Birth Certificate for Permanent Residency NOT necessary?

amcarey

Registered
After marrying an Argentine last February, I finally made it down to immigrations and turned in all of my paperwork in order to receive my permanent residency, the "precaria", which I will use until my DNI shows up in the mail. Everything went very smoothly, but I was surprised by the fact that they never asked me for my state issued birth certificate, which I had already apostillado, translated, legalized, and photocopied. Anyone else have a similar experience? Does this mean the birth certificate is no longer necessary?

A year ago they looked at my birth certificate but did not keep it. I was applying for temporary, not permament residency. But the migraciones website still lists the birth certificate as a requirement for permanent residency, but not for temporary. Everyone has such difference experiences when applying for residency so maybe it just depends on who you get at migraciones!

As always with these types of things, it's better to have more documentation than not enough. :) It's probably a safe bet to have a copy of your birth certificate just in case.

Grats on your residency and marriage!

They kept mine & my sons Birth Certificates. And then 6 moths later told us we had to take it to the US Embassy (we live in Bariloche) & have a letter typed up saying that my passport & BC were the same person. After coming home to give it to them they tols us we were supposed to then take it somewhere else in BA to get that signature authenticated. It's always something new. They said every detail is listed on their website, but neither myself or my husband could find it anywhere. I haven't gotten my DNI yet because the FBI keeps screwing up my background check. Turns out you don't need it if you get the interpol report back. It takes about a year they say & since I've been waiting that long for the FBI to get my paperwork right, I'm not going to bother again with the fingerprints.

Hey I had a similar experience! Did you already have a DNI for temporary residency or something? When I went last month they didn't even want to see either my birth certificate OR my fbi report (which I had gone through a whole lot of trouble to get, apostille, and translate!!) They said it was because I already had a DNI, so they didn't need those documents. I was wary, but sure enough, last week my DNI tarjeta AND libreta showed up at my door :) So all should be good.

Nope, I don't have a DNI. My kids should be getting their DNI's anyday now, but I either have to wait for the interpol report or go through the FBI process again. Now if only my Argentina husband would stop talking about how screwed up this country is & how we should move back to Florida I would be less stressed. I'm the one talking him into being here these days.

When I applied for permanent residency in March of this year, I was initially told that the birth certificate had been dropped as a requirement. So, I handed in my stack of paperwork, minus the birth certificate. Of course, the very next day I received a phone call from a worker at Migraciones asking me to bring in my birth certificate. :rolleyes:

Nicole_Ramirez said:
I am amazed they called you, lol

I did most of my residency paperwork at a small outpost of Migraciones at the Prefectura Naval in Quequén (I live on the coast in Necochea), so the level of service was pretty darn good. They know me by name now. :)

Can anyone follow up on this? Is the BC needed or not? It seems ridiculous that it is needed, as my place of birth is clearly stated on my passport. Furthermore, you'd think that they'd trust that the U.S. government had a look at my birth certificate before issuing me a passport...

Back