My Portano Experiance

Cuold be worse, you could be Japanese or Korean....you'd have to suffer being called Chino!

That must be grating, given the respective histories.

At least you get a nation specific nickname.
I remember a popular joke in Israel
An american,a canadian and an uruguayan get toguether and they start to complain.
ahh,bak in the states i was the jew,here im the american
ahh,back in canada,i was the jew,here im the canadian
you two,shut up,you dont know about suffering,back in montevideo i was the jew,here,they call me argentinian :D :D

Pensador, just curious, how's your (spoken) Spanish? I think you're confusing two concepts, the definition of a word, and how the people near you feel about those people. If porteño in your neck of the woods refers to someone from BA who has "bad manners", how do they refer to someone who is from BA that they like -- let me guess, porteño. And if its a Mendocino that's pissing them off I doubt they'd call him a porteño. Anyway I'm just saying the definition of a porteño is person from BA. Now whether or not they like them might be a different story. Just dont start dropping the word porteño into your conversations every time you want to refer to someone with bad manners, the people around you will just think you're referring to a guy from Capital. I mean when someone cuts you off you're not about to yell por "Que porteño!!" are you, it wouldn't make sense. If you do want to talk about someone you dont like you can use hijo de pu, gil, garca, pedazo de mierda, pelotudo, etc but not just porteño. Anyway now I need to know, is the person you were pissed off at actually from Buenos Aires or was he just a jerk and you thought that the word for jerk was portano?

My wife says I sometimes sound like a "Porteño de Avellaneda" - which I argue, technically at least, isn't a Porteño at all.

But you have understand Uruguayans do have manners and are much more socially aware then (sic) the typical Argentinian from BA.

I for one find the "typical Argentinian from BA" to have manners and are very socially aware (9 years' experience). It seems your buying into stereotypes. Stereotypes are insidious. For example; American's who can't spell or use the correct words in English (there native tongue). :)

Your telling them GS! I'm American to. I spell grate. And all my friends there grate spellers to.

Call me a napoletana and I will spit in your face. (Btw, even in Italian calling someone who is not Neapolitan a Neapolitan is perceived as an insult, because people from Naples have a bad reputation in the popular culture - for example if someone is trying to scam you and you call him a Neapolitan, he is not going to be happy about it).

Anyway, I consulted with my Argie family. Grandpa says that "tano" is not an insult per se, but can be used in a derogatory fashion.
The same for porteño, when said by an Uruguayan or by someone who doesn't like people from CF.

*Of course tano cannot be derived from italiano (there is no 'tano' in the word italiano), it is just used to address Italians.

So Napolitanos are considered chantas? Naples has produced some great things like Sofia Loren, for example.

Seriously, though. Putting perejil on your milanesas isn't such a big deal when you think about it. If she'd swiped your wallet, than it would be different. I would have told her that since she decided to take over the cooking, that she can take over the cleaning as well.

Seriously, though. Putting perejil on your milanesas isn't such a big deal when you think about it. If she'd swiped your wallet, than it would be different. I would have told her that since she decided to take over the cooking, that she can take over the cleaning as well.

Knowing how much "porantos" (new spelling based on my personal experiences) hate spicy food, I think the best way to retaliate would have been to stir massive amounts of ground black pepper into the sauce prior to serving the malanesas.

Revenge (in this case) would have been a dish best served hot...very, very, hot.

Especially if you made sure the surreptitious season-er got the first serving and took the first bite.

Who knows, the results might have been even more than you expected or hoped for:

They might have just got up and left right then.
emo32.gif

Back