My prices are out of control whine.

As I tell my wife , wherever we are , US , Italy , Caribbean or here , we gotta eat !!! One needs to be a little careful and pay attention when shopping. Food prices are high all over the World. And do not expect them to get cheaper anytime soon. AT least we can get some good inexpensive wines to go along with our awful cheese.

earlyretirement said:
I totally agree. We live in the USA and we spend less money on groceries than we did in Buenos Aires and we eat MUCH better, we don't wait in line 45 minutes, and we can get everything we can possibly want.

That's one of the best things I like about being in the USA again. Love love love the grocery store efficiency, options and prices.

If you are suggesting to us that the quality of life is better in the US because one may visit an industrial super-sized super-market to buy industrial chemical-infested fruits and vegetables and corn syrup infused processed food product to consume in one's home then, frankly, I'll pass on your US dream.

It appears one of nicest parts of living in the US for you is spending your time on a computer visiting right here those of us in BsAs, letting people 5000 miles from you know how great your life is now that you left BsAs. Go USA. Cin-cin!

BsAs' charming side is exactly the opposite of what you who went to earlyretirement in the US describe as living la vita loca or la dolce vita in the US.

Let me remind you that avoiding the supermarket in favor of the local carniceria and verduleria is a daily pleasure of living life in BsAs. Finding an ugly tomato in BsAs versus the perfect GMO tomato in the US is the pleasure of life in BsAs. Seeing the cheese cut in front of me and the beef butchered and ground in front of me is the pleasure of life in BsAs. Smelling the freshly baked bread wafting through the streets is the pleasure of life here. Waiting in line with my neighbors for ravioli and tortellini is the pleasure of life in BsAs.

For those who prefer super-sized industrial food product full of corn syrup and chemicals all of which can be purchased in under 5 minutes and have you consuming in 7 minutes then it is true that bsAs is not the place for you.

The good life is in how we perceive things.

Peace.

che said:
If you are suggesting to us that the quality of life is better in the US because one may visit an industrial super-sized super-market to buy industrial chemical-infested fruits and vegetables and corn syrup infused processed food product to consume in one's home then, frankly, I'll pass on your US dream.

No, I'm saying the quality of life is better because of the millions of other reasons out there.

I'm not saying I don't love Argentina and many things about Argentina but the supermarkets and the prices at the supermarkets aren't one of them. And that was the point of this thread.

Please spare us your rants.

I own a company and office in Argentina, I have employees in Argentina, I have family and friends in Argentina, I own properties in Argentina. I still spend time in Argentina.

I think that still gives me the right to post my opinions about the place. No problem at all if you want to pass up on the USA dream.

But please spare us the diatribe.

citygirl said:
Yep, we started baking our own bread about a year ago. It's about 9 pesos a kilo here but when you go through a kilo of bread a day, it's a lot to spend a week. Now I bake my own every day with the bread maker and it's a lot cheaper (and tastier I think!)

Note to self ... buy a bread maker!

My wife has gotten this idea in her head that planting a bunch of pots on our balconies with vegetables and other stuff would be a fun learning project for our kids. I seriously doubt it. Nothing will compete with Angry Birds for a while. Besides, I grew up on a farm hoeing, cutting, and pulling so I don't have that fantasy. At this point I might suggest she just cover the cement with a foot of dirt and see how much she can grow.

Anyone know of any urban co-op gardens in BsAs? Or, is that too much of a stretch for this part of the world? I saw the dilapitaded PH across the street from my apartment in Colegiales had chickens and a rooster. That's a start ...

I do kinda miss the cock crowing at the break of dawn.

che said:
I

The good life is in how we perceive things.

I do admit that Argentina has positive aspects about it. But part of the "good life" to me means:

- Not having to look over my shoulder when I'm using my Iphone or Ipad out on the street

- Being able to cross the street at a random street knowing full well that if the light is green and I have a walk signal that I most likely won't get hit by a car

- Being able to get a package without expecting to get extorted into paying some phantom tax

- Going to my favorite restaurant and not having the restaurant price change each week

- Having a 99% probability that the car 3 lanes over to my left won't try to turn right at the next light (or generally have 99% of the drivers being HORRIBLE)

- Having dinner with my wife without her having to put her purse between her legs during the ENTIRE dinner

- Going to the grocery store and being able to find what I want when I want

- My HOA fee stays the same each year rather than go up 20%+ a year like my condo fee has done in Buenos Aires

- Being able to fire an employee if I catch them stealing from me without the fear they will sue me

- Being able to buy dollars at the going exchange rate or have the comfort and safety that funds I have on deposit will be protected

- Comfort of knowing my Internet won't go out for days on end

- Not having to pay 21% IVA on everything I buy

- Being able to EASILY return something in the store if it doesn't work (most stores will accept returns up to 30 days after you purchase it)

- Actually getting someone that works in a store to help you and generally good customer service in most stores

- When I get a quote on a job that I need not having to worry about someone trying to cheat you on the price

- I don't have to worry about public transportation going on strike for days/weeks on end (or dying in some antiquated trains in the event of an accident)

- Don't have to worry about random restrictions/controls popping up each week that are totally crazy

- Taking comfort in knowing IF I had to go to a random police station for something they would actually be helpful

- Being able to buy electronics that aren't inflated 300%

- Being able to get great Mexican/Chinese/Japanese/Indian/Greek/ You fill in the blank food at restaurants very easily and very affordably (Or going to a restaurant and actually seeing more than salads, pasta, pizza, meat on the menu)

- I can use my nice camera wherever I want without worrying about possibly getting stabbed from someone trying to steal it

- Not having to worry about giving my employees a 25% to 30% mandatory raise each year

- When I go to the office I don't have to worry about protestors blocking the road on a weekly basis

- I don't have to worry about people making change when I pay for something in the store or a "no moneda" sign.

- Nice fact actually seeing some diversity and actually seeing people of color every day

- The buses here don't have black billowing soot/smoke coming out and the air quality is 1000 X better

- Not having to pay cash for a place to buy here and not having to show up at closing with $100 bills (I can pay for my property over 15 or 30 years at a cheap interest rate)

- People that actually understand what the word "ethical" means

- When people mail me a letter I actually get it in a few days vs. weeks/months/never

- Not having my electricity or gas bill go up 250% overnight

- I don't have to worry about my car window getting smashed at the stop light from a motorcycle thief

- Being able to get my dishwasher or washing machine fixed without some random part taking 3 months or more to get into the country

These are just things I can think of in 5 minutes. I can add many many more. I do agree "good life" is all subjective.

earlyretirement said:
I do admit that Argentina has positive aspects about it. But part of the "good life" to me means:

- Not having to look over my shoulder when I'm using my Iphone or Ipad out on the street

- Being able to cross the street at a random street knowing full well that if the light is green and I have a walk signal that I most likely won't get hit by a car

- Being able to get a package without expecting to get extorted into paying some phantom tax

- Going to my favorite restaurant and not having the restaurant price change each week

- Having a 99% probability that the car 3 lanes over to my left won't try to turn right at the next light (or generally have 99% of the drivers being HORRIBLE)

- Having dinner with my wife without her having to put her purse between her legs during the ENTIRE dinner

- Going to the grocery store and being able to find what I want when I want

- My HOA fee stays the same each year rather than go up 20%+ a year like my condo fee has done in Buenos Aires

- Being able to fire an employee if I catch them stealing from me without the fear they will sue me

- Being able to buy dollars at the going exchange rate or have the comfort and safety that funds I have on deposit will be protected

- Comfort of knowing my Internet won't go out for days on end

- Not having to pay 21% IVA on everything I buy

- Being able to EASILY return something in the store if it doesn't work (most stores will accept returns up to 30 days after you purchase it)

- Actually getting someone that works in a store to help you and generally good customer service in most stores

- When I get a quote on a job that I need not having to worry about someone trying to cheat you on the price

- I don't have to worry about public transportation going on strike for days/weeks on end (or dying in some antiquated trains in the event of an accident)

- Don't have to worry about random restrictions/controls popping up each week that are totally crazy

- Taking comfort in knowing IF I had to go to a random police station for something they would actually be helpful

- Being able to buy electronics that aren't inflated 300%

- Being able to get great Mexican/Chinese/Japanese/Indian/Greek/ You fill in the blank food at restaurants very easily and very affordably (Or going to a restaurant and actually seeing more than salads, pasta, pizza, meat on the menu)

- I can use my nice camera wherever I want without worrying about possibly getting stabbed from someone trying to steal it

- Not having to worry about giving my employees a 25% to 30% mandatory raise each year

- When I go to the office I don't have to worry about protestors blocking the road on a weekly basis

- I don't have to worry about people making change when I pay for something in the store or a "no moneda" sign.

- Nice fact actually seeing some diversity and actually seeing people of color every day

- The buses here don't have black billowing soot/smoke coming out and the air quality is 1000 X better

- Not having to pay cash for a place to buy here and not having to show up at closing with $100 bills (I can pay for my property over 15 or 30 years at a cheap interest rate)

- People that actually understand what the word "ethical" means

- When people mail me a letter I actually get it in a few days vs. weeks/months/never

- Not having my electricity or gas bill go up 250% overnight

- I don't have to worry about my car window getting smashed at the stop light from a motorcycle thief

- Being able to get my dishwasher or washing machine fixed without some random part taking 3 months or more to get into the country

These are just things I can think of in 5 minutes. I can add many many more. I do agree "good life" is all subjective.

Hi, I didnt read the entire post because it is too long but I wish to refute a couple of things:
- USA is just as dangerous as Bs As. I lived in Washington DC for almost three years and -although i LOVE DC- i got stolen twice in Dupont Circle (one of the safest areas) and I was in the middle of a gang shooting in Columbia Heights (not so safe, but similar to San Telmo here I guess).
- Drivers in the USA are also LOUSY AND RUDE. I used to ride a bike and I got ran over by a car once, I was doored many times and it was usual to hear a honk from an ignorant car driver. None of this ever happened to me while living in Belgium or Sweden :)

At least your supermarket bill was under $1000 or you would have had to do paperwork. ;)

Just today I was reading a rant by an Argentine that has been out of the country for 6 months and they wouldn't check him out because it was over $1,000. He was given the choice to either pick the most important items, or cancel everything. After arguing a bit, he got a factura B. (Because it was debit they couldn't ring him up twice.)

So beware if you're eating too much... AFIP will be after you! ;)

Contrary to a post here i find lots of natural food in the us and lots of chemically treated food in argentina including beef. Just take Whole Foods. You can get all kinds of natural or organic products, just about anything you want. Then there are farmers markets . Is the person who wrote that post someone who has never lived in the US?

sergio said:
Contrary to a post here i find lots of natural food in the us and lots of chemically treated food in argentina including beef. Just take Whole Foods. You can get all kinds of natural or organic products, just about anything you want. Then there are farmers markets . Is the person who wrote that post someone who has never lived in the US?

It depends entirely on where you live. In San Francisco, for example, you can find a lot of organic produce and high quality product in general. However, you will pay a premium for those.

You can also find produce laden with pesticides, processed food, etc. It's cheaper and in some neighborhoods that is the only option. Outside of major cities, this is the norm.

That said, there is a lot of shitty, processed food in Argentine supermarkets. And I am sure most of the produce in the verdus have plenty of pesticides. Not sure if the average tomato, etc. is GMO.

I do know that 90% of the soybeans ARE, but that is another topic.

Back