in front of the main door, threatening to bit the shit out of me if I had dared to step into the place because "since we are in quarantine, I am not allowed to mve" and he also added "go back to your fxxng country, you fxxxing Mexican" which to be honest left me speechless.

I am not an idiot: I know we are in the middle of a pretty serious situation but I had to leave the apartment where I was staying and simply moved into this new one (which is literally 10 min away from the previous one). As far as I am concerned, I did what I was told to do by the police: apply for a permit and so I did.
Clearly the 911 was involved both from the side of this idiot (did he really think that because I am a foreigner, I am carrying the virus? also I have been in Buenos Aires for more than three months) and both from my side.
I eventually was let into the apartment. But apparently most of the residents were going to report me (what for? I had the papers) and even call the media (that's very soap-operesque but mind you, we Mexicans win when it comes to novelas). I had therefore to call 911 again and beg them to send two officers to actually speak to other tenants and made them understand the situation.
My two points are:
1) the situation is pretty serious - but we should all be a little bit more compassiate because if I am moving in the middle of this it's because I couldnt stay where I was.
2) also, werent they spreading more germs in the hall, while congregating to savage their anger against me?
I am not a victim, I just truly find this very pathetic.
And now I am waiting to have some groceries delivered as the officer advised me NOT TO LEAVE the building (not even to get food) for a couple of days.
Seriously....
I feel more hurt about the "foreign comment", tbh!
Anyway, just sharing this. The police said I was in the right so if ANYBODY else is moving, I hope you just dont bump in the same kinf od neighbors and yes do have your permit contract and passport with you.
Stay safe!!!

@Weyland. What a mess.

Telecentro called me last week and wanted to come to check my internet because we had complained about it a few weeks back. They were going to come Saturday morning and I was ok with it because, well, my interet sucks. However, on Saturday I just thought it would be more hassle than I need and considered the fact I would get dirty looks from people in the building. So, I cancelled.

Without wanting to start a new thread to ask, does anyone know the rules about going to a cash machine? I need to take money out later this week but will have to walk to the machine. The nearest one to me is about 1km away (so, a 2km round trip). Is that allowed?

Smaller villages are fine as long as you are healthy. But what about if, in spite of your preparations, you do get the virus?

The way I´m living now, if I do get the virus after the the first of April, it may be the first case of "Immaculate Infection" in medical history.

There is a neighborhood clinic just over one meter from my house and the nearest pharmacy is two blocks closer to me than the clinic. The nearest hospìtal is about a ten minute drive from there.

If I do get the virus (which I obviously think is highly unlikley to happen soon), I will self medicate with Polirreumin and antibiotics (to prevent any concomitant infections). I can, at the least, hope for a mild case of the virus which should leave me with sufficient immunity to reinfection. I will begin to self medicate as soon as anyone I know or have been near in less than two weeks is diagnosed positive (a time frame which is about to end).

have the ultimate hideout place in the countryside, with the nearest neighbor two miles away. But the ciudad de furia (love that!) has better hospitals, so I've choosen to ride the virus here.

My nearest neighbors are two hundred meters away, close enough to hear my alarm if I ever hit the panic button (literally), but not close enough to infect me with anything.

from that, for those with a large network of relatives and lifelong friends, being close to them trumps it all. I haven't stepped out in over two weeks - someone always does my shopping and drops it in the front yard, bless their generous hearts...!

I don´t need to go shopping agian for several months. The two neighbors behind me have chickens and hogs in relatively small numbers. The one in front of me has hundreds of chickens (for semi-comercial egg production). I have a good stash of mate to trade for eggs and chirizo if necesssary.

, I can see how Steve and Perry's option can be great for individuals without family or close ties.

Even though we aren´t in Capital Federal, I beleive Perry and I have quite different living situations at this time. Based on his posts, I beleive Perry left Capital Federal about two weeks ago. I can´t be absolutely certain, but my guess he is renting a place to live in a small town. I have no idea if (or how well) he knew anyone there prior to his arrival and I don´t know how welcoming they have been.

I arrived at my present location almost ten years ago and have close friends in the nearby village (actually a barrio) and in the city of Punta Alta, including a woman who is a member of the Policia Federal.

Here's hoping you keep safe and well....!

Thanks, and I wish the same to you and all members of this site, whereever they are, especially if they continue to pay their rent (as well as their electric, gas, water, internet, and cable bills) on time, even if there is a freeze in place for six months.

Last edited:
To semigoodlookin...

On being out - Around here it works like this: you need to go grocery shopping. The police stops you, and tells you to come back the same way with your groceries and sales slip. If you can produce them, it is OK.

Don't know about going to the ATM, but perhaps it works the same. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back