My prices are out of control whine.

che said:
Seeing the cheese cut in front of me and the beef butchered and ground in front of me is the pleasure of life in BsAs.

When I go to a grocery store in the states, I see a massive array of delicious cheeses from all over the world. When I go to a Queseria here I see 4 or 5 kinds of bland tasteless crap in in varying consistencies.

PhilipDT said:
When I go to a grocery store in the states, I see a massive array of delicious cheeses from all over the world. When I go to a Queseria here I see 4 or 5 kinds of bland tasteless crap in in varying consistencies.

Plasticine cheese on cotton wool bread..Paris of the South?..oh how the french wept!

PhilipDT said:

Oh so true! Even mediocre grocery stores here have almost an entire aisle full of delicious cheese here in the USA. Wonderful varieties from all over.

Or go to a Whole Foods and forget about it! Amazing and so polite and friendly and you can sample whatever you want.

"Bland tasteless crap". LOL. I can't think of a better way to describe the cheeses there. To think a local would use that example of one of the positive things in Argentina vs. the USA I don't think is the best example.

Here in the USA, at the stores I go to, they cut the cheese in front of me as well and it actually is delicious and fresh!

And to be honest, even the steaks that I get here in the States is really delicious. I will admit Argentina has excellent steaks. Although several times at the supermarket there I have spotted packages with expired meats for sale. Probably because the vast majority of locals couldn't afford it.

I don't want people to think this is about bashing Argentina because it's not. I think people should be willing to admit the supermarkets here in the States, the freshness and variety of the food here is something to be embraced.

Also, even the restaurants there are more and more "farm to table" type restaurants popping up that have extremely fresh food. Absolutely delicious!

Again, I love Argentina and will continue to go there and spend time there probably until I die. But I have to call them like I see them on quality of life issues.

I've noticed another big hike in our food costs over the past month too. Our diet is largely veggie-based and just eating-in, we're now paying around 2,000 pesos per month (for two people)...and that's for pretty basic stuff (olive oil, tinned tomatoes, flour, pulses, veggies, etc).
My cat food has gone up from 90 pesos last month to 112 this month for two kilos.
The biggest shock are pharmacy-type goods. I paid 130 pesos for a basic moisturizer (the same brand in the UK, Avene, costs half as much) and our regular shampoo, conditioner, soap, cotton wool, etc costs are now over 300 pesos per month.

Back