My prices are out of control whine.

France is exceptionally expensive when it comes to produce. Here in Spain, a kilo of fruit or veg is usually around 1 euro, perhaps 1.50, almost never more than 2. And coffee (tueste natural) is less than 2 euro per 250 grams :D (unless you want Lavazza, which comes in at a whopping 2.89 per 1/4 kilo.)

Oh, I feel your pain, Citygirl! My small purchase of potatos at Discovirtual came in at $42 and I just about had a fit! When potatos become the luxury item in a meal, something is very wrong!
I finally bought myself a breadmaker because I could no longer deal with the stress of paying $16 for a loaf of very average bread 3 times a week! (and no, I couldn't make bread without the breadmaker, I'd forget about it at the 'leave to rise' phase and find it in a very fermented state 5 days later). We are loving the homemade bread and I'm loving the feeling of actually taking a bit of control in my grocery bill.

Yep, we started baking our own bread about a year ago. It's about 9 pesos a kilo here but when you go through a kilo of bread a day, it's a lot to spend a week. Now I bake my own every day with the bread maker and it's a lot cheaper (and tastier I think!)

I'm just so dismayed - like I said, we are really conservative and price conscious - you have to be when feeding that many people a day. But every time I go to the supermarket, it's worse and worse. We're serving a lot more rice based dishes rather than potatoes now. And the beans are a good suggestion, those are still cheap to buy in bulk at makro. Just need to remember to put them in water the night before.

starlucia said:
France is exceptionally expensive when it comes to produce. Here in Spain, a kilo of fruit or veg is usually around 1 euro, perhaps 1.50, almost never more than 2. And coffee (tueste natural) is less than 2 euro per 250 grams :D (unless you want Lavazza, which comes in at a whopping 2.89 per 1/4 kilo.)

5 kilos of sweetest strawberries 2 euros...crazy cheap..im still in shock!

AngelinBA said:
When potatos become the luxury item in a meal, something is very wrong!

Lol thanks:)...being Irish we eat potatoes as a side dish to pasta...

fifs2 said:
AngelinBA said:
When potatos become the luxury item in a meal, something is very wrong!

Lol thanks:)...being Irish we eat potatoes as a side dish to pasta...

Pizza and chips is a delicacy in certain parts of the world !!

I totally agree. We live in the USA and we spend less money on groceries than we did in Buenos Aires and we eat MUCH better, we don't wait in line 45 minutes, and we can get everything we can possibly want.

That's one of the best things I like about being in the USA again. Love love love the grocery store efficiency, options and prices.

citygirl said:
Yep, we started baking our own bread about a year ago. It's about 9 pesos a kilo here but when you go through a kilo of bread a day, it's a lot to spend a week. Now I bake my own every day with the bread maker and it's a lot cheaper (and tastier I think!)

I'm just so dismayed - like I said, we are really conservative and price conscious - you have to be when feeding that many people a day. But every time I go to the supermarket, it's worse and worse. We're serving a lot more rice based dishes rather than potatoes now. And the beans are a good suggestion, those are still cheap to buy in bulk at makro. Just need to remember to put them in water the night before.
Do you cook for your employees everyday. Sounds like a great deal if your an employee and someone else is picking up the food tab?

ghost said:
Do you cook for your employees everyday. Sounds like a great deal if your an employee and someone else is picking up the food tab?

Yep. Not talking about my (former) office job. But here at home. So in general, there are between 8-10 people here for lunch every day. It's a nice perk I think.

Back