Need Help! Ban On Private Parcels To Argentina

Irishche

Registered
So my Atm card stopped working about a week after I arrived 3 months ago... My parents ordered a new one and sent it to me through normal post but it never arrived surprise surprise. Last monday they sent a small package with DHL at a 70 euro cost and it has been in the airport since thursday or friday. My girlfriend called them today and they say there is a ban on private packages and if I want it I have to go to the airport and hire a "Customs Bróker" who will fill out all the papers, I have to state where the goods were made and so on. All that's in the package is my ATM card, my Irish Rugby Jersey that I forgot and a pack of malteasers for my girlfriend! Has anyone had to deal with this bullshit before? how much will it cost to hire this "Customs Bróker"? I'm so pissed off, I've been using my credit in Atm's which cost 35 pesos each time.

Ask your parents to contact DHL at their end and ask for a more coherent explanation! Sounds like someone wants a bribe. First be clear about what happened when your girlfriend contacted "them", did she speak to DHL at the BsAs end, or just someone at the airport? Good luck!

Ask your parents to contact DHL at their end and ask for a more coherent explanation! Sounds like someone wants a bribe. First be clear about what happened when your girlfriend contacted "them", did she speak to DHL at the BsAs end, or just someone at the airport? Good luck!
We went into the DHL office on Avenida Belgrano, our apartment is 1 block away. They said it's in the airport and gave us the DHL number for Ezeiza. They´re saying it's a law! We rang back and asked them what the cost of this bróker is and they said they don't know... the whole thing sounds dodgey. 30 years of democracy on thursday and I can't get an atm card and a packet of sweets into the country! My mom is calling DHL in Ireland

should have sent registered mail, things tend to arrive that way, although its slow.

Also does azimo/exchange4free not work from ireland? its costing you a fortune to use your card in the cash machines here.

I would recommend sending your ATM/Credit cards separately in a letter size envelope. I have always received them directly to my door that way.

For packages, it comes down to luck. Many things get held up in customs - large and small, expensive and worthless. There are many stories on baexpats of people being asked to pay more than an item is worth to get it out.

Edit: The last time my friend sent my new cc from the US, it did get held up in customs and was opened before I received it. My friend tried to be too sneaky and packed it in a big bunch of blank papers. It did, however, make it to my door.

I always have small packages sent regular mail so they won't get flagged in customs but it always takes 2 months for them to arrive. Can you cancel your card and have it mailed in an envelope?

So my Atm card stopped working about a week after I arrived 3 months ago... My parents ordered a new one and sent it to me through normal post but it never arrived surprise surprise. Last monday they sent a small package with DHL at a 70 euro cost and it has been in the airport since thursday or friday. My girlfriend called them today and they say there is a ban on private packages and if I want it I have to go to the airport and hire a "Customs Bróker" who will fill out all the papers, I have to state where the goods were made and so on. All that's in the package is my ATM card, my Irish Rugby Jersey that I forgot and a pack of malteasers for my girlfriend! Has anyone had to deal with this bullshit before? how much will it cost to hire this "Customs Bróker"? I'm so pissed off, I've been using my credit in Atm's which cost 35 pesos each time.

1. Yes, you will have to go to Ezeiza to pick up your package. If it was just a letter, it would have probably been able to get through customs no problem, although DHL and other private couriers often do require visits to Ezeiza no matter what. You will have to pay customs tax on the package value (your used shirt, debit card, etc.) and the courier cost. I believe it is 50%. As of 5 years ago, you didnt need a broker, but you do need a whole day to do everything, more if there is food, or anything similar.

Another option is to have your parents call DHL in Ireland to see if they can put pressure on the company down here to get it through, may or may not work.

2. Normal Post was not arriving for the past 1 or 2 weeks due to a strike of the delivery workers. They are back out on the streets today, so that posted one might get to you.

I had it mailed in an envelope the first time and it never showed up, I chose dhl because I could track it and an office is right beside my apt. I'll go to the airport tomorrow, I can see myself losing it with the goon who says I have to pay.

I had it mailed in an envelope the first time and it never showed up, I chose dhl because I could track it and an office is right beside my apt. I'll go to the airport tomorrow, I can see myself losing it with the goon who says I have to pay.

Yeah, losing it is not going to help, the security will kick you straight out... You will also need to pay storage, but you can probably get DHL to front that cost.

original card was posted 7 weeks ago or so... it's been cancelled too.

Back