Need Advice - rent in dollars

TrevorCito said:
If you have exhausted all other avenues and your landlord still wont play ball then suggest involving Afip somehow. I recently read a thread where somebody did this and the landlord backed down.
Also went to AFIP and filled a form out. Nothing ever materialized from that either.

Since most expats are still largely unaware of the laws regarding renting short term.

A short term furnished apartment, by law cannot be more than 6 months long. If it is more than 6 months, it is not a legal contract and can be terminated at any point by either party without any legal consequences.

Temporary furnished property rentals must have the contact made out in dollars. Must. Whether it has to be paid in dollars is not concerned here.

In my opinion, hold your ground. Offer to pay the official exchange rate and avoid getting into any heated arguments that are only going to make it work. The longer you wait for things here, the more likely you are to get what you want. If the landlord starts to think that you will leave (which you can do given the fact that technically, your contract is not legal) then they will most likely accept pesos at the official exchange rate.

I will point out that I am not a lawyer, there is a chance i could be wrong about the first two points that I made, but that it how it has been explained to me by lawyers as well as people who work in real estate here.

This is all really turning into a huge mess. It's a shame really.

I can't give you any advice but to speak frankly, firmly but friendly to your landlord and say you have the same problem they have and you shouldn't have have to be the one to bear all the burden of this new decreto. Then see if you can't come to the best rate possible.

Good luck. I feel for you.

bradlyhale said:
When did you go buy dollars? Has anyone taken ATM receipts showing the transaction taking place that same day (as well as a valid passport with a non-expired visa) to buy dollars at a bank (recently)? Heck, I think I might do it tomorrow just to report back here and see how the experience goes. It's been a few weeks since this regulation went into effect; one would think that it had been resolved for those who show proof of income.

I tried that and it didn't work but by all means give it a shot. Seemed like every time I tried I was given a different excuse, actually became kind of fun trying to predict the different reasons they would provide for not allowing me to buy dollars. Because in reality there shouldn't be a reason for denying me (a US citizen earning dollars), it is ridiculous.

To the OP my recommendation would be to find someone to buy dollars on the black market. It's going for about 4.7 right now, really sucks but you kind of boxed yourself in by signing an agreement to pay in dollars. Or try to agree with your landlord on a reduced rate (maybe 4.5?).

va2ba said:
A short term furnished apartment, by law cannot be more than 6 months long. If it is more than 6 months, it is not a legal contract and can be terminated at any point by either party without any legal consequences.

This is wrong. When a contract is longer than 6 month the law says that this is a normal 2 years contract. Even if you don t have a contract at all, the law assumes you have a 2 year contract.

It means that after 6 months you can send a carta documento and the owner cannot evict you, if you pay, until the 24 months are over.

va2ba said:
Temporary furnished property rentals must have the contact made out in dollars. Must.

Wrong. Contracts in dollars for housing are forbidden by the law. Please read the other thread, my explanations there.

va2ba said:
I will point out that I am not a lawyer, there is a chance i could be wrong about the first two points that I made, but that it how it has been explained to me by lawyers as well as people who work in real estate here.

I am a local attorney. Sorry, they lie you.

Regards

cruizes said:
It has been my experience that even if you send a carta documento and ask for a mediation that the landlord simply says that they don't want to get involved. And of course the mediation department does nothing to help you. This happened to me and to this day I have still been screwed by a greedy landlord.

A carta documento is a first step. This carta documento should say that as soon as the contract is longer than 6 months, then it is a normal 2 years contract and he cannot evict you until the 24 months are over.
You can also assert that the law forbidds the contracts in dollars and that you are going to convert it in pesos at 4, 2something or you are going to start legal actions and to make the payment at Court.

The carta documento here protects you against eviction. A carta documento properly done by a lawyer cost all inclusive about 150 pesos. Not big deal. Lawyers in this country aren t expensive.

If you don t agree with him, then you have the mediation.

If he doesn t show up, you start a case at Court where you pay the rent at a bank account opened for the case. There the judge is going to say that it is a 2 years contract and you must pay in pesos and he is going to say how much. The fee of a lawyer is 20 percent paid by the losser, in this case the landlord. The judge sentence how much the losser has to pay.

For all that, you need a lawyer.

Regards

I recently found out my next door neighbor works at AFIP hehe, she found me and did my tramite in 10 minutes :) I wouldn't have even recognized her had she not came up to me hehe
I could ask her what to do in such a situation and maybe I could get her to call these landlords to scare them out. She is cool and always looking to help and was even going to hook me up with discounted wine lol

Bajo_cero2 said:
This is wrong. When a contract is longer than 6 month the law says that this is a normal 2 years contract. Even if you don t have a contract at all, the law assumes you have a 2 year contract.

It means that after 6 months you can send a carta documento and the owner cannot evict you, if you pay, until the 24 months are over.

Wrong. Contracts in dollars for housing are forbidden by the law. Please read the other thread, my explanations there.

I am a local attorney. Sorry, they lie you.

Regards

Then feel free to tell us where in the law it says this...the last one you posted did not mention either of these two points.

Back