Nestor Kirchner has just passed

earlyretirement said:
Although I'm not a big fan of Nestor I think that it's important to note he did do some good things for Argentina as well.

Here is another link for a story.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/27/argentina.kirchner.impact/index.html?iref=allsearch

My biggest problem with the K's are their overwhelming drive to want to try to control the entire country. You must have a clear separation with Presidential, Judicial, Senate/Congress and they really tried dominating all of them or anyone else that spoke out against them including the newspapers.

Nestor was anything but democratic. The Kirchner style is authoritarian and anti-democratic. Their words about democracy are completely cynical. Peronism is an anti-democratic ideology with a fascist side. It appears to be populist to win support from the masses.

A little off the subject but has anybody heard from Cristina? Seems that some sort of statement even if released through others would be made. I haven't read anything as yet. Some statement reassuring the public etc., silence strikes me as a bit odd. Maybe she has and I just missed it.

"So farewell—to the little good you bear me.
Farewell? a long farewell to all my greatness!?

And what does the future hold for Argentina?

Cristina banned Vice President Cobos and former President Duhalde from attending the Pink House "velatorio". Apparently she's not so grief stricken as to forget old adversaries, and treat them like enemies.

I fear that's a sign of things to come.

dennisr said:
"So farewell—to the little good you bear me.
Farewell? a long farewell to all my greatness!?

And what does the future hold for Argentina?
I am not a Nestor supporter, however as he is gone and I am here, I will will give him one moment of recognition for his first 18 months at helm:
John Donne:..............

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

SaraSara said:
Cristina banned Vice President Cobos and former President Duhalde from attending the Pink House "velatorio". Apparently she's not so grief stricken as to forget old adversaries, and treat them like enemies.

I fear that's a sign of things to come.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

Someone suggested an "Isabel 2" scenario.

For those who read Spanish, I highly recommend this article by Nicolas Kasanzew

http://www.fmdelasamericas.com/index.php?item=1364

Here is a preview: "Siempre creí que la muerte no convierte a un miserable en buena persona sino en un miserable muerto.

Néstor Kirchner fue, según mi exclusiva e intransferible opinión, una persona malvada, vengativa y mezquina. Un tipo básicamente destructivo y profundamente egoísta."

Why a closed-coffin??? The death was not caused by an accident so shouldn't it have been open for viewing?

cruizes said:
Why a closed-coffin??? The death was not caused by an accident so shouldn't it have been open for viewing?

I've already heard something along the lines that he's only spending a year dead for tax purposes (like Zaphod Beeblebrox...) but maybe there are reasons why you wouldn't want to airfreight a corpse thousands of kilometres north for a few days then airfreight it back south again - I don't know - ask an undertaker.

As for my personal take on him: well, I think he was exactly the president Argentina needed in 2002 but the dynasty ceased to be what Argentina needed some time after that. One could argue that another president might have done just as well but that's just hypotheticising: Néstor was the one who got the job.

I expect a huge devaluation. IT import dollar price is at $4.07 for wholesale.

The day before Nestor died we were all selling technology at $4.00

Just wait, we will have dinner again at Puerto Madero for a few bucks soon.

Back