Need help with Computer Issue!

zork said:
No point in shouting out random workarounds if all the information you post is 'it doesn't work', we need more info

what do you see when you go to gmail.com? page not found? or you can see the page but you can't click on anytihing? this is very important

have you restarted your modem and router?

deleting cookies and stuff won't do anything if you are saying it doesn't work on any browser, you are sure no one touched your router or your computer?

if you can run a ping www.gmail.com from a command line (DOS) box and post the outcome we could see what kind of problem you are dealing with.

if you did restart your modem and router and you do see a page not found on your browser when you try to access gmail.com, then do this

press windows key + R (as in run) that'll bring up the run window, then type CMD and hit enter, then tpye ping www.gmail.com and enter and post what you see

I have run ping www.gmail.com and it says that packets are sent and its 100% ok. However, I say "page can not load" when I open it in a browser. I try opening it in firefox, IE, and in Google chrome. I don't think it is my specific router that is the problem because I sign on to different wifi networks (around the city) and I still don't get to gmail.

I've deleted cookies and it still doesn't load. I'm meeting someone today about it that hopefully will be able to help. I really appreciate everyone's comments...I know its difficult to respond and assist when you can't see the problem itself.
In the different browsers I get 102 error messages and a message saying the site seems to be working but connection was refused. I'm just confused because I can get to any other site (yahoo mail, this site, facebook etc etc etc).

In any case, I'll delete the thread / reply if they figure out what is wrong so you all will know.

Thanks guys!

joannayoung said:
In any case, I'll delete the thread / reply if they figure out what is wrong so you all will know.
Don't - one day someone else may have an identical problem, so can find help in this thread.

Simply post a problem solved when ...

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, but ONLY with my Yahoo mail since that´s the service I use.
It started when I tried to run an old application and it ran afoul, causing my PC to crash, after which I couldn´t restart. So I had to uninstall that software while in safemode because there was no way to enter normal mode.

Even then, I still had trouble opening Windows. It was restarting before it finished opening. So in the msconfig START panel, I cancelled most pre-loading software except the Norton Internet Security and AntiVirus.

Only then was I able to reenter my user profile, and use EVERYTHING EXCEPT YAHOO MAIL.
I know it´s something to do with the Norton Internet Security, and it´s firewall, because it´s trying but failng to reinstall some "missing" thing.

The ONLY PAGES I can´t load are ALL THE LOGIN PAGES, for Yahoo, but maybe also for other services. YES... Just tried gmail and can´t get a sign-in page. It must have to do with the secure pages. I don´t see the "pad-lock" come out on any page anymore.

I´ve tried but can´t reconfigure my Norton NIS. I just get the main panel but can´t change any settings. Somehow it must be "stuck" and just in case it disables secure/encripted pages.

But I can´t take the risk of uninstalling it now, because I might ruin my entire system, and hardrive and I don´t have time yet to BACKUP ALL my data.

Capt Dave´s idea sounds the best for now.

You SHOULDN´T TRY to uninstall or install anything now until YOU BACKUP ALL your valuable-irreplaceable info-files.

ONLY THEN should you try to fix it, because if all else fails you will need to RE-INSTALL THE ENTIRE HARDDRIVE.

This is basically required after every 2-5 years anyway depending on how much you use your notebook, because it all just gets too clogged up. Just another basic flaw of the opertating system.
(probably to sell more PC´s-OS´s because people forget how FAST their old PC was when they just began using it)

joannayoung said:
...I can not reach Gmail from my computer.

BAJoe said:
I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, but ONLY ...

The ONLY PAGES I can´t load are ALL THE LOGIN PAGES, for Yahoo, but maybe also for other services. YES... Just tried gmail and can´t get a sign-in page. It must have to do with the secure pages. I don´t see the "pad-lock" come out on any page anymore.
Have you disabled redirect of webpages?

Add: or does your ISP (provider) block redirection?

When I access gmail in my webbrowser, I first get a question (from the browser) if I allow gmail to redirect to gmail.com.ar

BAJoe said:

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, but ONLY with my Yahoo mail since that´s the service I use.
It started when I tried to run an old application and it ran afoul, causing my PC to crash, after which I couldn´t restart. So I had to uninstall that software while in safemode because there was no way to enter normal mode.

Even then, I still had trouble opening Windows. It was restarting before it finished opening. So in the msconfig START panel, I cancelled most pre-loading software except the Norton Internet Security and AntiVirus.

Only then was I able to reenter my user profile, and use EVERYTHING EXCEPT YAHOO MAIL.
I know it´s something to do with the Norton Internet Security, and it´s firewall, because it´s trying but failng to reinstall some "missing" thing.

I´ve tried but can´t reconfigure my Norton NIS. I just get the main panel but can´t change any settings. Somehow it must be "stuck" and just in case it disables secure/encripted pages.

But I can´t take the risk of uninstalling it now, because I might ruin my entire system, and hardrive and I don´t have time yet to BACKUP ALL my data.

Capt Dave´s idea sounds the best for now.

You SHOULDN´T TRY to uninstall or install anything now until YOU BACKUP ALL your valuable-irreplaceable info-files.

ONLY THEN should you try to fix it, because if all else fails you will need to RE-INSTALL THE ENTIRE HARDDRIVE.

This is basically required after every 2-5 years anyway depending on how much you use your notebook, because it all just gets too clogged up. Just another basic flaw of the opertating system.
(probably to sell more PC´s-OS´s because people forget how FAST their old PC was when they just began using it)

You need to get rid of norton internet security, THAT's the virus, it causes way more problems than anythingelse.

but don't just uninstall it cause chances are it's gonna f*uck up your internet connection.

You need to search for the norton removal tool, just google it and you'll find it, download the one from symantec.com

Then, uninstall norton security through the normal process, then restart and run the norton removal.

then download AVG or whaever antivirus you like and it should all be fine. If yahoo is still not working then it's something else and you are gonna have to pay someone to fix it.

And people, stop worrying about your data, you can't erase all your data unless you do a full restore and click like 3 times on ok when it asks 'are you sure you want to wipe your entire hard drive?" You don't need to backup your entire hard drive before uninstalling an antivirus program or reinstlling your firefox

You can uninstall, install and do everything you want, programs won't touch your data, and if they do, they will ask you for confirmation, just read the buttons you click.

davonz said:
It could because you ISP is blocking gmail.

I could be because the host file has gmail set to 127.0.0.1 on windows xp/vista/7

open with notepad

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

if there is a line with gmail in it delete it.. would look like this..
127.0.0.1 gmail.com

I met with Joanna yesterday and was able to resolve her problem by following the quoted suggestion. There were a few addresses referenced in the HOSTS file to 127.0.0.1. It was easy to find the problem since pinging google.com at the command line resolved to 127.0.0.1. Removed the entries and restarted the computer.

Reminded me of the days when I used to have a job doing things like this...

It would be interesting to know who/what changed the host file as this is not usually touched..

Back